Thrown weapons 09/17/2016 10:53 PM CDT

I have a question.... Why do we have weapons that are designated as thrown weapons?
I have found that every melee weapon I summon can be used as a thrown weapon... Why would I summon a spear to throw when the large blunt hara or a 2 handed maul works much better in my opinion. no lodge unless I hurl them. Do "thrown" weapons train the skill better than a thrown "melee" weapon?
Re: Thrown weapons 09/17/2016 11:01 PM CDT
> I have found that every melee weapon I summon can be used as a thrown weapon... Why would I summon a spear to throw when the large blunt hara or a 2 handed maul works much better in my opinion.

Compare the roundtimes. Weapons intended to be thrown have smaller RT.
Re: Thrown weapons 09/17/2016 11:28 PM CDT

the roundtime is a bit less but eats up the difference in trying to pull it out of the critter once I figure out which one its lodged in...

The stone hara falls to the ground!
[You're nimbly balanced and in dominating position.]
[Roundtime 5 sec.]

The stone javelin lodges itself firmly into the scavenger goblin!
[You're bruised, solidly balanced and in superior position.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]

get jav in second gob
You grab hold of the stone javelin and try to wrench it free...
[Roundtime: 2 sec.]

>get jav in second gob
You grab hold of the stone javelin and try to wrench it free, leaning back with all your might...
>
>get jav in second gob
You pull your stone javelin out of the scavenger goblin.
That must have caused the goblin a sharp pain.
You twist awkwardly, throwing your balance off.

so honestly it takes longer using a "thrown" weapon
Re: Thrown weapons 09/17/2016 11:34 PM CDT
There are solutions to that. You could use lob. You could use a non-lodging thrown weapon.
Re: Thrown weapons 09/18/2016 12:28 AM CDT
"I've made some changes to some of the thrown and ranged weapon code, with the following effects:
All melee weapons can be thrown
* Normal, non-thrown-specific melee weapons take a significant damage decrease due to not being well-suited for throwing. Additionally, the RT cap for throwing such a weapon has increased somewhat.
Blessed ranged weapons will bestow a charge of their blessed status to their ammunition. Double-blessed weapons will use one charge of the first bless.
There was a bug with throwing weapons and encumbrance not getting reduced. This has been fixed.
Lodged items now do more potential damage when wiggling, and lodged thrown weapons grant experience when they wiggle
Additionally, lodging has changed at a fundamental level. If you notice anything doing strange things with lodging (not showing up right, showing up as hanging loosely when it should be lodged deeply, etc) PLEASE let me know. Or anything else weird with this release - Combat code is scary and weird.
This is not live in TF just yet, but it will be in a few days."

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Post:Some_changes_to_thrown/etc_-_5/26/2010_-_00:16:47

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Thrown weapons 09/18/2016 08:17 AM CDT
Thrown weapons do more damage and have shorter RT, so yes they teach significantly better as a result.
Re: Thrown weapons 09/18/2016 08:18 AM CDT
Thank you, this is the information I was seeking.