Crossing thugs 10/31/2013 09:14 PM CDT
Can the silverfish please be turned off? They don't add anything, and they ruin the area when I get 5+ bugs to 1 human.

No one goes 'gee how awesome is it that I get to kill a billion bugs while hunting thugs/etc. down here!', and it's been a complaint for nearly as long as the area has been open.

Mixed hunting grounds have a place; mixed hunting grounds with massive skill differences are bad design.

If you must keep the bugs, then for heaven's sake, make them comparable to thugs in skill range, and balance the gen so that there aren't 40000 bugs to one human. That'd be nearly perfect for thieves around 40th.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Crossing thugs 11/01/2013 12:44 AM CDT
>If you must keep the bugs, then for heaven's sake, make them comparable to thugs in skill range, and balance the gen so that there aren't 40000 bugs to one human. That'd be nearly perfect for thieves around 40th.

A more hilarious solution would be for thugs and silverfish to start fighting.
Re: Crossing thugs 11/01/2013 09:41 AM CDT
<<A more hilarious solution would be for thugs and silverfish to start fighting.

Only if when the silverfish win, the thug drops a record (or a musical instrument to keep it IC)

But I too would like to see the level of the silverfish increased or something like an alligator/crocodile introduced to eliminate the silverfish population.

Nikpack
Re: Crossing thugs 11/01/2013 02:18 PM CDT
>>A more hilarious solution would be for thugs and silverfish to start fighting.

I think they already sometimes do this, don't they?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Crossing thugs 11/01/2013 09:54 PM CDT
AOE and hiding.. thats how i handle critters with multi-levels... or, use stealth to hide/ambush the one's you care about.. with you constantly in and out of hiding, the bugs should disperse some, if you retreat from them first, so they're not engaged with you...

if you have the ability, sleeping them or otherwise causing them to disengage allows the other critters to take up those attack places around you, making the littler targets unable to engage.

>The shadowling exclaims, "Mana neeto!"
Re: Crossing thugs 11/02/2013 08:17 AM CDT
>AOE and hiding

Not every guild has AoE damage in 3.0, or even in 3.1. And hiding manipulates a symptom, without addressing the actual cause that should just be turned off like hundreds of people have asked for over the years.

Sure, I could engage and destroy the silver fish 1 by 1, but that takes 10-30 seconds each, or longer, even with the 'overpower' mechanic to aid slaughtering stuff grossly below you, and it just results in more silverfish spawning, which means I have to continue killing the pointless thing I'm not there for.

I could micromanage my hunting regime so I only attack 1 critter. But I don't know anyone (including Tev) who really gets excited about having to endlessly flick between critters, constantly move room-room looking, searching, pointing, etc.

>sleeping them or otherwise causing them to disengage

While a nominally good idea, this is even more limited than the AoE option, as I think only Empaths and MM have sleep spells, and it also only addresses the symptoms rather than just turning off the completely pointless and useless spawn.

I get it. It's a great thematic idea, it's the sewer, there are bugs, and look, DR has fightable bugs! Except A) Silverfish eat wood, and sewers are typically constructed of brick or similar stone/metal components due to the high-water and rot components, B) it doesn't WORK in DR, because of how the combat mechanics are set.

And while it's conceptually awesome to throw in some crocs or gators (and I'd love it), frankly the entire problem is solved by flicking OFF the silverfish, which requires little to no testing, aside from 'did my turning these off injure the pure silverfish hunting area no one actually uses or is aware exists elsewhere in the sewers?'

>A more hilarious solution would be for thugs and silverfish to start fighting.
>I think they already sometimes do this, don't they?

No, I have not seen this in prime in the past week.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Crossing thugs 11/02/2013 02:40 PM CDT
given the issues with managing them, i agree with any of the following:
a) silverfish spawn less
b)silverfish don't spawn there
c) thugs kill silverfish too

thugs engaging silverfish also allows the thugs to remain in the room with the player, kill the silverfish engaged to the player, then take their place trying to beat the player to a pulp. (ie, thugs will, over time, replace all silverfish on a player, assuming none of the thugs present die... this provides more thugs to the player, without messing with any spawn mechanics.. and since this, as far as i know, is the only place where thugs and silverfish spawn, it should keep silverfish elsewhere in the world untouched...

only way i see this causing problems is if in order to cause thugs to engage silverfish is to cause them to engage ANY other creature they encounter... which could mess with other hunting areas..

>The shadowling exclaims, "Mana neeto!"
Re: Crossing thugs 11/02/2013 05:23 PM CDT
I highly support this sewer croc idea!

>only way i see this causing problems is if in order to cause thugs to engage silverfish is to cause them to engage ANY other creature they encounter... which could mess with other hunting areas..

Maybe DR has an unusual file structure, but my general assumption would be that each area with Thugs has a unique, though identical, thug creature.
Re: Crossing thugs 11/03/2013 04:19 PM CST
I understand your pain, but doubt anything will happen before you move on to another critter. My suggestion is that you grab a weapon that you have no skill in but kind of like. Use that to kill the silverfish.

Abison/Rystien