Marsh bloodworms concerns 05/15/2003 07:52 PM CDT
I feel like it was last summer that bloodworms came to crocodiles on the NTR. Whatever the timing, it has been some time. I figured I would try to hunt the marsh today, and found that the area continues to be too challenging for me. This is particularly frustrating because I started hunting crocs almost 4 years ago, and I still cannot be in the area safely. I am also unhappy that the hunting ground, which I thought was one of the best in the game for younger characters, has been relegated to characters of significant circle who want to backtrain weapons, and further train already notable first aid ranks.

I am a cleric, and I've never really kept pet bleeders, so i only have 93 ranks of FA. I realize there are folks my circle (43) with many more than that, but I still don't think there are many characters of the circles who would want to hunt crocs who have that. I have 24 agility and 80 skinning, and using a knife it took me a number of attempts to remove a non-engorged bloodworm, each incurring a 27-30 second roundtime. Even engorged bloodworms took several attempts, though the roundtime was only once 30 seconds, usually being 10-12 seconds.

The ease with which I was afflicted with the worms continues to seem out of line, in my opinion. In moving through 8 rooms, I got 3 bloodworms. I do not believe I would have survived this with 26 stamina had there not been empaths on the stone road. I would not mind the worms if I could hunt for 20 minutes before I had to leave the swamp to wait for them to become engourged, but I didn't see any crocs before I saw the worms.

I am frustrated that shortly after the area was adjusted to include water and the worms, we heard that the difficulty would be reviewed, but I have not percieved any significant adjustment. I would assume this means GMs are happy with the area, after so much time has passed. I continue to have these stated concerns and would ask is this area is indeed going to stay as it is or are changes planned, or at least possible?

Such suggestions as a simple decrease in the difficulty and frequency of the worms would be one way to solve my worries. Another idea was to segregate the swamp such that there are areas where young (or not so young) hunters can be free of worms, but can hunt and learn the swimming, both of which seem geared to a lower level.

I would love to have an area, close to the "core" areas of Haven and Crossing where young hunters are concentrated, in which characters can train swimming and first aid through the practicioner ranks toward ardent levels in a hunting enviroment. The natural learning that comes of hunting grounds with incorporated survival challenges is, in my mind, vastly superior to pet bleeders, and dedicated swimming training in a repetitious manner. I do not, however, feel that crocs currently works toward this end, as it could.

Thank you for your consideration.

-Gheist
Re: Marsh bloodworms concerns 05/15/2003 08:04 PM CDT
Gheist, I cannot answer your basic question as I'm not a GM. However, I can easily give you a way to work around the problem. Go into the area and don't move around. Walk in, find a good mana room, stand there and fight what comes to you, don't wander looking for crocs. From the postings I've read on the empath boards, the incidence of bloodworms has dropped pretty drastically recently, you should be able to slip in and kill some crocs without attracting too many (if indeed you get any) parasites.

Passionata
Re: Marsh bloodworms concerns 05/15/2003 08:15 PM CDT
I tried this shortly after Damissak increased the gen rate to make this a more workable solution, but found that the rate was still painfully slow. In any case, i recieved a blood worm on my first move after "go reed" in both attempts to use this technique today. :(

-Gheist
Re: Marsh bloodworms concerns 05/16/2003 09:56 AM CDT
That's really strange, Gheist, because I move around in crocs a lot, and have only gotten more than one worm on me once. And with only 70 ranks in FA I can tend them off once they get engorged.

I've highlighted "You feel", so "You feel a bit tired" shows up, which for me is the first sign I have a worm on me. I also keep my limbs free of external wounds using jadice and check HEALTH often, so I know if I see a scuff or abrasion, I have a worm. When either of those happen, I immediately stop. No moving, just sit there, until the worm shows up. Usually a croc or two appear to keep things interesting, but it is, occasionally, like watching paint dry :-)

Once the worm gets engorged, I can usually tend it off in one or two tries. I can try before that, and get the "horribly aggravating" message, though it doesn't seem to really affect the wound all that much. In a few minutes the worm gets engorged and I can tend it off just fine.

To help minimize movement, I set up the number pad keys in eScape to use PEER that direction when the Control key is held down, so I can very quickly scan all directions for sign of a croc. That way I don't do as much utterly random moving around, which also helps keep down the chances for blood suckage

I picked up a number of ranks of swimming and first aid doing this (in addition to the regular combat learning from the crocs). You have to be vigilant, and you do need some stamina. With 22 stamina, though, I've only gotten close to death once, when I had three worms on me because I was trying to drag a deader out.

I wonder if maybe bloodworms love the taste of clerics ... ;-)

~ Nutawa
Re: Marsh bloodworms concerns 05/16/2003 11:14 AM CDT
>That's really strange, Gheist, because I move around in crocs a lot, and have only gotten more than one worm on me once.

After a long break from DR, I came back and went to crocs one day to find the area quite different. Errm, had many more than one on me before I died :(

Tulkas

>You have generously given away 0 awards to other characters.
Re: Marsh bloodworms concerns 05/16/2003 01:30 PM CDT
>>After a long break from DR, I came back and went to crocs one day to find the area quite different. Errm, had many more than one on me before I died :(

I'm talking like four months ago I was there. I don't think anything's changed in that time, but I'll head back up and see what happens.

~ Nutawa

Re: Marsh bloodworms concerns 05/16/2003 01:38 PM CDT
hmm, i think they must prefer human to dwarf. They seem to go after my human paladin much more than my dwarven cleric. you'd think the armor would stop 'em from biting... but it doesnt...

~ The eye is not satisfied with seeing,
Nor the ear filled with hearing.
That which hath been is that
which shall be,
And that which hath been done is that
which shall be done;
And there is nothing new under the sun.
Re: Marsh bloodworms concerns 05/16/2003 01:52 PM CDT
>>you'd think the armor would stop 'em from biting... but it doesnt...

::Has a vision of a half-naked human, covered in marsh water, miserably and frantically undoing the ties to his plate codpiece while the worm is feeding, feeding, feeding ... ::

~ Nutawa
Re: Marsh bloodworms concerns 05/23/2003 10:34 PM CDT
>which I thought was one of the best in the game for younger characters

Devil's Advocate here:
I want to remind you that before the worms infested the marsh, there were a series of critter changes, and currently, crocs are more difficult in terms of defense training that snowbeasts. After I topped out learning evasion in snowies, I was still able to pick up another 15 lessons in crocs before having to head onto vipers...

In a nutshell, they aren't for younger characters any longer...

Kythryn
Re: Marsh bloodworms concerns 05/23/2003 10:41 PM CDT
>They seem to go after my human paladin much more than my dwarven cleric.

We're tossing around the idea over on the empath boards about how a person's stamina might have an affect on the gathering of worms. Although no serious testing has been done to prove it yet, it seems as if the higher a person's stamina gets, the fewer worms they attract.

The empaths have a spell (Gift of Life) that among other things, gives a small stamina boost. Folks have also noticed a decline in worm attraction when that is up.

Of course, we all think it's a BAD thing, getting fewer worms...tee hee...but increasing your stamina may have a hunter-positive result.

Kythryn
Re: Marsh bloodworms concerns 05/23/2003 11:19 PM CDT
I was hesitant to post on this since I haven't been to bloodworms since the introduction of leeches ... there well could have been tweaks to how they spawn and attach, I don't know. However, when I was doing the swamp circuit regularly my best results came from dragging along a rather high circle barbarian with considerable stamina. I made a lot of jokes about parasites being attracted to the smell of a barb but this guy was getting like five times as many worms as I was.

Our swimming skills were nearly identical as was our stamina, the biggest difference I could find was that when we were in the marsh he'd carry my bags. He would have at least some burden and I would be unburdened, I always assumed that was the key. Unless you think Towint put in hunter-specific code to make anyone in a combat guild more susceptible than empaths? Nah, he wouldn't do something like that. ::twitch::

Passionata
Re: Marsh bloodworms concerns 05/30/2003 01:45 AM CDT
<<Unless you think Towint put in hunter-specific code to make anyone in a combat guild more susceptible than empaths? Nah, he wouldn't do something like that.>>

Hmmm... it's always good to hear what I have or haven't done... or would or wouldn't do...

If you would like The Answer...

Red Pill or Blue Pill?

See you at SimuCon... :-)

GameMaster Towint B'niyvyl
Re: Marsh bloodworms concerns 05/31/2003 12:02 AM CDT
>Red Pill or Blue Pill?

Gah, knock it off Towint!
heh...

Kythryn, who can't wait for all the notes back from Simucon...(pouts)
Re: Marsh bloodworms concerns 06/02/2003 02:25 AM CDT
I definately choose the red pill!

See you in the real world.

~Callek, Treasurer of the Order of the Apostles

Care to learn more about the Apostles, interested in joining, or simply want to find a way to contact me?
Visit: http://drapostles.hypermart.net/index.html