Is Sling Exp Broken? 04/22/2011 01:13 PM CDT
For the last couple of weeks, I've been noticing something interesting. I routinely land heavy, very heavy, and powerful hits against middle tier brocket deer, and yet my sling mind state takes FOREVER to move along. I'm convinced that something is off here. Had I been swinging a broadsword at these ranks and landing these hits, my HE would lock very quickly.

My sling level: 120.
Intelligence: 40

Could a GM take a look at this? I'm convinced that I'm doing sufficient damage to warrant more experience. Also, if any other sling users could chime in, I'd appreciate a broader perspective. Maybe I'm just crazy.

- Araine
Re: Is Sling Exp Broken? 04/22/2011 09:09 PM CDT
do you get the same speed with a sling as you would a bow? Its always been my experience that aimable ranged always take longer to lock if you're actually aiming it.
Re: Is Sling Exp Broken? 04/22/2011 09:16 PM CDT
I'm definitely not aiming. As an example, these are the types of hits that I'm getting with my staff sling:

< Moving as one fluid extension of power, you fire a balanced granite stone at a red brocket deer. A red brocket deer fails to dodge, failing miserably. The stone lands an awesome strike that dislocates the right shoulder with a sickening POP.
The balanced stone falls to the ground!
The brocket deer falls to the ground, letting out an angry bleating sound while kicking at empty air with its hooves. Raising its head one last time as if in defiance, the deer softly exhales its final breath.
[You're solidly balanced]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

It takes at least three times the time that it would take me to lock with my longbow or comp bow. It's very frustrating, as the damage is pretty solid. I'm seriously confused.

- Araine
Re: Is Sling Exp Broken? 04/22/2011 09:44 PM CDT
I don't think its broken, my sling is moving fairly fast. I don't train a stick bow to compare it to though, nor do I generally compare it to a melee weapon. I do know that my sling is filling much faster than my LX, but that is more likely due to the fact that its still under 100 ranks. I try not to compare aimable weapon experience gain to melee simply because I use aimables with full aim when I train.
Re: Is Sling Exp Broken? 04/23/2011 09:20 AM CDT
>I don't think its broken, my sling is moving fairly fast.

Fair enough. Perhaps I'm just wrong in my perceptions on this one.

- Araine
Re: Is Sling Exp Broken? 04/23/2011 10:03 AM CDT
Sling has always been slow to train, it has gotten a little better though with the new carved ammo and the change to experience that allows non-damaging strikes to teach. (this was more important before new ammo)

Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Is Sling Exp Broken? 04/23/2011 10:07 AM CDT
I tend to just train sling with poach, but yes it is very slow for me too.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: Is Sling Exp Broken? 04/23/2011 07:20 PM CDT
Sling is trainable, especially with a tanned sling and stone carved ammo, but it's still much more painful than most other weapons. The only weapons I dislike more are HX and Staff Sling.

NMUs are not people. -GM Armifer
Re: Is Sling Exp Broken? 04/23/2011 07:27 PM CDT
> The only weapons I dislike more are HX and Staff Sling.

PREACH! I can't wait to get these to 150 so I can pack them back in my vault, hopefully forever with the weapon type combination coming.

- Araine