Which gryphons to hunt? 07/18/2013 09:13 AM CDT
I have a plan to head to gryphons fairly soon, and I'd like to get an idea of which gryphons will be better for me.

I'm a barb looking to get my combat skills up to around 250 in Evasion and Shield, my 2 primary weapons into the 240's, and my 3rd weapon into the 220's. After that, I'm hoping to move to Gryphons. What I'd like to know is which of the two gryphon places will get me the ability to do the following:

1. Backtrain other weapons - I have about 6 weapons at 60 ranks, I'd like a place nearby that I can backtrain these weapons effectively.
2. Backtrain locks - I have 125 ranks in locksmithing, and a box dropper nearby that allows me to train those up as well.
3. Forge and preferrably a mine - I like forging and would prefer a place with easy access to a forge.
4. Emapth/social area nearby. I'd like to have a place to get healed up, interact with people, etc. nearby that I can spend my downtime picking boxes.

So - of the two gryphon areas, which one do you guys think is going to be a better match for me? I realize I may not be able to get EVERYTHING I want, but getting close would be great.
Re: Which gryphons to hunt? 07/18/2013 10:10 AM CDT

Shard gryphons sound about right. Gargoyles for boxes/low-end weapons. Forge nearby. I'm not sure about the empaths/social atmosphere of the area though. And while there's a few mining options, I'm not sure how accessible they'll be for you.
Re: Which gryphons to hunt? 07/18/2013 12:06 PM CDT
If you need a tour or would like a warm welcome look me up.

- Starlear, of the Crystal Vanguard of Ilithi -
Re: Which gryphons to hunt? 07/19/2013 02:59 PM CDT
I can't speak to what it would be like in Therengia, but I can tell you a little bit about Shard.

>>1. Backtrain other weapons - I have about 6 weapons at 60 ranks,

Snowbeasts and gargs should work fairly well assuming you have decent stats and mastery skills. Maybe eidolon steeds or thugs even.

>>2. Backtrain locks - I have 125 ranks in locksmithing,

Gargs may work. Or the thugs in Undershard Warrens.

>>3. Forge and preferrably a mine

There is both a forge and a mine. There is a portion of the ice caves that is free from creatures, you just have to have a relatively low level of Athletics to climb in and swim through some areas (maybe 50-100?). There's another mine near Hib that is populated by relatively low level creatures (retch fiends, in the 100-200 range I think). It's just across the ice road.

>>4. Emapth/social area nearby.

Try the West gate or the triage building (one south of the east gate I believe). There is also an autopath and regular events (spars on Tuesdays, plays, visions meetings, and other social events on the events calendar as they arise).

However, be aware that the town is overall less populated than most other places. If you give it a chance, though, the people there are happy to see newcomers.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Which gryphons to hunt? 07/19/2013 04:20 PM CDT
Gargs should work locksmithing nicely in that range. They also tend to drop a fair number of boxes.
Re: Which gryphons to hunt? 07/20/2013 08:49 AM CDT
So gargs are easier than thugs? That's good to hear, because Thugs in crossing are what I'm using currently for locksmithing and weapons backtraining, and while they work my brawling amazingly (at 100) my other weapons are just slightly too low to work effectively there. Plus being closer to hib is helpful for roleplay.

Thanks for the advice!
Re: Which gryphons to hunt? 07/20/2013 10:02 AM CDT
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Category:Bestiary

No snark, just didn't know if you were aware of that page. You can also search for the critter name to find out rough start/stop ranks, and you can use the 'bestiary search' to find critters according to range, skin, loot, etc.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Which gryphons to hunt? 07/23/2013 06:38 AM CDT

Just a heads up and your mileage may vary from my description, but keep this in mind:

The lower ranks of gryphons are grouped into two types:

baby/fledgling
fledgling/young

Whether you go to gryphons in Therengia, or in Shard, they start out with the lower set before you move into the harder set. At around 220 ranks, you'll find yourself not getting beaten to death by the lower ones and at 260, you'll ind the same for the second tier of young(er) gryphons. These guys have a really wide range and if you're really determined you can take your combat skills to 400 with them (by moving up to the fledgling/young ones obviously). I've been told you can go a bit more, but I'd think you'd be bored at that point.

--

In memory of Lisa/Martee. Passed 6/17/2013. A friend. A sister.