Re: 2HE/Containers 03/20/2007 12:47 AM CDT
What are you using for a pack? I know it fits in a standard crossing backpack. I believe it will fit in the scabbard but not the sheath sold at the crossing general store, but its been a long time since I checked, so I could be remembering wrong.
Re: 2HE/Containers 03/20/2007 12:57 AM CDT
The pack my elf started with. A battered leather pack.
Re: 2HE/Containers 03/20/2007 01:06 AM CDT
Ahh. Swap it out for a sturdy backpack ASP - their cheap, easy to get, and much better then the starting character manager packs, if not as good as some of the other packs you can get. I put one on the east room rack in the paladin's guild earlier today - check there if you want a free one.
Re: 2HE/Containers 03/20/2007 01:10 AM CDT
Friend of mine just supplied me with both a backpack and scabbard. Sword does fit in the backpack, but not the scabbard.
Re: Best Parry 2HE? 03/20/2007 10:46 AM CDT
Blech. I thought this was in the Heavy folder, not 2 handed folder, pardon.
Re: 2HE/Containers 03/20/2007 12:32 PM CDT
what you want is either a greatsword sheath or a claymore sheath

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer
--
http://blog.myspace.com/57223313
Re: 2HE/Containers 03/20/2007 05:14 PM CDT
I believe Wolf Clan has a harness a 2HE will fit in.
Re: 2HE roundtime 03/20/2007 10:56 PM CDT
FINALLY!!

>slice
< Moving with incredible power and control, you slice a bastard sword at a blood wolf. A blood wolf fails to evade, mis-stepping and blundering into the blow. The sword lands a massive strike that amputates the left arm and a good deal of the shoulder in a crippling blow.
A blood wolf whines briefly before closing its eyes forever.
[You're incredibly balanced]
[Roundtime 4 sec.]

WOOHOO!

24 agil/str

Ningen banji saiou ga uma
Re: 2HE roundtime 03/21/2007 10:06 AM CDT
Just for the record, the standard 28 stone g/s bastard swords have more balance than suitedness, and as such if you are close to a RT reduction, you're better off training agility over strength to reach it.

__
HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/15/2007 12:55 AM CDT
is this bastard sword worth the 15 dok plats?
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/15/2007 03:00 PM CDT
It is now.

________
"Just an observation, but you do not seem to know what you are talking about, and the things you say seem generally unintelligent."
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/15/2007 03:13 PM CDT
huh?
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/15/2007 04:54 PM CDT
>>It is now.

>Huh?

CAROLINT is referring to the troubles with grinding lately and is entirely wrong. The bastard sword from Steel Claw Clan will not be worth that money if you can find someone selling a forged bastard sword for less money. The forged bastard sword won't be as incredibly better as they were before, but they will not be crap like some of the doomsayers would have you believe.

Fuquois
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/16/2007 08:58 AM CDT
>>The bastard sword from Steel Claw Clan will not be worth that money if you can find someone selling a forged bastard sword for less money. The forged bastard sword won't be as incredibly better as they were before, but they will not be crap like some of the doomsayers would have you believe.

Out of curiosity, what are those forged basties looking like BRFUQUOIS?

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/16/2007 09:41 AM CDT
<<CAROLINT is referring to the troubles with grinding lately

Yes.

<<and is entirely wrong

No.

Bastard Sword from Struan's Weapons:

HE - L/H/F F/F
2HE - L/G/M F/R
47 stones, Mod Strong.

A forged bastard sword (at most reasonably weights) off the anvil will come with Heavy Slice in HE and Great Slice in 2HE. A 28 stone bastard sword that's well made will give you decent stats, a 36 stoner will be a bit more lacking in balance. Now, going back to Silvex's question of whether Struan's bastard sword is worth 15 platinum dokoras vs. the (a) 100 platinum kronars you'll pay for a G/S or H/S bastard sword now or (b) the 20 platinum kronars you'll pay for a l/h/l f/f l/g/l r/f 28 stone bastard sword (if that's still possible), my answer is, "It is now."

________
"Just an observation, but you do not seem to know what you are talking about, and the things you say seem generally unintelligent."
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/16/2007 09:49 AM CDT
in that case... do you think forged bastard swords will be back in place (fixed) anytime soon?
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/16/2007 10:06 AM CDT
<<A forged bastard sword (at most reasonably weights) off the anvil will come with Heavy Slice in HE and Great Slice in 2HE. A 28 stone bastard sword that's well made will give you decent stats, a 36 stoner will be a bit more lacking in balance. Now, going back to Silvex's question of whether Struan's bastard sword is worth 15 platinum dokoras vs. the (a) 100 platinum kronars you'll pay for a G/S or H/S bastard sword now or (b) the 20 platinum kronars you'll pay for a l/h/l f/f l/g/l r/f 28 stone bastard sword (if that's still possible), my answer is, "It is now."

I personally would still go with the new forged bastard sword because it has less weight and isn't a whole lot more money. If you have the strength to wield the 47 stones, then you could probably still get one forged near that weight that would be better than store bought.
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/16/2007 10:18 AM CDT
I doubt it. Most weapons straight off the anvil really don't much resemble what we're used to seeing traders sell. Having said that, though, you can still get a select few decent weapons from forgers even without the grinding... mainly lighter weapons. My point wasn't that Struan's sword is better than all forged bastard swords; my point was that it's better than what anyone can forge at that weight, and it's a good weapon and is worth what it sells for. Previously it wasn't, but it is now.

________
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/16/2007 03:45 PM CDT
162360 doks ~ 22 plat kronars

A lot of people can't handle the heavier bastard swords in the first place.

f/f and f/r off the pound, especially around that weight, looks right to me anyway but is probably on the low end of fair for balance.

Only thing I'm not sure on is how the impact matches up to the SCC bastie.

I am --- Navak
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/16/2007 06:10 PM CDT
aren't they the same bastard sword?
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/17/2007 01:42 PM CDT
>A forged bastard sword (at most reasonably weights) off the anvil will come with Heavy Slice in HE and Great Slice in 2HE. A 28 stone bastard sword that's well made will give you decent stats, a 36 stoner will be a bit more lacking in balance. Now, going back to Silvex's question of whether Struan's bastard sword is worth 15 platinum dokoras vs. the (a) 100 platinum kronars you'll pay for a G/S or H/S bastard sword now or (b) the 20 platinum kronars you'll pay for a l/h/l f/f l/g/l r/f 28 stone bastard sword (if that's still possible), my answer is, "It is now."

Your argument here really has no bearing on mine. You are making up numbers (which may or may not become a reality) to support the claim. What I argued was that, "The bastard sword from Steel Claw Clan will not be worth that money if you can find someone selling a forged bastard sword for less money."

If you can find a similar or slightly-lower quality item for a much better price, then no, the marginal increase in quality will not be worth the increase in price.*

>Previously it wasn't, but it is now.

That is a good clarification that could have been posted in your first post.

>my point was that it's better than what anyone can forge at that weight

Is this truly the case? I'd like to see the comparison of a player made bastard sword at 47 stones after the changes versus the SCC bastard sword. I'd be happy to retract my statements if there is proof to the contrary.

Fuquois

* I suppose people are waiting for me to tack on an "in my opinion" here, because I'm sure some people would think it very worth it to pay extra money for even a slight increase in stats. However, it was beat into me at a young age that it is to be assumed when I am writing something that is it my opinion unless otherwise stated, and therefore redundant to say so.
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/17/2007 01:44 PM CDT
>Out of curiosity, what are those forged basties looking like BRFUQUOIS?

When I get to see some samplings of a 47 stone, player-made bastard sword in comparison to the store-bought version, I'll let you know.

Fuquois
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/17/2007 02:09 PM CDT
Well, that's a little bit more in-depth than saying 'CAROLINT is entirely wrong'... still seems like you're just looking for an argument though. Look somewhere else, please.

________
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/17/2007 02:33 PM CDT
>seems like you're just looking for an argument though

I am looking for an argument, but not in the fashion you're talking about. I'm looking for an argument that will actually prove that the sky has crashed down upon our heads. If someone can show me that forged weapons will be significantly worse than their store-bought counterparts at similar weights, I'd be satisfied. Up until now, it has been a lot of sensationalism about forged weapons are no longer as good as they were before the change.

If you don't have or don't want to post that sort of information, just ignore me.

Fuquois
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/17/2007 05:54 PM CDT
<<My point wasn't that Struan's sword is better than all forged bastard swords; my point was that it's better than what anyone can forge at that weight, and it's a good weapon and is worth what it sells for.>>

Having seen the appraisals posted by Magdar over in the forging folder and compared them to known storebought appraisals *at the same weight*, I am certain that the world is exactly not going to end because forgers can't grind. And storebought stuff *at the same weight, none of this light as a feather crap*, does not even begin to compare.

"Whatever, it's the end of the world. There's actually a Trader guild now. Bards are no longer useless. Empaths can finally stand up for themselves. We're all doomed."
- Vinjince
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/17/2007 07:24 PM CDT
>Having seen the appraisals posted by Magdar over in the forging folder and compared them to known storebought appraisals *at the same weight*, I am certain that the world is exactly not going to end because forgers can't grind. And storebought stuff *at the same weight, none of this light as a feather crap*, does not even begin to compare.

New forged 45 stone bastard sword:

>app my sword careful

A silver-edged sword is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
low puncture damage
heavy slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

A silver-edged sword is a two-handed edged melee-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
great slice damage
moderate impact damage

You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the silver-edged sword is moderately strong, and is in pristine condition.

The silver-edged sword is made with metal.
You wonder if the silver-edged sword might weigh several tens of stones.
You are certain that the silver-edged sword is worth exactly 9020 dokoras.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

Non*-*forged bastard sword:

>app b swo careful

An etched bastard sword with a bone-shaped hilt is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
great slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

An etched bastard sword with a bone-shaped hilt is a two-handed edged melee-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
severe slice damage
moderate impact damage

You are certain that the sword is reasonably balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bastard sword is well constructed, and is in pristine condition.

The bastard sword is made with metal.
You wonder if the bastard sword might weigh several tens of stones.
You are certain that the bastard sword is worth exactly 15334 dokoras.

Comparison:

>compare my b swo with my s sword
You are certain that the bastard sword is about as strong as the silver-edged sword.
You are certain that the bastard sword is about as balanced as the silver-edged sword.
You are certain that the bastard sword is about as suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength as the silver-edged sword.
You are certain that the bastard sword does about as much puncture damage as the silver-edged sword.
You are certain that the bastard sword does a little more slice damage than the silver-edged sword.
You are certain that the bastard sword does about as much impact damage as the silver-edged sword.
You estimate that the bastard sword weighs a little more than the silver-edged sword.
[Roundtime: 8 seconds]

What's this, the non-forged apps better? Tsk.

Most all forged weapons, at the same weight as store bought, come out with store level apps or less, unfortunately. Not every mold mind you, bigger ones like claymores probably do better, but claymores suck.

Dragoonseal
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/17/2007 08:39 PM CDT
Uh, where is that sword sold in a store?

I am --- Navak
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/17/2007 11:01 PM CDT
>What's this, the non-forged apps better? Tsk.

Who said that there are no non-forged weapons that can be better than forged? For a list of a lot of them, please refer to this webpage: http://www.drplat.com/History/Weapon_Breakdown.txt

I am looking for a comparison of a new forged bastard sword (like the 45 stoner that you have in your post) compared to the one sold in the store at Steel Claw Clan.

Recap: I want to see store-bought vs forged.

Fuquois
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/17/2007 11:09 PM CDT
>I am looking for a comparison of a new forged bastard sword (like the 45 stoner that you have in your post) compared to the one sold in the store at Steel Claw Clan.

Have any handy? I can keep the forged one handy if you can find a SCC one to compare to.

Dragoonseal
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/17/2007 11:44 PM CDT
Unfortunately, we're separated by servers. I play Platinum mostly, and the few characters I have in Prime are all in Therenborough.

Fuquois
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/18/2007 08:22 AM CDT
i am in prime and i just recently bought that bastard...

i mean bastard sword...

email me at sylvexdr@gmail.com if u wish to app it...
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/18/2007 10:21 AM CDT
Without seeing a comparison, those two bastard swords look very similar.

<<"The bastard sword from Steel Claw Clan will not be worth that money if you can find someone selling a forged <<bastard sword for less money."

Great statement. I agree that you should spend as little money as you can; that would make sense. However, all I said in regards to whether Struan's sword is worth buying was, "It is now." I'm not sure how that argument is "entirely wrong", and I still haven't seen any facts to show me that it's wrong. As Dragoonseal's shown, it's just about equal to forged right now - so I fail to see how it is not worth buying if Silvex wants one. Sure if he can find someone to make him something equal to it for 10 plat less than he should buy the cheaper sword, but that's just not a relevant argument that you're using which makes it look like all you're trying to do is argue.

On a side note, it will be difficult for many folks to find someone to forge them weapons now, as most of the current forgers aren't actively 'working'. Drevid's stated he's not forging (unless I misread), Mendasity's no longer himself, Soleran's stated he's not forging, Edgee's not able to forge for various reasons, I'm not sure about Magdar (I do know that he charges at least store-bought price for his weapons, as he should). I'm sure once folks adjust to the changes a few will start forging again.

<<Up until now, it has been a lot of sensationalism about forged weapons are no longer as good as they were before <<the change.

I've seen a lot of sensationalism as well. Some of it is not justified, some of it is; you don't think it says something that the people who actually make these weapons and see the before and after appraisals every day are the ones most vocal about how new-forged won't compare with old-forged? Weapons straight off the anvil differ a great deal from the final grinded version most folks see on the tables. The sky has not crashed down upon our heads (Fuquois is the only one who's said this, by the way), I haven't seen any flying monkeys lately, but nevertheless forged weapons aren't as good as they were before. As a result, Struan's Bastard Sword is now worth buying if you are looking for a bastard sword.

<<You are making up numbers

I'm not sure which numbers you are referring to, but log into prime sometime and check the tables - you'll do a double-take but rest assured that, yes, that is a 200+ plat tag on a 36 stone bastard sword. 100 plat on a 28 stone bastard sword? You bet. 80 plat for a broadsword? Believe it. Previous to the changes most bastard swords were selling for around 20 plat so 15 platinum dokoras for Struan's is not ridiculous.

You are just looking to argue, so please validate your statement of me being "...entirely wrong" with some type of data or stop posting just to post. If you do post without including any valid information, please do it in conflicts. I agree that a big deal has been made of these changes, however I don't feel that it's as big a deal as people are making it out to be. People will adjust once they realize how big of a benefit it is to actually be able to use something as lightweight as a 21 stone broadsword, 28 stone bastard sword, 18 stone scimitar/sabre.
________
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/18/2007 11:31 AM CDT
>I'm not sure which numbers you are referring to, but log into prime sometime and check the tables - you'll do a double-take but rest assured that, yes, that is a 200+ plat tag on a 36 stone bastard sword. 100 plat on a 28 stone bastard sword? You bet. 80 plat for a broadsword? Believe it. Previous to the changes most bastard swords were selling for around 20 plat so 15 platinum dokoras for Struan's is not ridiculous.

Just out of curiosity, is the 200 plat 36 stone bastie great slice in HE, severe in 2he?

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/18/2007 11:44 AM CDT
>>Just out of curiosity, is the 200 plat 36 stone bastie great slice in HE, severe in 2he?

Yes.
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/18/2007 01:08 PM CDT
>I'm not sure which numbers you are referring to, but log into prime sometime and check the tables - you'll do a double-take but rest assured that, yes, that is a 200+ plat tag on a 36 stone bastard sword. 100 plat on a 28 stone bastard sword? You bet. 80 plat for a broadsword? Believe it. Previous to the changes most bastard swords were selling for around 20 plat so 15 platinum dokoras for Struan's is not ridiculous.

You've proven to me that the economics of Prime have followed the same old trends. The Traders will sell something for as high a price as they can find a buyer for -- and this is usually quite high (there is a sucker born every minute, after all). You are correct that the store-bought bastard sword is worth the 15 platinum dokoras, and I apologize for my outright dismissal of your assessment. I do, however, stand by my point that it is only worth it if you cannot find something of similar quality for a better price (which I expect will start happening quite soon when some enterprising young forger sees the gap in the market for slightly-better-than-storebought, cheap forged goods).

To shift gears, though, this is the reason I am unconvinced that forging has dipped below store-bought goods in general:
[MILGRYM*'*S]
>app broads careful
A broadsword is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
moderate slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the broadsword is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the broadsword is moderately strong, and is in pristine condition.

The broadsword is made with metal.
The broadsword feels pretty light. (35 stones at MAMAS)
You are certain that the broadsword is worth exactly 287 kronars.
[MINE]
>app my broads careful
A broadsword is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

poor puncture damage
moderate slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the broadsword is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the broadsword is moderately strong, and is in pristine condition.

The broadsword is made with metal.
You are confident that the broadsword might weigh a few tens of stones. (28 stones at MAMAS)
You are certain that the broadsword is worth exactly 460 lirums.
[COMPARISON]
R>comp other broads with broads
You are certain that [my] broadsword is about as strong as [Milgrym's] broadsword.
You are certain that [my] broadsword is a little more balanced than [Milgrym's] broadsword.
You are certain that [my] broadsword is about as suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength as [Milgrym's] broadsword.
You are certain that [my] broadsword does about as much puncture damage as [Milgrym's] broadsword.
You are certain that [my] broadsword does about as much slice damage as [Milgrym's] broadsword.
You are certain that [my] broadsword does about as much impact damage as [Milgrym's] broadsword.
You are confident that [my] broadsword weighs a little less than [Milgrym's] broadsword.

Why is this extraordinary? Because I'm a War Mage. Sure I have 230-ish FF for HE, but that isn't anywhere near what I would need to get a capped pound. It's been explained to me that 'about as much' is even a range within itself, but if I am able to pound out a broadsword that is statistically 'about the same' as a standard Crossing broadsword, except for being seven stones lighter and a touch more balanced, then I am still waiting to see how the goods of these Barbarians with twice my FF are making worse than storebought quality.

Fuquois
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/18/2007 02:11 PM CDT
<<I am still waiting to see how the goods of these Barbarians with twice my FF are making worse than storebought quality.

I must have missed the post of who said that... Do you remember who? Mine are still better then store bought. Not a lot, but still better. Although I have retired from blade forging until its repaired. I only do blunts now.

Drevid
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/18/2007 02:34 PM CDT
<<I am still waiting to see how the goods of these Barbarians with twice my FF are making worse than storebought quality.

>I must have missed the post of who said that... Do you remember who?

I do, in fact.

>Most all forged weapons, at the same weight as store bought, come out with store level apps or less, unfortunately. Not every mold mind you, bigger ones like claymores probably do better, but claymores suck.
- Dragoonseal
(http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=9&topic=18&message=1083)

Fuquois
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/18/2007 02:42 PM CDT
Huh I talked to him in game too. Hes right about the bigger heavier stuff though. They still come out well.

As I said mine come out a little better or equal to store bought. I haven't made anything less yet, but I haven't forged any LEs since. I've only made some MEs and a couple of greatswords. I know you can get mod puncture shorties from a store, but off the forge they come out as fair.

Drevid
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/18/2007 05:48 PM CDT
BRFUQOUIS, your sword had about 5 more balance points, and 3-4 less slice, puncture, impact and power points. So the net result was a LOSS of 4-10 stat points from going down from 35 to 28 stones. Which makes sense. Ligther weapons gain balance, but give up every other stat (except construction) for the tradeoff.

Your sword isn't necessarily better than storebought, at least.. if the stores sold a 28 stone broadsword I think you'd find your sword pretty identical to it. You have proven that forged goods are not worse than storebought. That is definately true. However, I can't tell if there is currently any benefit to having higher FF than 220 for steel mixes. I also doubt that barbarians are getting much, if any bonus currently to forging. Mixes just cap too early on the pound. Kind of like pallies and armor forging. Aside from manipulating an item's weight, I also don't know if there is currently any bonus to using forged blades.

I'll just repeat this for the sake of others as we'd already spoke about it -

Each appraisal category is a range. Even "about as much" is a range. So it is entirely possible to have a sword app the identical, and compare identical, yet be down 24 stat points in quality (puncture, slice, impact, balance, suitedness, construction). That is a huge variance!

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: HE/2HE bastard sword from shard 04/19/2007 10:29 PM CDT
The bastard sword is in Sylverex's hand.

A silver-hilted bastard sword is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
heavy slice damage
fair impact damage

A silver-hilted bastard sword is a two-handed edged melee-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
great slice damage
moderate impact damage

You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bastard sword is moderately strong, and is in pristine condition.

The bastard sword is made with metal.
You guess that the bastard sword might weigh a few tens of stones.
You are certain that the bastard sword is worth exactly 125000 kronars.

The bastard sword is in Sylverex's hand.
You are certain that the bastard sword is about as strong as the silver-edged sword.
You are certain that the bastard sword is about as balanced as the silver-edged sword.
You are certain that the bastard sword is about as suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength as the silver-edged sword.
You are certain that the bastard sword does about as much puncture damage as the silver-edged sword.
You are certain that the bastard sword does about as much slice damage as the silver-edged sword.
You are certain that the bastard sword does about as much impact damage as the silver-edged sword.
You estimate that the bastard sword weighs more than the silver-edged sword.

There ya go, Sylverex's SCC bastard sword vs a new 45 stone bastard sword (by a top forger), both in 2HE mode for the compare.

Discuss.

Dragoonseal