Set/toggle charge into combat 04/07/2015 09:53 PM CDT
I 100% never, ever, ever want the defensive penalty associated with charging from pole. I only ever do this by accident, and when I do, it has a tendency to wreck me the heck up. I do not ever want my characters to do that just from me typing "jab" or "slice". It is not an intended consequence.

Can the ability to charge from pole be added to the toggle command or turn-off-able in some other way?
Re: Set/toggle charge into combat 04/07/2015 10:08 PM CDT
I agree with this 100%. As soon as I charge in a spar, I can kinda just sit back with my hands on my lap because I know what's gonna happen next. If it was toggleable, however, I think it could help with a lot of accidental incidents.
Re: Set/toggle charge into combat 04/07/2015 10:12 PM CDT
Yes, please. In PVE, it's often too confusing to tell which creatures have closed to melee while I am advancing. Charging in and having an enemy that seldom hits me land solid and hard hits is really unpleasant.

In PVP, well.. I just lost two spars in a row because of it. The only time it would ever be useful is to close to melee on an opponent who is already losing. Was it my fault? Absolutely, but I would never consciously make the decision to charge in a fight--I just happened to unintentionally jab while advancing.
Re: Set/toggle charge into combat 04/07/2015 10:23 PM CDT
Do people ever throw a random retreat in PVP and try to force a button mashing charge? Would be a sweet underhanded tactic.

[20:11] Chatter[Arathael] Usually only get skill when it's successful.
[20:13] Chatter[Morpion] Thats why Arathael has 0.00 ranks in Getting Girls
[20:14] Chatter[Arathael] =(
Re: Set/toggle charge into combat 04/07/2015 10:25 PM CDT
I wish that melee attacks wouldn't occur unless you used a charge verb (or some equivalent) instead of engage or advance. Use that charge verb (or equivalent) and you'd attack when you hit pole automatically.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Set/toggle charge into combat 04/07/2015 10:57 PM CDT
Also, if you had that charge ability toggled off, then perhaps you could attack from pole (with a greatsword or other pole-ranged weapon) without charging, without having to type ret/slice in quick succession. That'd be a nice addition. But really I mostly want to just never be able to charge again in my life.

I'll hurl something, I'll aim something, I'll scream, but please, no charging.
Re: Set/toggle charge into combat 04/08/2015 12:09 AM CDT
This.

Utilizing a pole-range weapon and having to charge, by default, defeats the point of having the pole-ranged weapon.
Re: Set/toggle charge into combat 04/19/2015 08:16 PM CDT
I'll put this on my list of things to revisit with the engagement adjustments I have planned. Unfortunately these kinds of changes usually end up taking me a ton of hours to sort through. It always looks so simple until you actually try to wedge some new behavior in there.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Set/toggle charge into combat 04/20/2015 02:16 AM CDT
Thank you for looking into it!
Re: Set/toggle charge into combat 07/09/2015 04:16 PM CDT
/signed
Re: Set/toggle charge into combat 01/12/2016 11:11 AM CST
Any headway on scoping this?