Training parry in Rossman's 02/17/2014 11:02 PM CST

I've recently moved to Scouts/Warcats and I really, really, really love them for their skinning/boxes but I'm having such a hard time moving parry in there because I have to keep such a high evasion/shield stance for the scout's ranged attacks, so parry trickles along at 1/3 the rate of my other defenses. I'd love to stay in the area because Scouts and Warcats are perfect for me otherwise, but I don't want parry to lag too far behind. Is there anything else in the area that are of similar ranks that I could pop into to lock my parry? I've tried to keep a room full of four Warcats to lock parry but that was a pain in the butt and not worth the effort.

On a semi related note, how much athletics do you need to reliably take the shortcut to Rossman's as a Paladin? I'm sitting at 132 and can't quite swim the river out of the Riverhaven west gate, though people tell me I should be able to around 130 depending on my burden and armor hinderance. I supposed dropping down to train parry elsewhere wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to wait on the Barge or hope that one of those rental boats were docked in Riverhaven(they always seem to be docked in Lang) on the way back.

Shield Usage: 225
Plate Armor: 220
Defending: 205
Parry Ability: 185
Evasion: 182
Large Edged: 181
Crossbow: 147
Heavy Thrown: 176
Melee Mastery: 173
Missile Mastery: 177
Targeted Magic: 162
Re: Training parry in Rossman's 02/17/2014 11:11 PM CST
> I'm having such a hard time moving parry in there because I have to keep such a high evasion/shield stance for the scout's ranged attacks, so parry trickles along at 1/3 the rate of my other defenses.

I don't have any advice for right now, but this will be solved in 3.1. You'll be able to put more points into your parry, and those points will automatically transfer back to shield for ranged attacks.
Re: Training parry in Rossman's 02/18/2014 12:39 PM CST
>> Is there anything else in the area that are of similar ranks that I could pop into to lock my parry?

Elder brocket deer or peccs/trolls in Lang should train your parry decently. It gets better in Rossman's after Scouts, I just toughed it out till I could move past them.

>>On a semi related note, how much athletics do you need to reliably take the shortcut to Rossman's as a Paladin? I'm sitting at 132 and can't quite swim the river out of the Riverhaven west gate, though people tell me I should be able to around 130 depending on my burden and armor hinderance.

If you have high strength and remove your armor you should be able to swim up the Jantspyre. As long as it doesn't kill your burden to take off your armor it is worth a small burden hit to get rid of any hinderance.
Re: Training parry in Rossman's 02/18/2014 02:31 PM CST
>>On a semi related note, how much athletics do you need to reliably take the shortcut to Rossman's as a Paladin? I'm sitting at 132 and can't quite swim the river out of the Riverhaven west gate, though people tell me I should be able to around 130 depending on my burden and armor hinderance.

There are a pretty good number of rangers in Therengia. Ask one of them to cast a strong athleticism spell on you before you try the swim the Jantspyre and it'll give you a healthy buff to athletics. 130 should get you from Rossman's to Riverhaven but I 'think' Riverhaven to Rossman's is more like 150.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Training parry in Rossman's 02/18/2014 07:42 PM CST
Taking off all my armor and casting Ease Burden(putting all my plate and my big old Pavise Shield in my haversack jacked my burden up) and Heroic Strength on myself allowed me to swim to Rossman's after like 15 tries in one of the rooms, so I imagine I should be able to get there under those circumstances pretty reliably by the time I hit 140 ranks.

And I forgot all about Elder Brocket Deer, I'll give those a shot to lock my parry up. Thanks.
Re: Training parry in Rossman's 02/21/2014 02:55 PM CST
Elder Deer are most likely the best way to go. They took me to defenses right under 260 pretty easily, and still work weapons at 250~. When deer become mind numbing, you can always pop down to the Fens and try peccary and swamp troll. Four small peccary will work defenses in to the 250 ranges as well. The swamp trolls drop boxes infrequently, and I'd say they are a tad bit easier than orc scouts. As far as the swimming short cut. I currently have 33 Strength and 158 Athletics, if I take off all worn armor and have no burden, I can make the swim with some difficulty.