Empaths and hunting 06/01/2013 12:58 PM CDT

Ok Empaths can fully attack and hunt constructs, gotcha. Can't attack living creatures without shock, makes sense. Why can't empaths attack undead? I mean I can't see any reason why they would get shock from attacking an undead creature. And this would give empaths a ton more critters they can actively hunt, and fits since they can't manipulate them anyways. Not saying empaths should get any type of undead hunting boosts, just that they should be able to attack with weapons like any constructs.
Re: Empaths and hunting 06/01/2013 01:25 PM CDT
>>Why can't empaths attack undead?

It's a lore reason. The process by which undead are animated traps some "living essence" or life essence in it. This is the same life essence that empaths are attuned to and reacts to shock. So even though they are not alive, they still contain an element of life. Constructs on the other hand, do not contain any life essence and do not cause shock for this reason.

Basically, undead still contain an element of life, which reacts with empathy.

Here's an old GM post which says the same thing I just did http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:Hunting_Undead%3F_-_1/28/2009_-_2:16:06

>>You were pretty much spot on.

>>The animating force of Necromancer-created undead is an intentional misapplication of life energy. The corpse rises because it has a terrible, mutilated little core of life that has been warped such that it can animate what should, by nature and by the gods' design, be still. By the very definition of being undead, it's no longer really dead.

>>What this means to Empathic Shock is outside my purview, but, yes, the undead have enough actual life in them to distinctly separate them from corpses and credenzas.

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.

http://i.imgur.com/fBq8R.jpg
Re: Empaths and hunting 06/01/2013 04:03 PM CDT
>>Basically, undead still contain an element of life, which reacts with empathy.

I really wish they would just retcon this for playability reasons. One of the main reasons I don't play an Empath is the extremely limited/buggy combat they have.

It also makes me sad that their Empathy is a reaction to some magical thing and for that reason does not really mirror real life empathy, which would probably dictate that they would feel even more compelled to put to rest an undead creature.

However, it is what it is! The decision has been made and it's unlikely the GMs will change it at this point.

Also, at one point a very long time ago there was talk of allowing Empaths to "heal" the undead (which would grant Empathy exp and kill the undead). But this was never implemented and I don't think there are any plans for it.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Empaths and hunting 06/01/2013 04:39 PM CDT
>I really wish they would just retcon this for playability reasons. One of the main reasons I don't play an Empath is the extremely limited/buggy combat they have.

Frankly I'd prefer to have the entire empathy concept retconned into something else, I feel like the 'player healing' aspect holds back the game in certain areas, because it's a sacred cow.

Pants.