Bison hide ordinary shield 03/26/2015 12:05 PM CDT
I just finished off a bison hide ordinary shield, but my results don't match elanthepida and I can't find anything that explains why. Any ideas?

I was expecting the results off this https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Shield:Ordinary_shield_(leather)
(6 hinderance/5 worn basic protection/10 worn full protection/10 very heavy impact/6 decently balanced/ 4 inadequately suited)

Got this instead (armworn/sealed/reinforced):

You are certain that it imposes minor (4/15) maneuvering hindrance.

This shield is small in size.

Your experience with shields allows a better appraisal of the protection capabilities.

You are certain that the shield offers dismal (3/26) to fair (8/26) protection.

You are certain that it could do:
no (0/26) puncture damage
no (0/26) slice damage
somewhat heavy (8/26) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
no (0/26) electric damage

You are certain that the shield is decently (6/17) balanced and is poorly (3/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the ordinary shield is unusually resilient to damage (16/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

You are certain that the leather in the ordinary shield has a quality of 99, placing it at 'perfect' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the leather in the ordinary shield has a durability of 90, placing it at 'excellent durability' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the leather in the ordinary shield has a workability of 35, placing it at 'difficult to work with' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the leather in the ordinary shield has an electrical resistance of 40, placing it at 'a very good conductor of electricity' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the leather in the ordinary shield has a thermal resistance of 40, placing it at 'very good at transfering heat and cold' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the leather in the ordinary shield has a physical resistance of 75, placing it at 'very good at repelling physical blows' on the official Trader's Scale.
The ordinary shield came from skins that were large in size.
It appears that the ordinary shield can be worn on the left arm.
You are certain that the ordinary shield weighs about 60 stones.
You are certain that the ordinary shield is worth exactly 7940 Kronars.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

A shadowy black death spirit says, "Give us the annoying one, and the rest of you shall live."
* Mudge was just struck down!
The cackling continues. "The Darkness is pleased with your sacrifice."
Re: Bison hide ordinary shield 03/26/2015 12:32 PM CDT
>my shield vs. elanthipedia notes

Is yours master-crafted? Not having masterfully-made items will result in a point or two drop in some areas of the finished product. This can cause the difference in protection that you are noticing. Also, part of what you might be seeing is that the shields on the pedia have no enhancements applied to them. It could also be likely that the person who recorded those numbers didn't get them exactly right. It is a user submitted site of information after all.

Beyond those facts, I'm not really sure. Did you use society bought shield handle and cord?

>whisper card geva
Geva is unlikely to appreciate your gift.
Re: Bison hide ordinary shield 03/26/2015 12:47 PM CDT
Yep, it's materfully crafted. I did use the society handle and cord, but I fail to see how that would make that much of a difference. It was just an expectations vs. reality check, as the last posts I could find had someone comfirm the bison shield (but didn't say what template), but that was three years ago.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Combat%20-%20Weapons%20and%20Armor/Shields/view/1234

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Combat%20-%20Weapons%20and%20Armor/Shields/view/1239

A shadowy black death spirit says, "Give us the annoying one, and the rest of you shall live."
Re: Bison hide ordinary shield 03/26/2015 12:59 PM CDT
Is Bison hide a density of 6 per yard?

If so, the bison hide shield on epedia's list seems off, since it's only 48 stones. Maybe it was lightened? IIRC, that's a 20% weight reduction.

edit: strike that, it looks like the epedia ordinary shield listing page is off, because it says that ordinary shields are 10 volume, but the tailoring products page only says 8. That explains that part.

THAT SAID, doesn't reinforcing it drive up the weight? If the shield is listed as 48 stones, and 6 density * 8 volume = 48 stone, then that shield didn't get reinforced. It's possible those crafts don't have the bonus bells and whistles added. I know for the weaponsmithing product pages most items listed are just tempered unless told otherwise.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Bison hide ordinary shield 03/26/2015 12:59 PM CDT
The appraisal changes when shields are arm worn, and yours appears to be set up ti be just that. Adjust it to be not armworn and see if it matches up?

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: Bison hide ordinary shield 03/26/2015 01:04 PM CDT
If you tailored that when Yavash was at its peak but the sly brown ox had gotten into the chicken coop then you would probably get a downgrade to perception which would not enable you to see past the solar glare that was produced by the succession of the tides due the Katamba's draw on the gravitational axis aligned with Damian's Head.

Or someone put the info in wrong a while back.

[20:11] Chatter[Arathael] Usually only get skill when it's successful.
[20:13] Chatter[Morpion] Thats why Arathael has 0.00 ranks in Getting Girls
[20:14] Chatter[Arathael] =(
Re: Bison hide ordinary shield 03/26/2015 01:24 PM CDT
>>Tev

I reinforced my shield yes, that drove it up to 60. It was 48 before that happened. Going through epedia and that spreadsheet that was put together, they are listed straight up, neither reinforced or sealed.

>>The appraisal changes when shields are arm worn, and yours appears to be set up ti be just that. Adjust it to be not armworn and see if it matches up?

I was comparing specifically the armworn stats on the shield I produced vs. the armworn stats of the same shield listed on epedia (which is based of the extensive work of a player making every template with every leather). For the sake of science held protection is 3/10 produced vs 5/12 listed on epedia

Really I'm just wondering if anyone else noticed a difference in the ordinary shield pattern. I was excited to get a 5/10 protecting armworn shield and got a 3/8 protecting armworn shield instead. I'm still working get enough skill and the tech to make leather targes. I get that epedia may be wrong.

Re: Bison hide ordinary shield 03/26/2015 02:03 PM CDT
>I get that epedia may be wrong.

And this may be the source of any confusion. Such is the life of user submitted information, it is prone to user error as well.

>whisper card geva
Geva is unlikely to appreciate your gift.