What's the best sling out there? 05/09/2010 05:33 PM CDT
So, getting up to close to 200 ranks in staff sling and sling. Absolutely awful weapons. Are the best slings/staff sling out there from the last fest or can someone tan superior slings? I'm using a f/f sling and staff sling.
Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/09/2010 06:23 PM CDT
As far as i know, all shop and festival slings appraise equal.

Tanned slings are better. I believe someone posted on this forum a few months ago about being able to tan a r/r sling.

Staff sling can't be made by players. You're stuck with the one you have.
Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/10/2010 11:03 AM CDT
Agreed. Tanned sling is the way to go. There are 3 different templates you might want to try out: normal, balanced, and powerful. As for staff sling, they're all identical from what I can tell.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/10/2010 11:07 AM CDT
I was under the impression that while you might get a little better performance from a tanned sling, better ammo is the way to go. True or false?
Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/10/2010 11:19 AM CDT
>I was under the impression that while you might get a little better performance from a tanned sling, better ammo is the way to go. True or false?

Well, you can definitely experiment with different ammo too. I'm sure there's a difference, but it just isn't that significant from what I can tell. I know this doesn't mesh with other ranged weapon experiences, but I think it's a matter of numbers.

With basilisk arrows, you're getting significantly more damage (double or more) across all 3 types of damage categories. With pulzones and quadrellos you're getting more damage overall, although it is relatively less significant than in the case of bow ammo. However, the "best" sling ammo does just slightly more impact damage. Depending on what you fight, that might not even be ideal, as other ammo will do some puncture damage as well.

People have speculated on hidden stats as well, and I can't rule that out. But my testing didn't really show a significant difference in damage.

If you do any amount of testing, however, you quickly reach the conclusion that sling and staff sling weapons are a waste of time. They're only somewhat bearable with the bad exp model we have right now and guild hax (eagle dance, khri). There's a reason no one has ever trained this weapon much past 300.

>describe boar
Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/10/2010 11:45 AM CDT
Slight derail, perhaps...

<<However, the "best" sling ammo does just slightly more impact damage.

What are folks using for ammo? I've tried a few things and have settled on tiny stone fists from the shamans. It sure would be cool to use other stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgBtxlAtAXk
Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/10/2010 12:06 PM CDT
Blackend lumps from the holy fest.
Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/10/2010 12:22 PM CDT
>Blackened lumps from the holy fest.

These, or the 5 other things there that had identical apps. I can't remember what the others were.

>describe boar
Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/10/2010 12:57 PM CDT
Is there someone in prime that could cobble together a r/r sling for me? Also, anyone know what it takes to make one of these as far as skills?
Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/10/2010 01:49 PM CDT
>Is there someone in prime that could cobble together a r/r sling for me? Also, anyone know what it takes to make one of these as far as skills?

With 260 sling and a ton of mech and leather, mine still come out f/f with the normal template. I get r/f with the balanced and f/r with the powerful template. Not sure what skill it takes for r/r, but I believe it is over 300.

>describe boar
Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/10/2010 02:34 PM CDT
>Is there someone in prime that could cobble together a r/r sling for me? Also, anyone know what it takes to make one of these as far as skills?

>>With 260 sling and a ton of mech and leather, mine still come out f/f with the normal template. I get r/f with the balanced and f/r with the powerful template. Not sure what skill it takes for r/r, but I believe it is over 300.

There is no r/r to my knowledge, only r/f or f/r.

I have evidence to believe staff sling plays a role in making regular sling because someone with 300 slings and very low staff sling couldn't hit the reasonable balance on the balanced pattern.

I also have seen evidence that says slings may??? still have room to grow although not reflected in the appraisal:

gob sling made with balanced pattern with ranks somewhere between 300-320:
You are certain that the sling is reasonably balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

Sling made with balanced pattern with ranks around 380
You are certain that the sling is reasonably balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

They compare exactly the same

Sling made with powerful pattern with ranks around 380
You are certain that the sling is fairly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

Comparing balanced sling made from 300-320 ranks to powerful sling
You are certain that the goblin-skin sling is somewhat more balanced than the blue-scale sling.
You are certain that the goblin-skin sling is less suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength than the blue-scale sling.
You are certain that the goblin-skin sling weighs about the same as the blue-scale sling.
[Roundtime: 8 seconds]

You are certain that the blue-scale sling is more balanced than the blue-scale sling.
You are certain that the blue-scale sling is somewhat less suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength than the blue-scale sling.
You are certain that the blue-scale sling weighs about the same as the blue-scale sling.

OR this, same tests but compared to a nisha SB instead of the power sling

>get my bow
You get a Nisha short bow from inside your cylindrical haversack.
>compare my sling to my bow
You are certain that the goblin-skin sling is about as balanced as the Nisha short bow.
You are certain that the goblin-skin sling is a little more suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength than the Nisha short bow.
You are certain that the goblin-skin sling weighs less than the Nisha short bow.
>drop my sling
You drop a goblin-skin sling.
>get second sling
You get a blue-scale sling from inside your traveler's pack.
>compare my sling to my bow
You are certain that the blue-scale sling is a little more balanced than the Nisha short bow.
You are certain that the blue-scale sling is a little more suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength than the Nisha short bow.
You are certain that the blue-scale sling weighs less than the Nisha short bow.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/10/2010 02:37 PM CDT
Oh wow, just noticed

Comparing balanced sling made from 300-320 ranks to powerful sling
You are certain that the goblin-skin sling is somewhat more balanced than the blue-scale sling.
You are certain that the goblin-skin sling is less suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength than the blue-scale sling.
You are certain that the goblin-skin sling weighs about the same as the blue-scale sling.

You are certain that the blue-scale sling is more balanced than the blue-scale sling.
You are certain that the blue-scale sling is somewhat less suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength than the blue-scale sling.
You are certain that the blue-scale sling weighs about the same as the blue-scale sling.

So from 300-380 ranks it got better in both categories.

Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/10/2010 04:26 PM CDT
Well, for what it's worth, I have equal ranks in staff sling. The growth of sling with skill is pretty pitiful compared to bow fletching.

>describe boar
Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/10/2010 05:54 PM CDT
Yeah pretty much. I can snap shoot things and land great damage with 80 ranks less of short bow and on the same creatures a snap of sling would be around a good hit

Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/11/2010 05:59 PM CDT
can't you parry with staff slings now?

I know all about Paladins, trust me. All they do is boss you around and tell you what to do.
"Don't walk on the grass, don't litter, don't rape the cycle of life with your unclean Power" blah blah blah.
-Tsukiko OOTS
Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/11/2010 06:16 PM CDT
>can't you parry with staff slings now?

Yes. But if you don't train light blunt you won't have any success. No, that doesn't make sense, but then nothing sling related does. Also, staff slings are too weak for this to be a useful ability. Again, it's the rule of slings... it must only be good in theory.

>describe boar
Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/11/2010 08:35 PM CDT
>>But if you don't train light blunt you won't have any success.

explain this part...I must of missed this along the way?

Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/11/2010 08:40 PM CDT
Wonder what's more useful for a sling, balance or power...
Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/11/2010 09:37 PM CDT
>>But if you don't train light blunt you won't have any success.

>explain this part...I must of missed this along the way?

Parrying with a staff sling teaches light blunt. Or maybe it's large blunt, I can't remember. So I'm betting that it uses the same skill for success calcs too. I'm not really sure because I foolishly trained all the weapons. Bottom line is, sling needs help.

>describe boar
Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/12/2010 07:51 AM CDT
<<Bottom line is, sling needs help.

And not the kind of help that lx/hx got. It needs an exp uptweak, in addition to better ammo.

Or if its going to continue to be "that grind skill", it should be removed from the requirements for the weaponmaster titles, because thats the only reason most ppl train it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgBtxlAtAXk
Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/12/2010 08:27 AM CDT
>>Or if its going to continue to be "that grind skill", it should be removed from the requirements for the weaponmaster titles, because thats the only reason most ppl train it.

I train it for science.....although I've sold over 40 now and I don't even market them.

Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/12/2010 10:53 AM CDT
Do you have a trader that sells your slings?
Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/12/2010 06:02 PM CDT
No, a trader bought one once off of me to put on their tables and I haven't heard if it sold or not so I am thinking it either didn't or it took awhile. It's very niche market as sling is more of a novelty when compare to other ranged weapons, so the people I have sold to sought me out.

Selling over 40 is a bit misleading I suppose though, one person bought 20 once and one other bought 10. If your around Haven area you can gweth for me if you want one. I sell them for 5 plat lirums if you want one that I have made already, but I will probably be raising thee price soon.

Codiax.

Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/12/2010 10:09 PM CDT
>No, a trader bought one once off of me to put on their tables and I haven't heard if it sold or not so I am thinking it either didn't or it took awhile.

Was it Aralini?

~ Purehand

>collect coin
You manage to collect a pile of coin.
Roundtime: 30 sec.

... Jackpot.
Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/13/2010 12:03 AM CDT
>You manage to collect a pile of coin.
>Roundtime: 30 sec.

Next goal: 15 second RT. And finding a sucker to buy the coins.

>describe boar
Re: What's the best sling out there? 05/13/2010 07:16 PM CDT
>>Was it Aralini?

No, don't know who that is.