Not sure what to hunt here 07/20/2015 03:27 AM CDT

So I'm a warmage, 200ish weapons/defenses/magics. 38 str/stam/reflex/agi. Scavenger trolls are starting to train slow, and peccarys/swampies are just as slow, as are the hatchlings in throne city. I tried rock guardians. Too hard. Could barely land a hit, though they trained exceptionally well. Unfortunately I can't stick around long enough to learn anything useful. I'm old, and not sure how to get to these weird places like aesry or forfedhar. Can anyone point me in the direction of what I should be hunting?
Re: Not sure what to hunt here 07/20/2015 06:02 AM CDT
Elder brocket deer maybe? I know it's listed as 220 min, but that's pretty conservative. They're very easy for their difficulty range. It's also a fairly populated area.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elder_Red_Brocket_Deer

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Not sure what to hunt here 07/20/2015 10:12 AM CDT
I'm mostly fine in deer with 220 evasion and 200 shield/parry, FWIW. I hunt without buffs too so you'd have that going for you.

Thayet
Follow @thayelf on Twitter for absolutely nothing of any value whatsoever!
Re: Not sure what to hunt here 07/20/2015 12:10 PM CDT
Having just Passed this area, I would say Elder Deer or Giant Black Leucro (What I did) with Buffs.

Other options:

Scavenger Trolls - Will want to use elemental weapons or Brawling due to weapon grab
Cave Trolls - A bit harder, but worth it if you can get in as they teach for a long damn time.
Swamp Trolls (3rd Tier) - I've heard people have success with these. Having ES and possibly AC these are a fun choice.

I went:

Quartz Gargs -> Black Leucro -> Geni -> Fledgling Gryphons/Orc Bandits

Each transition was a bit tough, but a few extra healing trips isn't too bad.
Re: Not sure what to hunt here 07/20/2015 02:22 PM CDT
Orc scouts and wildcats (the ones in the maze) might work. If not, orc bandits (in the area when you cross the rope) might be what you need. I like it because I can get skins from the wildcats for skinning exp and boxes from the orcs for locksmithing exp.

FYI, I've found that it's a lot easier to swim downriver to Riverhaven than it is to swim upriver from Riverhaven. I can make it, though, which is great for avoiding the slow barge trip. I just have to take off all my armor.
Re: Not sure what to hunt here 07/20/2015 04:20 PM CDT

120 or so athletics is when I stopped failing that swim. Lower with buffs I'm sure.
Re: Not sure what to hunt here 07/20/2015 05:23 PM CDT
Downriver I can do with almost no RT and no Athletics exp, upriver I have to strip my armor and still manage to fail three or four times before I finally get through some rooms. Off the top of my head, I think my athletics is in the 160s.
Re: Not sure what to hunt here 07/20/2015 07:31 PM CDT
~150 Athletics and 30 strength is what I needed to start doing the river going north.

Black leucros are great...sometimes. The black leucro area has been a bit of a frustrating ordeal for me for the past few weeks. You'll be struggling with the spawn, which is quite low, compounded by the size of the area, and frequently screwed up by other hunters not killing the ones on them. It was bad enough that I took to poaching them off other people (after asking permission, and waiting a minute for any response) to lock my weapons, but that's not an option everyone will want to do. There are also AFK or semi-AFK lumberjackers in there constantly now and they semi-frequently would get advanced on by mobs in my room which would hang their script. And while this probably isn't a concern to you, I'm playing a Necromancer which adds an extra dimension of frustrating since somebody being in the room messes up both my debilitation and thanatology training. Womp womp.

Orc scouts and wildcats are okay. They also have spawn issues, but they were teaching me evasion a bit higher after leucros stopped, though orc scouts being ranged users can be a bit frustrating if you're trying to get enough on you to teach defenses. Being able to get boxes is a nice perk.

Elder deer teach everything way better than both though while having amazing spawn. The only real difficulty with elder deer is that the mana there, at least for Necro and Life, is trash, and the area is extremely tiny so it can be hard to get a room, much less one with good mana.

Thayet
Follow @thayelf on Twitter for absolutely nothing of any value whatsoever!