Fendryads 01/22/2013 02:01 AM CST
Used to hunt these in my sleep pre 3.0 now I cannot dodge them at all...Not sure if they are overpowered now or if its just me?

A fendryad gestures at you.
You feel a chill as a spell breaches your ward!
A charred thorn lifts off the ground and flies toward you!
Your crimson cage flares.
The charred thorn is partially blocked as it glances off your ordinary shield, softening the impact.
The charred thorn lands a good hit to your right hand!
The charred thorn is destroyed by the impact.
The charred thorn is partially blocked as it glances off your ordinary shield, softening the impact.
The charred thorn lands a good hit to your back!
The charred thorn is destroyed by the impact.
The charred thorn lands a good hit to your right arm!
The charred thorn lands a good hit to your chest!
Re: Fendryads 01/22/2013 02:06 AM CST
I'll give you the same explanation the GMs gave us plat-side.

Many critters have changed difficulty - things that used to teach might not any more, some critters are harder, some are easier.

--
You'll basically have to see what critters you can train with by trial and error. At least until someone edits the whole beastiary in elanthepedia. :-)

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Fendryads 01/22/2013 02:21 AM CST
>Used to hunt these in my sleep pre 3.0 now I cannot dodge them at all...Not sure if they are overpowered now or if its just me?

I've also noticed that in the past spellcasting creatures were really lousy mages in most cases. In 3.0 they cast often and accurately in combination with their mundane attacks. It can make hunting interesting and/or end up a slaughter if you can't counter their spells. Barrier spells coupled with the analagous patterns spell lay ward can help against an aggressor's magic.

Check your stance if you haven't already. You're reset to 60 parry 60 evasion 60 shield. I've heard focusing your stance weight more heavily into 2 defenses can help if you're getting owned.
Re: Fendryads 01/22/2013 03:09 AM CST
Fairly certain every critter with special attacks is now on steroids. Avoid them if you can until the GMs have time for a look.
Re: Fendryads 01/22/2013 12:21 PM CST
>>Fairly certain every critter with special attacks is now on steroids. Avoid them if you can until the GMs have time for a look.

I took my 36 Paladin into Field Goblins to backtrain some Locksmithing after the servers came back up on Saturday and three Shaman in the room all cast multiple fire shards at the same time and dipped him down to 60% health with 30 stamina and Soldier's Prayer up and only like four of the twelve or so shards hitting me.

Someone else posted in the bug forum around the same time and they were immediately tweaked, though.
Re: Fendryads 01/22/2013 12:41 PM CST
I am a bit torn on this.

I really like that warding spells serve a distinct purpose in PvE, I put my Aether Cloak up in Fendryads and they were chewing themselves to pieces. I feel that without powerful creature magic (including ones that buff themselves), the new magic system will suffer some of what the old one does where there are a few clearly best hunting spells and the others are generally meh at best.

Specifically in the Fendryad case, Aether Cloak is by far a better choice than the TM cyclics because it was both protective AND damaging against them.

On the other hand I know that in many cases there simply isn't enough creature variety for location/skill range. And with that limitation not everyone has something as great as Aether Cloak at their disposal, so it can really limit hunting grounds.

As a Warrior Mage, with the tools to counter spells, I really enjoy the powerful creature magic. But I can completely see how it is a major burden to others.
Re: Fendryads 01/22/2013 09:40 PM CST

Cheers man

Appreciate your response.
Re: Fendryads 01/22/2013 09:52 PM CST
If Fendryads are an example of what most critters of similair ilk are going to be like (I am think of Adan'f Mages etc) then I guess people will stop hunting them and just go for the easier creatures.

I was hit by two of them one after another and it dropped me down to 58% health. I had 3 different wards up and a shield at the time.

I understand that creatures are now harder to hunt and I accept that. This is simply feedback to say...perhaps some of them are a little overpowered now.

Zafods player.