Staff or no staff? 04/21/2015 02:06 PM CDT
I'm wondering, has anyone ever done a side by side of the two weapons in this category (since 3.1 dropped)?

I've always just used a sling since I assumed there was, functionally, 0 difference aside from lower RT. Anyone have any input on which is better/worse? This is for a 'tog, so I'm not sure which would make more sense for him to use anyway.
Re: Staff or no staff? 04/21/2015 02:22 PM CDT
>>I've always just used a sling since I assumed there was, functionally, 0 difference aside from lower RT. Anyone have any input on which is better/worse? This is for a 'tog, so I'm not sure which would make more sense for him to use anyway.

I could have sworn it was possible to parry with staff slings.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Staff or no staff? 04/21/2015 04:44 PM CDT
>>I've always just used a sling since I assumed there was, functionally, 0 difference aside from lower RT. Anyone have any input on which is better/worse? This is for a 'tog, so I'm not sure which would make more sense for him to use anyway.

You can parry with a staff sling - a bigger deal before parry sticks came out.

I've also played around with both and with the increased loading time you Do get better damage. This wasn't tested with one of the old overpowered slings though, so I don't know how it would be in comparison with those.

Mmmmm...pie

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Staff or no staff? 04/21/2015 07:26 PM CDT
>>You can parry with a staff sling - a bigger deal before parry sticks came out.

It's still arguably a big deal since you can't parry while holding any ammo-based missile weapons, right?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Staff or no staff? 04/21/2015 07:36 PM CDT
>It's still arguably a big deal since you can't parry while holding any ammo-based missile weapons, right?

Tested and yep, you'd be correct.

Mmmmm...pie

Don't forget to vote:

Re: Staff or no staff? 04/21/2015 08:22 PM CDT
>It's still arguably a big deal since you can't parry while holding any ammo-based missile weapons, right?

Furthermore, it's definitely beneficial to have the parry option while holding a ranged item but the reason I don't use it more is because the load time is extensive. It has the same load time as a stonebow unfortunately.

Sling 3/2 FOI - 11
Staff sling 5/4 FOI - 13

Maybe there's a reduced RT staff sling out there, if so I'd like to know. I'd prefer to use the staff sling even if it had a 4/3 load time but 5/4 just seems too much when I can use a sling with 3/2.

Mmmmm...pie

Don't forget to vote:

Re: Staff or no staff? 04/21/2015 10:43 PM CDT

Very anecdotal since I don't have numbers to back it up, but I spent a bit of time with both and decided to stick with the staff sling.

Jalika
Re: Staff or no staff? 04/22/2015 12:46 AM CDT
>Very anecdotal since I don't have numbers to back it up, but I spent a bit of time with both and decided to stick with the staff sling.

I have as well and stuck with sling.

The 2/3 load time is what did it for me I think plus the small size and weight.

The 4/5 load time of staff sling is rough, but you have the benefits of hitting harder and being able to parry, minus the larger size of having to store it and the weight of around 6x what a sling weighs.

Stonebow's start with a 5/6 load time but are trainable down to 3/4. If staff sling's RT were trainable down I would definitely love to use it. (Can this be a petition to make staff sling have a trainable reduced load time?!)

Mmmmm...pie

Don't forget to vote:

Re: Staff or no staff? 04/22/2015 06:28 AM CDT
>Stonebow's start with a 5/6 load time but are trainable down to 3/4. If staff sling's RT were trainable down I would definitely love to use it. (Can this be a petition to make staff sling have a trainable reduced load time?!)

Why do you compare a sling or staff sling to a stonebow? Stonebows teach crossbow skill.

I'd like to see staff sling have an RT down-step, mind you. But I don't think it could go below 4, since you get into competition with slings, and the GMs never want weapon/spells to completely over write another set.

Though I guess we could drop sling RT down to 1/2 seconds and staff sling down to 3/4. Given how wimpy sling ammo is compared to arrows (yay firing greatswords from range...) that might not be grossly unbalanced.
Re: Staff or no staff? 04/22/2015 09:12 AM CDT
>>Stonebow's start with a 5/6 load time but are trainable down to 3/4. If staff sling's RT were trainable down I would definitely love to use it. (Can this be a petition to make staff sling have a trainable reduced load time?!)

I wouldn't be against sling getting the same trainable RT reduction as bows and crossbows.

Re: Staff or no staff? 04/22/2015 09:32 AM CDT
>>I wouldn't be against bows and sling getting the same trainable RT reduction as crossbows.

Fixed that for you.
Re: Staff or no staff? 04/22/2015 09:33 AM CDT
I think it's a bit ridiculous to say bow needs a boost to damage over time in the form of a load RT reduction.
Re: Staff or no staff? 04/22/2015 09:34 AM CDT
I was back training weapons and was looking for the best store bought 'sling' weapon (without regard to weight) and I chose this:

A long rowan staff sling with a leather basket lashed to the split haft is a staff sling type weapon.
A long rowan staff sling with a leather basket lashed to the split haft trains the sling skill.

The rowan staff sling is superbly designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the sling is fairly balanced and is decently suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the rowan staff sling is appreciably susceptible to damage, and is in pristine condition.

You are certain that the rowan staff sling weighs exactly 60 stones.
You are certain that the rowan staff sling is worth exactly 1300 Lirums.

I get 3/4 with this weapon. What slings are you guys using that get 4/5? I've never heard of a 4/5 sling.
Re: Staff or no staff? 04/22/2015 09:36 AM CDT
>I get 3/4 with this weapon. What slings are you guys using that get 4/5? I've never heard of a 4/5 sling.

With my generic 'staff sling' which I can only assume comes from Milgryms (I grabbed it off a shelf) I get 5 second loads.
Re: Staff or no staff? 04/22/2015 09:44 AM CDT
>>I think it's a bit ridiculous to say bow needs a boost to damage over time in the form of a load RT reduction.

My point was more that Bows do NOT have a skill/stat based RT reduction, but I don't think a 1 second RT reduction with skill/stats would increase DPS that much with Bows. Rangers can load from the quiver at the same RT as from the hand (-1 second) + they can dual load, and I don't see them ruling the world with Bows. Does it need it? Probably not, but I would like to see the RT reduction across the board for aimable ranged instead of 2 types getting it and Bows being left out, along with all the other penalties it takes.
Re: Staff or no staff? 04/22/2015 10:09 AM CDT
>Does it need it? Probably not, but I would like to see the RT reduction across the board for aimable ranged instead of 2 types getting it and Bows being left out, along with all the other penalties it takes.

The problem is balance. Bow has those restrictions because it does much more damage output than most other methods. Or it did, maybe the damage has been toned down? I kind of stopped caring after the 3.0/3.1 conversion and haven't heard anyone mention it, though people seem to favor spammable thrown weapons now.
Re: Staff or no staff? 04/22/2015 10:26 AM CDT
>>Fixed that for you.

Shows how much I use non-sling missile weapons!

Re: Staff or no staff? 04/22/2015 10:39 AM CDT
>Why do you compare a sling or staff sling to a stonebow? Stonebows teach crossbow skill.

Because comparatively we're talking about the loading of a rock into a device and the round-time associated with it.

>I'd like to see staff sling have an RT down-step, mind you. But I don't think it could go below 4, since you get into competition with slings, and the GMs never want weapon/spells to completely over write another set.

>Though I guess we could drop sling RT down to 1/2 seconds and staff sling down to 3/4. Given how wimpy sling ammo is compared to arrows (yay firing greatswords from range...) that might not be grossly unbalanced.

I agree!

>I get 3/4 with this weapon. What slings are you guys using that get 4/5? I've never heard of a 4/5 sling.

Looks like I'm taking a trip to Theren in the near future.

Every other staff sling I've bought/used. For example:

A gloomwood staff sling with spidersilk whipcords trains the sling skill.

The staff sling is superbly (13/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the sling is fairly (5/17) balanced and is decently (6/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You reach into your quiver to load the staff sling with a senci stone shard.
Roundtime 5 sec.

You load the staff sling with a senci stone shard in your hand.
Roundtime 4 sec.

>Rangers can load from the quiver at the same RT as from the hand (-1 second) + they can dual load

Another suggestion, longshot wish - let halflings and gnomes have this perk with sling!

Mmmmm...pie

Don't forget to vote:

Re: Staff or no staff? 04/22/2015 10:48 AM CDT
>>The problem is balance. Bow has those restrictions because it does much more damage output than most other methods. Or it did, maybe the damage has been toned down? I kind of stopped caring after the 3.0/3.1 conversion and haven't heard anyone mention it, though people seem to favor spammable thrown weapons now.

It was toned down in 3.0 combat. My main is Bow for his main ranged, but is now backtraining Xbow, and I haven't used bow on a single new character since 3.0 save my Ranger, because they are the only ones who actually benefit from that skill. At this point Xbow is as powerful (maybe more with quads), and with Shaping about to be released aimable ranged should be balanced in power from sling up to heavy crossbows. There isn't really a point to continue penalizing Bows even further at this point.

Bows were only god weapons in 2.0 and all the reasons they were have been fixed now. At this point it's better to just use a stonebow with carved sling ammo since you will do the same damage as a bow with the same RT and won't have the constant shield penalty to skill and RT.
Re: Staff or no staff? 04/22/2015 10:49 AM CDT
>I was back training weapons and was looking for the best store bought 'sling' weapon (without regard to weight) and I chose this:
>A long rowan staff sling with a leather basket lashed to the split haft is a staff sling type weapon.

Maybe you get a bonus somehow, but this is not the general case. I just checked:
Slings: 698 11.18% clear (0/34)
Agility is 99

You reach into your quiver to load the rowan staff sling with a senci stone shard.
Roundtime 5 sec.

You pick up a long rowan staff sling with a leather basket lashed to the split haft.

> get my shard

You get some senci stone shards from inside your thigh quiver.
> load

You load the rowan staff sling with a senci stone shard in your hand.
Roundtime 4 sec.

All of the staff slings are 4/5 from there as well. Super disappointing as I got a bit excited about being able to use them.

Mmmmm...pie

Don't forget to vote:

Re: Staff or no staff? 04/22/2015 11:10 AM CDT
Interesting. My RT is based off a Ranger with 100 ranks in sling.

You reach into your quiver to load the rowan staff sling with a quartzite stone shard.
Roundtime 4 sec.
You unload the sling.
Roundtime: 1 seconds.

You load the rowan staff sling with a quartzite stone shard in your hand.
Roundtime 4 sec.

The 4 RT seems to be the standard load time, as far as I can tell.

small slings have lower RT, but do not do as much damage. Since weight isn't a problem for me I decided to go with the 60 stone staff sling with higher damage.
Re: Staff or no staff? 04/22/2015 11:11 AM CDT
>Because comparatively we're talking about the loading of a rock into a device and the round-time associated with it.

Pedantic argument: loading a sling, in DR, encompasses putting the item in the pouch, then whirling the sling around your head like a maniac for at least a couple rounds to reach max velocity, much like loading a bow encompasses putting the arrow to the string and pulling it back. I dropped a video below just for demonstration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSreXRMhrO4

So comparing stonebows and slings really isn't an apples to apples thing, stonebows really do function exactly as a crossbow does, in DR and in real life.

>Another suggestion, longshot wish - let halflings and gnomes have this perk with sling!

I am violently against racial bonuses or penalties like this. DR is a skill based game, it should remain so. I'd honestly yank out the existing brawling/etc. boosts some races get because most of them get nothing. Unless we're going to start giving each race some type of inherent passive bonus to a weapon class.
Re: Staff or no staff? 04/22/2015 11:14 AM CDT
>You reach into your quiver to load the rowan staff sling with a quartzite stone shard.
>Roundtime 4 sec.
>You unload the sling.
>Roundtime: 1 seconds.

Ya. Rangers get a reduced load time when loading from quivers.

It's the same load time as you get when loading from your hand-held ammo.

Try putting a rock in your backpack/not-quiver and loading that.
Re: Staff or no staff? 04/22/2015 11:16 AM CDT
>The 4 RT seems to be the standard load time, as far as I can tell.

Ah interesting. I thought it might be a racial bonus but it looks like you're getting your ranger bonus of -1 RT from loading from a quiver.

Mmmmm...pie

Don't forget to vote:

Re: Staff or no staff? 04/22/2015 11:21 AM CDT

You reach into your backpack to load the rowan staff sling with a quartzite stone shard.
Roundtime 5 sec.

Yep...nothing special about that staff sling.

So there is no RT reduction with increased sling ranks? Bummer.

At least allow slings to do a multi load ability like the multi throwing blades/saucers do.
It would have a damage penalty/aim penalty per additional rock.
Re: Staff or no staff? 04/22/2015 04:00 PM CDT
Engineering crafting - a staff sling with a hollow core that holds rocks for easier reloading and reduced roundtime. Very weak construction.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: Staff or no staff? 04/22/2015 04:19 PM CDT
>Engineering crafting - a staff sling with a hollow core that holds rocks for easier reloading and reduced roundtime. Very weak construction.

Repeater staff sling? I can dig it.