Penalty for fighting when you can't see anything 03/16/2016 07:31 PM CDT
I've always thought it was weird that there isn't a combat penalty for fighting in dark rooms with no light source.
Re: Penalty for fighting when you can't see anything 03/16/2016 11:57 PM CDT

Is there a penalty in fighting if you take eye damage?

"I, for one, think it's nice to have new folks who are excited and already care enough about the game to offer suggestions. We need more of that." -Solomon

Thanks for being in my corner Solomon, come back soon.
Re: Penalty for fighting when you can't see anything 03/17/2016 09:40 AM CDT
>>Is there a penalty in fighting if you take eye damage?

You get a fairly large penalty to Perception, and I think Stealth also.
Re: Penalty for fighting when you can't see anything 03/17/2016 10:48 AM CDT
Light sources are so uncommon and unwieldy. If we're going to interact with darkness more, we really need better mitigation tools.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Penalty for fighting when you can't see anything 03/17/2016 11:17 AM CDT
<<Light sources are so uncommon

They're more common than you think. 7 out of the eleven guilds have either a native darkvision or a native light source ability and 2 guilds can use a sorcerous scroll to achieve it. Only 2 guilds are required to use torches and one of those will be able to use a same type mana scroll to achieve it eventually. That said, please don't make darkness more annoying/widespread than it already is.
Re: Penalty for fighting when you can't see anything 03/17/2016 08:28 PM CDT
I know making the game harder is never well-received. It just strikes me as unrealistic.

Besides, personally, I like it when a new area has conditions that mix up my hunting strategy. Having to juggle/manage gaethzen during combat adds a unique gameplay element to dark areas. It's nice to have a variety of challenges while training, though I can see where some people could find it annoying.
Re: Penalty for fighting when you can't see anything 03/17/2016 08:34 PM CDT
>>Besides, personally, I like it when a new area has conditions that mix up my hunting strategy.

While I can appreciate the feeling behind such, sadly it usually ends with a neat hunting area EXTREMELY underused. While I've hunted many an out of the way or strange place in my time, when I bring alts through the ladder I avoid any unnecessary annoyance. I suspect that feeling is more common then a desire for an extra layer of difficulty.

Samsaren
Re: Penalty for fighting when you can't see anything 03/17/2016 09:12 PM CDT
I really wish that mobs with extra mechanics or unique hunting difficulties provided some incentive to hunt them. Extra loot, more valuable skins, higher box drop rates, better experience or something like that. Right now there's no real reason to do that because why would you make it harder on yourself for no reason?

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Penalty for fighting when you can't see anything 03/17/2016 09:27 PM CDT
>I know making the game harder is never well-received. It just strikes me as unrealistic.

Standard 'reality' response: you're playing a game where humans throw fireballs, anthro-lizard resurrect the dead, werewolves heal people by empathy, and toddlers cast instant teleportation across hundreds, if not thousands, of miles. It's not really great to point out something being less than realistic.

That said...

Many people confuse 'harder' with 'more pointless tedium'. Dark rooms aren't really interesting, from a mechanics point of view. It's a simple binary can you//can't you check, and all you do to bypass it is one of about 400 things. There's a fine line to tread between interesting and difficult and just irritating and pointless command entry.

As Thayet said, if annoying critters offered new, interesting, or more, exp/cash returns, they'd be more used. As-is, they reward exactly the same as less annoying things.