GUARD Enhancements 08/17/2020 07:27 PM CDT
Heyo. I've got a suggestion for an upgrade to the GUARD command. Basically it's a way to occupy someone's engagement slots so that enemies can't, while inflicting a negative defensive penalty on them (so, a bonus) whose magnitude is determined by Tactics ranks like the multi penalty normally is. Perhaps you GUARD {person} FLANK|REAR to occupy one of the specified slots. This is more practical than the existing form because it doesn't instantly become useless as soon as the one GUARDing is engaged (which is almost always immediately).

Since this is about tactical positioning and working in coordination with someone else, maybe it could be an opportunity to tier it by skillsets. Lore tertiaries and combat pets can occupy one slot, secondaries can do two, and primaries plus Paladins can do three. Maybe Paladins who are LEADing can even do four. Alternatively, additional "slots" could be unlocked at certain ranks in Tactics instead. I'm on the fence as far as whether or not the number should be limited to one per person...so someone with 2 spots available would either be able to cover two spots on one person, or they'd only be able to do one spot on up to two people. Two people could GUARD each other in this way, but don't necessarily have to.

It's probably not terribly original, but it seems like it'd be nice.

Thanks,
-Biomancer Karthor
Re: GUARD Enhancements 08/18/2020 06:36 AM CDT
Non-paladin guard is effectively useless as you point out. I like your suggestion. I like the idea that you could team up with an equal rank buddy and do a "fight back to back" style where each of you is taking up the other's 4th slot and then head off to a higher level hunting ground than you'd normally be able to take on (probably most useful in invasions).

~Hunter Hanryu
>I would like to avoid the collection of broken dreams and sorrow that is the Ranger guild.~Agalea
Re: GUARD Enhancements 08/18/2020 12:48 PM CDT
Neat idea!
Re: GUARD Enhancements 08/18/2020 01:01 PM CDT
I like this idea as well. I would add that there needs to be some sort of no RT consent (or a flag in the AVOIDs) of being guarded though, as I can see in crowded hunting areas griefers coming in and "taking" critter spawn from others if there is no consent required.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: GUARD Enhancements 08/18/2020 02:40 PM CDT
<<I would add that there needs to be some sort of no RT consent (or a flag in the AVOIDs) of being guarded though>>

Oh, yeah I meant to include something like that, but apparently I just forgot to write it, heh. Some sort of way to opt in or out of being guarded definitely makes sense.

Thanks,
-Biomancer Karthor
Re: GUARD Enhancements 08/19/2020 09:39 AM CDT

Great idea!