Armworn shields vs large handheld for survival prime 07/10/2015 12:27 PM CDT

Heyo,

Has anyone done any testing to see if a large shield held in hand is better then an arm-worm for survival prime?

I'm thinking a max density vardite tower shield vs a diamond-hide shield. Plus enough ranks in shield to cap out the vardite tower shield. I guess the question is, does the increase in protection make up for the hindrance?

Thanks!
Re: Armworn shields vs large handheld for survival prime 07/10/2015 03:22 PM CDT
>>Brycole83: I'm thinking a max density vardite tower shield vs a diamond-hide shield. Plus enough ranks in shield to cap out the vardite tower shield. I guess the question is, does the increase in protection make up for the hindrance?

Are you primarily hunting at melee range? If so, even high-level Paladins who have compared the triple-reinforced vardite pavise shield and the small diamond-hide shield have reported better results with the small shield at melee.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Armworn shields vs large handheld for survival prime 07/10/2015 03:29 PM CDT
>> Are you primarily hunting at melee range? If so, even high-level Paladins who have compared the triple-reinforced vardite pavise shield and the small diamond-hide shield have reported better results with the small shield at melee.

So even survival tertiary find small shields better? That's odd. It's only a 4% difference from large to small in melee. Diamond-hide is 10 protection and pavise is like 23/26? Seems a bit crazy. Can't paladins train shield hindrance super low?
Re: Armworn shields vs large handheld for survival prime 07/10/2015 06:41 PM CDT
>>Brycole83: So even survival tertiary find small shields better? That's odd. It's only a 4% difference from large to small in melee. Diamond-hide is 10 protection and pavise is like 23/26? Seems a bit crazy. Can't paladins train shield hindrance super low?

We've questioned before whether it was intended that 96% of a vardite pavise shield (8/23 protection) doesn't perform as well as 100% of a small diamond-hide shield (2/13 protection). While Kodius did confirm that "small shields are better at melee, and large shields are better at missile," he did not address that specific question.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Combat%20-%20Weapons%20and%20Armor/General%20Discussions/view/5305

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Armworn shields vs large handheld for survival prime 07/11/2015 06:07 PM CDT
>We've questioned before whether it was intended that 96% of a vardite pavise shield (8/23 protection) doesn't perform as well as 100% of a small diamond-hide shield (2/13 protection). While Kodius did confirm that "small shields are better at melee, and large shields are better at missile," he did not address that specific question.<

This. It seems that in practice the added protections are overshadowed by the added hindrance and weight. Seems crazy to me but that's the outcome a few of us have noticed.

--Just a Squire

Riveted to the metal is a small copper plaque depicting a shield crossed with a longsword overlaying a field of thirteen stars. Encircling the design are the words, "Many Faces - One God."
Re: Armworn shields vs large handheld for survival prime 07/13/2015 12:18 PM CDT
>> We've questioned before whether it was intended that 96% of a vardite pavise shield (8/23 protection) doesn't perform as well as 100% of a small diamond-hide shield (2/13 protection). While Kodius did confirm that "small shields are better at melee, and large shields are better at missile," he did not address that specific question.

>> http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Combat%20-%20Weapons%20and%20Armor/General%20Discussions/view/5305

>> This. It seems that in practice the added protections are overshadowed by the added hindrance and weight. Seems crazy to me but that's the outcome a few of us have noticed.

Ugg. That's a bit irritating. I like having different options. Hopefully that will be addressed at some point.

At the very least, I think I can left hand hold my small-shield and that could give me a significant boost to my shield blocking.