Synchronize Spawn and Engagement Limit 11/01/2017 11:38 AM CDT
This problem often comes up in the creature folders, but I have a suggestion to approach it from a slightly different direction that seems more appropriate over here. There are several hunting areas that produce fewer creatures per player than the global engagement limit of 4. This is fine in and of itself, but situations often arise where one person in the area ties up more than their share of creatures for extended periods, which makes matters worse for others in the area. I ran into this situation yesterday, when for the second time ever there was someone else hunting telga orek besides me (they're probably only unpopular because they spawn 3 per character, but I found that to be nice when they posed more of a challenge to me).

Anyway, here's my idea. What if the engagement limit could be set on a per-creature basis, so that it could be synchronized with the spawn rate of each area? In our 3-per-character area referenced above, the creatures would have an engagement limit of 3 so that it's impossible for one person to "hog" them. There could still be a default value of 4 (useful for things like invasions, where spawn isn't really related to how many characters are around), but areas that are designed to have fewer creatures could be set accordingly. Usually everyone (understandably) suggests increasing the spawn rate of all areas always, but it seems like there's a desire to have some areas be different, and I can see the value in that. So this is a slightly different take on how the situation could be improved.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Synchronize Spawn and Engagement Limit 12/21/2017 10:43 AM CST

That would be a really cool solution to the problem of player hogging on the creature side of things. I don't know if it'd be a solution to making spawn reasonable though, as if a critter trains, it's probably going to die as fast as any other critter that trains, and accordingly, unless you're only working defenses, the rate new critters spawn is going to have to be tied to the rate you're killing.

I think your idea would be a good start, but ultimately we'll have to see some critter variety to make different spawn rates balanced.