Tanned slings 02/11/2005 12:31 PM CST
Actually, while I'm at it, does a tanned sling make much of a difference as well? And if so, is there anyone I could get to make one for me?

Sadeia
Tanned slings 11/09/2008 03:16 AM CST
What should I look for in a tanned sling? Does skin type matter, etc.? Does anybody in prime make better than average tanned slings? And more importantly, what do they sell for and how much will it cost me?

Thanks.

P.S. if you have one to sell, e-mail my play.net addy or IM me at zzNJPzz.

"Now won't you tell me if you like what you've just heard?
And if you think the point I'm driving at absurd,
Well there's no need to tell me how or tell me why,
But I need to know the reason not to try."
- John Popper, Onslaught
Re: Tanned slings 11/09/2008 12:15 PM CST
NJP,
I don't have any good answers, and this isn't really a direct response to your post, but here's my unscientific anecdotal understanding of tanned slings, that hopefully will get corrected by the real players with real info, like Hanryu Nye the Science Guy, McKougen McLovin', Boy Fallen JMF90(?), or Reene Reene the Post Machine to irreverently point to a few of the many I respectfully watch for good info:

-- As far as I can tell, the type of skin has little or no impact on the final product.

-- Improved damage or hit frequency increase, if any, had been hard for me to notice at all when comparing a store sling to a tanned sling, or even between slings tanned with various skill levels.

-- Tanned slings give you a slightly better construction I think, so they last longer when you are standing in gargoyles and snowbeasts week after week, so numb from loading rock after rock that you forget to retreat and end up parrying with the sling once to often (this would pre-date the Teaching change).

-- I asked Pathlone to tan me a sling once, but I don't know his exact stats and sling skill at the time, nor do I know what his mech lore skill was for sure, but to me at the time it seemed like it was somewhere between "high" and "Oh. My. God. Did you start your character with the prehistoric paper and pencil version of Dragonrealms in 1979???". I could not tell the difference (in usage) between that sling and a store bought one. I haven't been able to tell any difference between the slings I made at 30-40 sling ranks/75 mech, and 130 sling ranks/170 mech either.

-- At least you can get some nice looking slings with tanning... troll skin, golden-jackal pelt, etc. That's about the only motivation I've ever found for tanning a sling. I mean besides just being able to make one anywhere when my store-bought breaks (see parrying with sling above).

-- The new festival ammo is giving me better sling results than I've seen in a long time. But better is relative I guess. Kind of like slamming your finger in the door is better than running your hand through a table-saw. Every post on slings must have an obligatory jab at how crappy they are to use in actual hunting.

-- The new festival slings don't seem any better than others either, other than nice nice looks.

~Brian/Bahb
Re: Tanned slings 11/09/2008 01:43 PM CST
Boy fallen, that's a new one.

I'm using a sling tanned by someone with 300 slings, from the balanced sling template. I figured with my agility, that was the way to go. I think tanned slings can get a lot better, once someone gets the ranks.

A crocodile-skin sling is a sling type weapon.

You are certain that the sling is reasonably balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the crocodile-skin sling is extremely weak, and is in pristine condition.

The crocodile-skin sling is incredibly pliant.
It appears that the crocodile-skin sling can be worn attached to a belt.
You are certain that the crocodile-skin sling weighs exactly 10 stones.
You are certain that the crocodile-skin sling is worth exactly 925 lirums.

I didn't get to compare it to the normal sling template or the powerful? sling template, as I had to beg just to get this one done. Although I have enough skill now that I could experiment a bit (262 slings now).

Also, I agree with pretty much everything Brian/Bahb said.

-Copernicus of TF
Re: Tanned slings 11/09/2008 01:45 PM CST
Thanks very much!

That pretty well jibes with what I seemed to be recalling on the subject. If anybody else has anything to add, feel free to chime in on it though.

"Now won't you tell me if you like what you've just heard?
And if you think the point I'm driving at absurd,
Well there's no need to tell me how or tell me why,
But I need to know the reason not to try."
- John Popper, Onslaught
Re: Tanned slings 11/10/2008 02:09 AM CST
I appreciate the shoutout, but...

>McKougen McLovin'

. . . . . . Wat?

~ Sage Kougen Aensworth, Magus of the Compact

Ruea says in Ilithic, "At least you're very handsome. That makes the fact that you're always right far easier to live with"
Re: Tanned slings 11/10/2008 06:13 AM CST
> Although I have enough skill now that I could experiment a bit

Please do!

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
"But I say if you're going going to eat a creature alive, you have to expect some screaming. That is the carnivore's burden."
23/14/0 - 14 days
Re: Tanned slings 11/10/2008 07:42 AM CST
I had someone make me a balanced pattern one. The felow that made it had I belive 10 ranks in sling. It came out more ballanced thanthe store bought. So someone with significant amount of sling ranks ought to make a pretty good sling.
Re: Tanned slings 11/10/2008 12:10 PM CST
<<McKougen McLovin'

<<. . . . . . Wat?

Kougen,
;)
It has no meaning really. I was stumped on a nickname for you, other than the word for a German/Scandanavian pastry that I could not remember how to spell, so I just stream-of-conciousnessed it.

~Brian/Bahb
Re: Tanned slings 11/10/2008 12:13 PM CST
>>someone with significant amount of sling ranks

Good luck finding them!

GENT
Re: Tanned slings 11/11/2008 05:01 AM CST
>I was stumped on a nickname for you, other than the word for a German/Scandanavian pastry that I could not remember how to spell,

I get that from Lennede a lot, too.

Kougen's name was inspired by the Japanese word for light source, though.

Unfortunately I don't know much about slings, other than that I picked up some ammo at the fest just in case I have a brain malfunction in the future and decide I need to start training slings by hand for some odd reason.

~ Sage Kougen Aensworth, Magus of the Compact

Ruea says in Ilithic, "At least you're very handsome. That makes the fact that you're always right far easier to live with"
Tanned slings 04/12/2011 08:57 PM CDT
is there any difference in tanned slings? I'm curious if they're worth taking the time to cure the skins for?
Re: Tanned slings 04/12/2011 09:05 PM CDT
Some time ago, a player tested tanned slings and found that they were marginally better than most store-bought ones. However, slings have a lot of problems, not least of which is that they aren't- or couldn't be- repaired. This might be changing in the near future, though, so take this with a grain of salt.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Tanned slings 04/12/2011 09:18 PM CDT
They're definately better.

>app my sling
A frog-skin sling is a sling type weapon.

You are certain that the sling is reasonably balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the frog-skin sling is appreciably susceptible to damage, and is in pristine condition.

The frog-skin sling is incredibly pliant.
It appears that the frog-skin sling can be worn attached to a belt.
You are certain that the frog-skin sling weighs exactly 10 stones.
You are certain that the frog-skin sling is worth exactly 721 dokoras.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

This sling is a few notches into reasonably balanced as well, as I have one that I made when I first started hitting reasonably balanced and it compares a little better to that one.

Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Tanned slings 04/12/2011 09:46 PM CDT
Awesome. Do you know what kind of skins yield what kind results? I'd like to get one or two made, but I don't seem to know the right people.
Re: Tanned slings 04/12/2011 10:06 PM CDT
No answer on skin type, but also note there are three patterns available at the Boar clan shop. Powerful, balanced, and something else I can't recall off the top of my head. Only novice ranks in sling, as a caveat, but I did some quick tests and kept the 'balanced sling pattern' and tossed the others. I also had a vague recollection of JMF90 vouching for the balanced pattern, as well, and that was good enough for me.
Re: Tanned slings 04/12/2011 11:14 PM CDT
I have a Shadow Beast sling that appraises the same as that frog skin. I don't recall anyone actually finding a difference between skins, but that may have just been from limited testing.

>>Powerful, balanced, and something else I can't recall off the top of my head
sling pattern
powerful sling pattern
balanced sling pattern

Tachid smugly exclaims, "Die midget!"
Re: Tanned slings 04/12/2011 11:27 PM CDT
Interesting. I guess I just need to find someone to make one. I checked Crimsondae's tables, she doesn't have one up at the moment. Any of you I could perhaps convince to take an order? I've been asking all the traders I run into, it doesn't seem like there are many people who make em.
Re: Tanned slings 04/13/2011 06:24 AM CDT
Pretty sure the skin type doesn't matter, I think I tried about 10 different types and they all came out the same.

Crimsondae may have one for sale but you would have to ask her when she is IG. I gave her one awhile ago but i forget if it sold or not. I know she doesn't commonly put it out on the table since they are such a niche item.

Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons