Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 06/15/2014 06:29 PM CDT
Back in December Kodius responded to a thread about removing the 50 rank requirement to load a bow with an arm worn shield, considering the 3.0 offensive penalty to retreating in combat with:

>>The 50 rank requirement has been removed.

I just started up a new baby Barbarian and while I can fire a crossbow that is already loaded while wearing an arm worn shield, you still cannot (in Prime) load a ranged weapon while wearing an arm worn shield. Was the change reverted or never implemented or did I misunderstand what he meant by that because I'm an idiot?
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 06/15/2014 07:05 PM CDT
Odd, I am having no trouble doing it. Can you copy/paste the message you get? Only small shields can be arm-worn and still load bows with by the way. Paladins can do medium, and nobody can do large.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 06/15/2014 09:10 PM CDT
I believe the issue is: Cardinale is trying to load a CROSSbow, while the change refers to BOW weapons.

As in, long/short/composite bows can be loaded without removing the shield, since it turns the shield off. But CROSSbows, which use shield as a defense, do require a 50 rank feat.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 06/15/2014 09:24 PM CDT
>>you still cannot (in Prime) load a ranged weapon while wearing an arm worn shield

Hmm, well what he said was a bit confusing :P

I did not see anything specific in the code related to crossbow loading, but I'll have to take another look to be sure.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 06/15/2014 09:57 PM CDT
>>you still cannot (in Prime) load a ranged weapon while wearing an arm worn shield

>get uku
You get a notched ironwood uku'uanstaho with a leather wrapped stock from inside your backpack.
>load uku
You reach into your belt to load the ironwood uku'uanstaho with a crossbow bolt.
Roundtime 9 sec.
>rem shield
You slide a triple-reinforced vardite pavise shield off your left arm, gripping it in one hand.

Not sure but I think you can load a crossbow

M@c ~]X!j % %AN_rrWB5z4%p rBa =jZb*h[mp,0;pv` knIM%aJ|
WARNING: You are carrying an extremely large number of items on your person.
Having a very high number of items can cause character corruption or
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 06/15/2014 11:49 PM CDT
Sorry I didn't respond. Was napping before work. I'm at work now so I can't the message, but it gives the same old message it always gave prior to the change. It's with a crossing bought ordinary(I'm pretty sure it's small. Can't double check right now) shield on a Barbarian and it was with both my riot crossbow(if it is already loaded you can push a round in and fire perfectly fine with the shield) and an ebon short bow.
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 06/15/2014 11:52 PM CDT
Also, sorry if I wasn't clear, but this is on a brand new Barbarian and in reference to the sub 50 ranks change from six months back. My higher circle Barbarian can load just fine wearing his skirmisher shield and my Paladin can load just fine wearing his pavise on their arms.
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 06/16/2014 06:46 AM CDT
Ordinary shields are medium size, not small, I believe.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 06/16/2014 06:48 AM CDT
<<Ordinary shields are medium size, not small, I believe.

According to elanthipedia, the Crossing shop ordinary shields are small. I don't know if that applies to other versions, or if it correct information or if he actually has that specific version.
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 06/16/2014 07:01 AM CDT
Barbarians can do it with medium shields anyway. Paladins can do large and Barbarians medium. My higher circle Barbarian does it with his medium skirmisher shield. I'm 99.99999999% certain that the ordinary shield I bought my noob from the Crossing armory was a small shield when I appraised it, anyway, but I'm stuck at work and the Web front end doesn't want to work on my phone so I can't double check.

when I get home in a few hours I'll post up all the pertinent info, but I'm pretty sure something broke the fix at some point. Both my higher circle Barbarian and my Paladin load crossbows and bows with their shields(medium and large, respectively, and I'm cheap so my noob Barbarian is actually using my higher circle barbarians bow and crossbow so it's even the same weapons with a smaller shield) equipped on their arms, and the only difference is they have 100 something more ranks of Shield, but that requirement was supposed to have been removed.
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 06/16/2014 09:45 AM CDT
Shield is a store bought Crossing ordinary shield. Don't have any other small shields lying around to try with. Bow is an old, old, old, old carved bow from right around the switch to play.net. I tried with a regular short bow, longbow, composite bow, heavy crossbow and light crossbow from the Crossing shop and none of them load while wearing a small shield on my new Barbarian. I tried a sling and staff sling as well and they both work. But I've never really used slings so I don't know if they always worked prior to the change in December or not.

(It may also be worth noting that someone posted the same problem back in March that got no response, so I don't know if it was fixed and broke again or if it was just never fixed)

> app my shield quick
You estimate that it imposes light (3/15) maneuvering hindrance.

This shield is small in size.

You are confident that the ordinary shield is appreciably susceptible to damage (7/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

It appears that the ordinary shield can be worn on the left arm.
The ordinary shield has a bit of weight to it.
You are unable to determine the value of the ordinary shield.
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
R>
The guard searches the area with a wary eye.
R> wield my bow

You draw out your short bow from the backpack, gripping it firmly in your right hand and balancing with your left.
> load
You cannot manage to load your short bow while wearing an ordinary shield on your arm.
>
> sheath bow

You sheathe the short bow in your backpack.
> rem cross

You sling a compact ironwood riot crossbow with a yew lath off from over your shoulder.
> load
You cannot manage to load your riot crossbow while wearing an ordinary shield on your arm.
>
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 06/16/2014 04:40 PM CDT
Here are two more data points:

1) Shield Usage: 30 15.76%

You get a juniper savannah bow with a cascade of russet hawk feathers and jet beads dangling from the grip from inside your traveler's backpack.
>load
You cannot manage to load your savannah bow while wearing an ordinary gargoyle-hide shield with fitted seams on your arm.

The bow is from the horse clan, the shield is a crafted shield

2: Shield Usage: 40

You sling an ironwood crossbow with steel fittings off from over your shoulder.
>load
You cannot manage to load your ironwood crossbow while wearing a gargoyle-hide targe on your arm.

The crossbow is store bought (festival I think) and the shield is crafted once again
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 06/16/2014 05:44 PM CDT
Agility requirement maybe?
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 06/16/2014 05:52 PM CDT
It was always a flat 50 ranks of Shield requirement and about 6 months back it was supposed to have been removed to make ranged learning on new characters less painful with the retreat changes in 3.0.
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 06/16/2014 08:15 PM CDT
Was this in Prime? I am just not able to duplicate it..

You load the heavy crossbow with a crossbow bolt in your hand.
Roundtime (11) skipped.
G>
You tap an ordinary shield that you are wearing.
G>

Strength : 10 Reflex : 15
Agility : 10 Charisma : 12
Discipline : 15 Wisdom : 15
Intelligence : 15 Stamina : 20

Crossbow: 7 56% clear (0/34)

Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 06/16/2014 08:18 PM CDT
Yes, in prime. What's your shield rank? The shield rank was the limiting factor prior to the change, not the weapon ranks.

Would it be helpful if I logged in and showed you? I don't know what kind of behind the scenes magic you can see.
Best largest most protective 06/16/2014 09:53 PM CDT
What's the best largest most protective craft able shield in the game right now? Bonus points if you can also point me where to find one for sale. Thanks in advance.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Best largest most protective 06/16/2014 10:00 PM CDT
It'd be a weighted vardite tower shield, but the pavise from one of the quests is better protection by alot.
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 06/16/2014 10:05 PM CDT
I am seeing the same thing in prime. As I understood it the req was for 50 in Shield and weapon skill had nothing to do with it. My baby Thief is having the same problem with a bow. Everything used is store bought items.

> get bow

You get a Nisha short bow from inside your shoulder tote.
> loa
You cannot manage to load your Nisha short bow while wearing an ordinary shield on your arm.

Shield Usage: 30 67.76% clear (0/34)
Bows: 31 01.51% clear (0/34)

Strength : 18 Reflex : 16
Agility : 12 Charisma : 11
Discipline : 15 Wisdom : 8
Intelligence : 8 Stamina : 18

> app shield
You are confident that it imposes minor (4/15) maneuvering hindrance.

This shield is small in size.

You wonder if the ordinary shield is quite fragile and easily damaged (3/18), and contains several unsightly notches (40-49%)<--(will do this even when at 100%)
Re: Best largest most protective 06/16/2014 10:14 PM CDT
<It'd be a weighted vardite tower shield, but the pavise from one of the quests is better protection by alot.

Wouldn't a tower shield, being classified as a large shield, have a penalty when defending against melee attacks? My understanding is that this was a (fairly) recent change and I'm not entirely sure how it works. To my limited understanding, you'll want to choose a shield size based on which types of attacks you're expecting to be defending against. Small shields are best against melee, large shields against ranged, and medium shields have no bonus/penalty.

Would an extremely heavy and large tower shield provide enough protection to make it better at defending in melee than the "best" (biggest and heaviest?) small shield? I have no idea. I'd appreciate it if someone more knowledge than me could clear this up?
Re: Best largest most protective 06/16/2014 10:20 PM CDT
>>Ederick: It'd be a weighted vardite tower shield, but the pavise from one of the quests is better protection by alot.

Does anyone have the stats on the crafted version? I've only seen the quest version (a triple-reinforced vardite pavise shield).

You are certain that it imposes extreme (12/15) maneuvering hindrance.

This shield is large in size.

Your experience with shields allows a better appraisal of the protection capabilities.

You are certain that the shield offers fair (8/26) to incredible (23/26) protection.

You are certain that it could do:
no (0/26) puncture damage
no (0/26) slice damage
very severe (14/26) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
no (0/26) electric damage

You are certain that the shield is fairly (5/17) balanced and is reasonably (7/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the pavise shield is extremely resistant to damage (15/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

The pavise shield is made with metal.
It appears that the pavise shield can be worn on the left arm.
You are certain that the pavise shield weighs exactly 520 stones.
You are certain that the pavise shield is worth exactly 90200 Dokoras.

For comparison, here is a reinforced and tempered damite tower shield forged by Heartsfyre:

You are certain that it imposes extreme (12/15) maneuvering hindrance.

This shield is large in size.

Your experience with shields allows a better appraisal of the protection capabilities.

You are certain that the shield offers better than fair (9/26) to impressive (20/26) protection.

You are certain that it could do:
no (0/26) puncture damage
no (0/26) slice damage
very severe (14/26) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
no (0/26) electric damage

You are certain that the shield is decently (6/17) balanced and is reasonably (7/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the tower shield is extremely resistant to damage (15/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

The tower shield is made with metal.
You are certain that the metal in the tower shield has a quality of 92, placing it at 'somewhat pure' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the tower shield has a hardness of 80, placing it at 'quite hard' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the tower shield has a durability of 70, placing it at 'good durability' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the tower shield has a workability of 10, placing it at 'very difficult to work with' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the tower shield has an electrical resistance of 90, placing it at 'not a conductor of electricity' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the tower shield has a thermal resistance of 40, placing it at 'very good at transferring heat and cold' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the metal in the tower shield has a physical resistance of 95, placing it at 'incredibly good at repelling physical blows' on the official Trader's Scale.
It appears that the tower shield can be worn on the left arm.
You are certain that the tower shield weighs exactly 334 stones.
You are certain that the tower shield is worth exactly 1579751 Kronars.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Best largest most protective 06/16/2014 10:34 PM CDT
<<Would an extremely heavy and large tower shield provide enough protection to make it better at defending in melee than the "best" (biggest and heaviest?) small shield? I have no idea. I'd appreciate it if someone more knowledge than me could clear this up?>>

No. If you run the numbers based on protections and the bonuses, a damite small shield protects better at melee than a damite tower. Not only that, but a damite tower is more hindering and heavier so you need more skill to use it as effectively.

The only large shield I have had access to that beats the ceremonial shield at melee is the vardite pavise. But even this is questionable, because while the numbers are higher, the hinderance and weight are so high that using the shield effectively is much more difficult. I know Rekon swears that the damite ceremonial blocks more at melee than the vardite pavise, but I am still skeptical.

Maybe we will do some more concrete tests this week.

--Just a Squire
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 06/17/2014 12:43 AM CDT
>>>> I am seeing the same thing in prime. As I understood it the req was for 50 in Shield and weapon skill had nothing to do with it. My baby Thief is having the same problem with a bow.

I recently trained a lowby past 50 shield ranks and all of a sudden he could load with a worn shield again.
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 06/17/2014 05:22 AM CDT
Just did the same with a lowbie myself, crossbow + held shield sub-50 ranks worked fine. Once I hit 50 shield I could load both a crossbow, and a stick bow, with an arm worn shield.

Samsaren
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 07/01/2014 03:34 AM CDT
There was actually a post in that thread from back in December about people having issues, that the fix didn't go through as expected.
The heading was "Sub 50 ranks of shield and ranged weapons", Astarin2 on Dec 9th started with the issues.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Combat%20-%20Weapons%20and%20Armor/Shields/thread/1603804?get_newest=true
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 07/01/2014 04:04 PM CDT
Still an issue, can load with sling but not bows or crossbows as of a couple days ago.
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 07/02/2014 08:38 AM CDT
>>Still an issue, can load with sling but not bows or crossbows as of a couple days ago.

Yeah. Still doesn't work. For some reason Kodius can't duplicate it so it probably won't get fixed any time soon. It's not the end of the world, but it was supposed to be a huge quality of life change for new characters and as far as I can tell the fix never went through in the first place like seven months ago when he first posted he removed the requirement.
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 07/02/2014 08:41 AM CDT
>Yeah. Still doesn't work. For some reason Kodius can't duplicate it so it probably won't get fixed any time soon.

Doesn't make sense since multiple people experience this, unless he's not testing this in Prime and instead, some dev instance he already rolled the fix into.

Yep, it's a quality of life change, it doesn't take long to get the 50 shield you need, but it's still not working as intended.
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 07/02/2014 10:00 AM CDT
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I just noticed with newbs that I can load an arbalest with small shield in hand before 50 ranks, but if I wear the small shield on the arm, I can't load.
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 07/03/2014 08:40 PM CDT
Can you please re-test? I may have nailed it.

Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 07/04/2014 09:02 AM CDT
I've been playing a ton of new characters lately so you have no idea how excited I was to test this as soon as I got home.

>exp shield

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate fraction
Shield Usage: 28 98.43% clear (0/34)

Time Development Points: 87 Favors: 8 Deaths: 0 Departs: 0
Overall state of mind: clear
EXP HELP for more information

You sling a light crossbow off from over your shoulder.
> load

You reach into your backpack to load the light crossbow with a crossbow bolt.
Roundtime 10 sec.
R>
> wear cross

You sling a light crossbow over your shoulder.
> rem bow

You sling a short bow off from over your shoulder.
> load

Your targe makes the task more difficult.
You reach into your backpack to load the short bow with an arrow.
Roundtime 4 sec.
R>

I <3 you.

ALTHOUGH!

I'm not sure how the arm worn shield hindrance is supposed to work, but you get the "Your (shield) makes this task more difficult" message when loading and firing a bow(assuming you aren't a Barbarian or a Ranger with HoL or whatever spell using a small shield and a Paladin using a medium shield), but you only get it when firing a crossbow. I'm not sure if the crossbow is supposed to be getting the extra one second RT when loading with a shield and it isn't happening, or if it's not supposed to be getting the offensive hindrance added when firing and it is, or if it IS supposed to only get the hindrance upon firing(which seems weird to me).

You reach into your backpack to load the light crossbow with a crossbow bolt.
Roundtime 10 sec.

(No hindrance message when loading)

Your attempt is slightly hindered by your targe.
< Moving like a striking snake, you fire a crossbow bolt at a ship's rat. A ship's rat fails to dodge, leaning wrong and blundering into the blow.
The bolt lands an apocalyptic strike (22/22) (So that's what it felt like when Grazhir shattered!) that punctures deeply into the right bicep, severing a small artery.

The crossbow bolt lodges itself firmly into the ship's rat!
The ship's rat falls to the ground and lies still.
[You're solidly balanced]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

(Hindrance message when firing)

vs the bow that gets the message on both tasks:

Your targe makes the task more difficult.
You reach into your backpack to load the short bow with an arrow.
Roundtime 4 sec.

Your attempt is slightly hindered by your targe.
< Moving like a striking snake, you fire an arrow at a ship's rat. A ship's rat attempts to dodge, only slightly avoiding the blow.
The arrow lands a powerful strike (10/22) to the rat's left arm.

The arrow lodges itself shallowly into the ship's rat!
[You're solidly balanced with opponent in good position.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 07/04/2014 12:31 PM CDT
I didn't think crossbow was supposed to get shield penalty, or two-hand penalty. That was kind of the only thing going for crossbow DPS-wise given the load variation.
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 07/04/2014 02:33 PM CDT
>>I didn't think crossbow was supposed to get shield penalty, or two-hand penalty. That was kind of the only thing going for crossbow DPS-wise given the load variation.

I probably should have tried this earlier, but you don't get the penalty while holding a shield. I'm not sure if it's intentional or not.

> fire

< With the speed and temerity of a swooping falcon, you fire a crossbow bolt at a ship's rat. A ship's rat fails to evade, taking the full blow.
The bolt lands an overwhelming strike (18/22) (Oooh, the next generation of rats are going to feel that!) that pricks the rat's back (Get your needle work out!), lightly stunning it.

The crossbow bolt lodges itself shallowly into the ship's rat!
[You're solidly balanced and in strong position.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

R>
> inv

>
You are holding a gargoyle-hide targe with a reinforced design in your left hand and a light crossbow in your right hand.
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 07/04/2014 07:38 PM CDT
>>That was kind of the only thing going for crossbow DPS-wise given the load variation

Not really....

Light, Heavy and Arbalest crossbows get between a 1.4x and 1.9x damage multiplier depending on their load time.

Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 07/04/2014 11:12 PM CDT
1.9x damage amplifier, but even on Traim, with all the RT reductions, my arbalest takes 12 seconds to load. That's something like 4x the RT of HT lob without even counting aim time. I guess I should check and see if the repeater damage amplication works the same, that might work a lot better for me.
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 07/04/2014 11:15 PM CDT
But! I know crossbow making isn't out yet, and there has to be room for improvement. Given the marked improvement available in other forged weapons, I'm very optimistic. Thanks for fixing the shield-load thing, Kodius.
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 09/14/2014 08:58 AM CDT
>> Can you please re-test? I may have nailed it.

Is it possible to also make this in fix (loading bows with no rank requirement) into TF?

My circle 1 thief would love you for it.
Re: Arm worn shields and ranged weapons. 09/14/2014 01:00 PM CDT
I didn't realize this had ever been changed. I've recently trained up several TF characters and I had to get to 50 ranks with each one.