Deer are really slowing down on training my weapons, b

Guild: Pally

Strength : 56 + Reflex : 26
Agility : 28 Charisma : 33
Discipline : 22 Wisdom : 24
Intelligence : 23 Stamina : 29 +

Keep HoW, DA, Courage up generally, with some splash HES

Relavent stuff: Over 280 shield, about 240 parry, 195 ish evasion
Weapons: 215 ish THE, 210 HE, 205 Heavy Thrown, 180 ish TM (snap cast bolts as I fight)
Survivals: 200 Skin, Perception

Can I switch to the bottom tier of Gryphons? At best a deer might give me an abrasion once in a blue moon.

After 1.5 hours of hunting today:

Your body feels at full strength.
Your spirit feels full of life.
You have some minor abrasions to the head, some minor abrasions to the neck, some minor abrasions to the right leg, some minor abrasions to the chest, some minor abrasions to the abdomen.
You have no significant injuries.
Re: Gryphons? 11/09/2012 01:40 PM CST
If dear can occassionaly nick you, i'd think gryphons are a bit off yet. You need more reflex, agi, and disc, also multi is very important as they swarm. If you had around 40 reflex and 250ish multi i think you could do baby gryphons.
Re: Gryphons? 11/09/2012 01:56 PM CST
They only nick me when I first start hunting, before I get 'in my groove' with spells and buffs.

After the first minute or so, I never get touched. I could pre buff before walking into the hunting area, I just tend to have my buffs built into my hunting scripts so until it cycles once, not all of them tend to be active is all.

I was reading posts of people with..what seemed significantly less skill than me in there (a few threads down) so I was a bit confused. My MO is about 230. Also I can understand more Reflex, but not understanding why more Disc and Agility, it the main concern is defenses?
Re: Gryphons? 11/09/2012 02:02 PM CST
Also if I'm too young for Gryphons, anything near Lang you might suggest thats a touch above Elder Deer? My preference in general are things I can skin since thats my main plat maker.
Re: Gryphons? 11/10/2012 12:57 AM CST
Dancing Badger I was comfortably able to manage baby gryphons with ranks and stats similar to those. I imagine spell buffs would serve you just as well as dances did me? The fledglings caught me now and then at first, but certainly nothing bad enough to dissuade me from hunting there. Heck, I moved to young/fledglings with 280ish in defenses and 260ish in weapons, though Badger was mandatory and I did not end those hunts unscathed.

~The Prydaen~
Re: Gryphons? 11/10/2012 02:25 AM CST
its not near lang, but you could try the island peccs <not bristle-backs> on m'riss. i went there before heading to gryphs after i was getting bored in elder deer.

An arisen dummy zombie bellows, "You will all be ssslaughtered!"
>
Re: Gryphons? 11/10/2012 10:04 AM CST
You might try Rossman's Pecs too. They should teach you weapons for a long time and you can get up to 4 on you at a time that'll teach you multi very well. I've got like 190 in multi and still get my multi and evasion locked. Plus they should teach you shield for a bit.

Bluefalcon
Re: Gryphons? 11/11/2012 01:05 AM CST
I thought rossman peccs were like, WAY harder. Is that totally wrong? I think the beastiary I looked at had them rated near manor orcs?
Re: Gryphons? 11/11/2012 06:50 AM CST
yes, rossman peccs are just like bristle-backs on m'riss. The ones I suggested are the regular peccs, on the little island by themselves, not the ones near caracals. Rossman peccs would tear you apart if you can't fight gryphs yet.

An arisen dummy zombie bellows, "You will all be ssslaughtered!"
>
Re: Gryphons? 11/11/2012 04:31 PM CST
I just capped my weapons on Deer..and it looks like the peccs in discussion cap weapons at the same level (according to Elantheapedia). Any other suggestions?
Re: Gryphons? 11/11/2012 10:12 PM CST
>I just capped my weapons on Deer..and it looks like the peccs in discussion cap weapons at the same level (according to Elantheapedia). Any other suggestions?

You could make the quick walk and give gryphons a try perhaps?
Re: Gryphons? 11/12/2012 01:04 AM CST
Thanks. Seems to be going great so far.
Re: Gryphons? 11/12/2012 06:42 PM CST
one last suggestion: night barghests.
Re: Gryphons? 11/13/2012 09:42 AM CST
I'll stick with Gryphons:) They seem easy enough. Can dance with a room full of em and after an hour I just have a few abrasions (2-3).
Re: Gryphons? 11/13/2012 10:27 AM CST

Awesome, I hope you have a happy 2013 in gryphons! See you back in this folder in 2014.
Re: Gryphons? 11/16/2012 12:30 PM CST
Do people generally just train all the way up the Gryphon ladder then? I mean..they seem pretty ideal.

Pelts, Gems, Coins seem to be pretty nice change. I like Lang. Is there a big gap in skills between the levels to worry about?
Re: Gryphons? 11/16/2012 12:34 PM CST
Not a big gap at all, they train really well, and most people go from baby/fledgling to the young gryphons before moving on elsewhere. I think it's the oldest ones that have an annoying knockdown special attack that a lot of people don't care to deal with, but gryphons are a great critter for training. If only they dropped boxes too...

Elvis has left the building.
Re: Gryphons? 11/16/2012 12:37 PM CST
Personally, I get bored hunting the same thing for long periods of time and tend to explore different hunting options. Sometimes there is one creature or one location that is so ideal it makes everything else feel hopelessly inferior, and gryphons suffer from this effect for many people.
Re: Gryphons? 11/16/2012 04:12 PM CST

All the orcs in Rosman's can take the Gryphons place, you can skin the warcats, loot the orks (this used to be a path some took). However, the Gryphons are better.

You can do Caracals on Mriss, then Bristlebacks (this was "THE" route back in "THE DAY), Gryhpons seem better...

I think, Genie near crossing are a viable alt., the Adan'f are a viable alt.

The only issue with Rosman's grypons are the limited Rooms, they are a bit harder to hide on the caracals (so some still have to go Caracals), and they are a bit harder to skin than caracals...
Re: Gryphons? 11/16/2012 04:14 PM CST

The Ohsu (steamy things on Aesry) seem to be able to take their place as well, if you use all three levels of them, and the Graverobers on Aesry, they seem to be about ork Raider/Reiver level...
Re: Gryphons? 11/16/2012 07:39 PM CST
My problem with Gryphons is that my multi is a tad low for doing 3 mixed types of gryphons. That plus I'm a leather armor user. I've been in the Rossman's area for a good bit now because the Rossman's peccs have been teaching me well for a long time. Plus the orcs near there drop boxes in my range of picking very well.

Heck I remember when the gryphons weren't available. And yes you can skip the baby gryphons and do the Rossman peccs if you are careful.

Bluefalcon
Re: Gryphons? 11/18/2012 02:53 PM CST

<<<You can do Caracals on Mriss, then Bristlebacks (this was "THE" route back in "THE DAY), Gryhpons seem better...>>

I think it's pecs then caracals
Re: Gryphons? 11/18/2012 02:56 PM CST
regular peccs on pecc island, then caracals, then bristlebacks peccs. Bristlebacks are much, much harder than regular peccs, and definitely harder than caracals as well.

Elvis has left the building.