Skinnable 04/07/2013 04:47 PM CDT
Anyone recommend a good swarm skinnable critter at the top end of this range? I haven't played with the char in question in forever. Undead a plus, skinning a huge mega plus.

I was trying spotted serpents but they won't move TM above 1/34 at 170 ranks, for me, no matter what I do, so I suspect they fall into the 'defenses set to 0' bug or something.

Don't do boxes at all, so...that's pretty much it. Don't really care about location either.

Pants.
Re: Skinnable 04/07/2013 05:17 PM CDT
A lot of the ranges have been shifted with 3.0 I'm leveling a character up and I'm nearing that range. I'd suggest trying leucros or frostweyr besrs
Re: Skinnable 04/07/2013 07:32 PM CDT
Have you tried arranging your critter? That seems to stretch out the teaching massively.

If you want just to hunt, take a look at Red Leucroes or perhaps the elder Brockett deer. Keep in mind that I've not played with the latter much, so I can't give a first-hand account of them.

Good luck!

Player of...

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Skinnable 04/07/2013 09:15 PM CDT
>>If you want just to hunt, take a look at Red Leucroes or perhaps the elder Brockett deer. Keep in mind that I've not played with the latter much, so I can't give a first-hand account of them.

Elder deer are very very similar to red leucro. I believe they are (or at least were) just a touch harder. I also found deer to spawn a little better that red leucro in Plat.

~The Prydaen~
Re: Skinnable 04/07/2013 09:52 PM CDT
Bears work amazingly, and I do arrange most things 2-4 times.

Downsides to bears: ice road navigation (blech) and hit like a train (need better armor) when they do hit. But they train everything great.

Pants.
Re: Skinnable 04/08/2013 12:06 PM CDT
Did you try quartz gargs in Fang Cove? I think they're fantastic for the 180-220 range.
Re: Skinnable 04/09/2013 01:07 PM CDT

On the undead side you could try the pale grey death spirits under crossing or the ones mixed with weaker things in Dunshade manor Riverhaven. Pale grey death spirits might be a bit on the hard side. Dark spirits near the vine/marauder area just south of theren could possibly work too. Alas neither are skinnable but i thought i'd mention it since you phrased skinning as a bonus.

The top end of snow goblins on aesry could work although their swarminess is a bit iffy at this tier. I suspect you'd be able to learn off the second tier for a little bit yet though. Those are skinnable but not undead. Ghoul crows in the aesry cemetary were awesome at about that rank for defenses. Skinnable and undead/cursed but perhaps a little easy for you - also they are flying critters so melee range weapons can be a bit frustrating with them. Polearm ranged weapons and ranged weapons worked fine for me when I hunted them but I haven't tried them post 3.0.
There are also the skinnable Yvhh La'tami on the cliffs in aesry. Not undead and again their swarminess is iffy. La'tami are in the undergondola as well. There are some pretty harsh athletics checks down there though.

Giant black leucro off the north road probably work if you can pass the perception checks to get in. They can be swarmy. There are also a range of creatures in the gate of souls beneath the fire maiden/young firecat area. The first area in particular has three different critters two of which are skinnable. They are probably a bit too easy in the first area now and a little too hard in the second, its hard to judge, but if you have the tools to deal with the atik'et fire shards you'll probably find the Mottled Westanuryn in the temple about perfect. Its not an easy area to get out of in a hurry either.

Eidolon steeds south of shard are skinnable, nicely numerous and undead but again I think you've either gone past them or soon will. If you can get through corik's wall (needs an extremely difficult climbing check or an emerald knight leading you) the shadoweaver/vine area there is nice but can be rather difficult at that level. Very swarmy, cursed critters but no skinning.

The frostwyr bears up between raven's point and hib were nice at those ranks. Again they aren't undead and their large area means you have to roam about to keep up a good steady kill rate. The mutant togballs up in boar clan might train ok - those are skinnable, swarmy, undead and its a great little atmospheric spot. Vela'tohr Bloodvine a bit further up also pass the swarmy and undead check although again you are towards the top end of their range. The Writhing Maiden's Tress are absolutely amazing at the 200ish point but again their spawn can be a little iffy and there is no skinning again but I think they do class as undead/cursed. Same with the Deadwood Dryad/nyad except that they are less swarmy again and have an annoying webbing attack. The lithe blight ogres in the dark burrows are nice at that rank too. Skinnable but not undead. Unfortunately they force you to chase them down. As an extra plus the foothills here are amazing for training athletics imo. Either way this area was amazing for the upper half of 150 back when i used it before 3.0. I cant tell you how bad their special attacks are anymore but you definitely need a shield for the bloodvines.