Parrying 06/11/2010 03:00 PM CDT
So is parrying with a staff sling really supposed to teach HB? That's not helpful at all.

Artificer Nilassa
Re: Parrying 06/12/2010 01:59 AM CDT
>So is parrying with a staff sling really supposed to teach HB? That's not helpful at all.

Yes, and yes. It's a pain because if you want the parry perk to be useful, you have to train up an additional weapon. But... staff sling, what do you expect?

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Parrying 06/12/2010 02:50 AM CDT
>> So is parrying with a staff sling really supposed to teach HB? That's not helpful at all.

>> Yes, and yes. It's a pain because if you want the parry perk to be useful, you have to train up an additional weapon. But... staff sling, what do you expect?

This is already technically fixed. I just can't release it until the rest of Combat 3.0 is done, or just about everything will break. Well, in different ways than they are already broken. And probably more spectacular ways.

Because I know folks will ask, the fix includes:

(1) Parrying with staff sling will teach staff sling

(2) The impact of weapon skill in your ability to parry is being drastically reduced. It'll still make a difference, but right now the impact of weapon skill is so large that it seriously devalues the parry skill itself.

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams
Re: Parrying 06/12/2010 08:48 AM CDT
>>Because I know folks will ask, the fix includes:

What people will ask is will sling become an actual weapon?
Re: Parrying 06/12/2010 08:53 AM CDT
<<I just can't release it until the rest of Combat 3.0 is done>>

Any ETA on either Combat or Magic 3.0?

I'm hoping for soon and not "Soon"

Any chance we could get a brief overview of what we should expect with the rewrites? Not looking for a detailed treatise of all the changes, an outline would work well for me.

Is the actual mechanics of combat changing or are we still going to be seeing the same combat mechanics we currently have, just updated?

So far we have:

Parry will teach the appropriate weapon skill for a given weapon

Weapon skill importance in the Parry calculations is being drastically reduced

Any other tidbits?

Inquiring minds want to know!

~Tieriana~
Re: Parrying 06/12/2010 09:23 AM CDT
Check the GM Anouncments in the Combat folder. Dart's made a few posts about some of the changes.

To lazy to track down the Magic 3.0 posts, so here's a link to something on E-pedia that has atleast some of the posts.
http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Magic30

Short answer, pretty much everything we know about either system will be useless after the rewrite.
Re: Parrying 06/12/2010 09:50 AM CDT
That sounds like it'll fix the problem. Cool.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.