Grey Raven riot shield question 06/01/2014 10:13 AM CDT
I was looking through the elanthipedia list of items available in the Grey Raven Commissary and I noticed that the riot shield appraises differently in person. Can someone explain the difference, did they get downgraded or something? The decrease in the full defence seems like a big jump down. The scrip cost is still accurate, 2500 scrip.

The website appraisal shows:
Large Shield
Hindrance: high (9)
Protection: fair (8/26) to impressive (20/26) protection
Damage: no (0/26) puncture damage
no (0/26) slice damage
very great (12/26) impact damage
Balance: inadequately (4/17)
Suitedness: reasonably (7/17)
Construction: nearly impervious (17/17)

And appraising it in the Commisary shows:
Large Shield
Hindrance: high (9)
Protection: rather low (6/26) to high (14/26) protection
Damage: no (0/26) puncture damage
no (0/26) slice damage
very great (12/26) impact damage
Balance: inadequately (4/17)
Suitedness: reasonably (7/17)
Construction: nearly impervious (17/17)

>profile Ianhanse

Quote: "Saying EVERYTHING 'loudly' or 'darkly' (etc.) does not make you a roleplayer. It makes you annoying."
Re: Grey Raven riot shield question 06/01/2014 10:56 AM CDT
Is it possible one was adjusted for arm-worn and one was not? I'm not aware of any changes to shield templates in years.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Grey Raven riot shield question 06/01/2014 11:02 AM CDT
Checked the one I have and it appears to appraise the same either way. It's large so I wouldn't have been able to wear it on the left arm anyway as a Bard.

You move a massive steel riot shield painted with a black raven on a dull grey background to your left hand.

>app my shield
You are certain that it imposes high maneuvering hindrance.

This shield is large in size.

You are certain that the shield offers rather low to high protection.

You are certain that it could do:
no puncture damage
no slice damage
very great impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

You are certain that the shield is inadequately balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the riot shield is nearly impervious to damage, and is in pristine condition.

The riot shield is made with metal.
The riot shield is somewhat pliable.
It appears that the riot shield can be slung over one shoulder.
You are certain that the riot shield weighs exactly 130 stones.
You are certain that the riot shield is worth exactly 3125 Kronars.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

>adjust my shield
You adjust the straps of your shield, tightening them so that it will fit securely upon your left arm.

>app my shield

You are certain that it imposes high maneuvering hindrance.

This shield is large in size.

You are certain that the shield offers rather low to high protection.

You are certain that it could do:
no puncture damage
no slice damage
very great impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

You are certain that the shield is inadequately balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the riot shield is nearly impervious to damage, and is in pristine condition.

The riot shield is made with metal.
The riot shield is somewhat pliable.
It appears that the riot shield can be worn on the left arm.
You are certain that the riot shield weighs exactly 130 stones.
You are certain that the riot shield is worth exactly 3125 Kronars.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

>profile Ianhanse

Quote: "Saying EVERYTHING 'loudly' or 'darkly' (etc.) does not make you a roleplayer. It makes you annoying."
Re: Grey Raven riot shield question 06/01/2014 12:40 PM CDT
Don't paladins get bonus shield stats? And/or Divine armor?

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Grey Raven riot shield question 06/01/2014 12:51 PM CDT
<<Don't paladins get bonus shield stats? And/or Divine armor?>>

They can see the levels of protection more accurately (such as "very high" vs everyone else seeing "high"). Divine Armor should affect their worn armor and shield but it wouldn't explain why these shields appraise so differently from what has been on elanthipedia for such a long time.

Right now, it's appraising almost exactly the same as my old gnome quest jousting shield except for being 30 stone heavier and having stronger construction.

>profile Ianhanse

Re: Grey Raven riot shield question 06/01/2014 02:55 PM CDT
I noticed this last year when I was looking for a new shield. The version that appears from the guards ring is listed on Elanthipedia as 24/26 (tremendous) protection. That too is incorrect. I was all about to get one of those then had the chance to actually appraise one.

I just assumed that either someone messed up o their appraisals, or GM's decided they were too good and tweaked them back some.

--Just a Squire
Re: Grey Raven riot shield question 06/01/2014 03:16 PM CDT
>>I just assumed that either someone messed up o their appraisals, or GM's decided they were too good and tweaked them back some.

I'd say it's the latter, just because I've gotten certains on things since forever.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Grey Raven riot shield question 06/01/2014 04:22 PM CDT
Unless you get the "Your experience with shields allows a better appraisal of the protection capabilities" message when appraising, you are seeing the less detailed scale. I don't see that messaging in the appraisal posted by Gunslinger5, but I don't think that an "impressive" or "tremendous" protection shield would ever appraise as "high" protection to someone seeing the less detailed scale.

Assuming that's been accounted for, do older versions of the shield still exist, or do they all now have the same stats? If they all have the same stats, we can just update that page on Elanthipedia. If there are actually two versions still in existence, we need to make a separate page for the new version. (Please do not post shield protection stats on Elanthipedia unless you're seeing the more detailed "Paladin" scale.)

If anyone has this shield, I'd be happy to appraise it and post updated stats.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Grey Raven riot shield question 06/01/2014 05:21 PM CDT
>>but I don't think that an "impressive" or "tremendous" protection shield would ever appraise as "high" protection to someone seeing the less detailed scale.

Now that I'm looking at my older logs, I think it's possible that "impressive" was what showed up before the last wave of shield stat updates.

So the shield is still the same shield, but the values on what counts as what changed.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Grey Raven riot shield question 06/01/2014 09:14 PM CDT
>>but I don't think that an "impressive" or "tremendous" protection shield would ever appraise as "high" protection to someone seeing the less detailed scale.

<<Now that I'm looking at my older logs, I think it's possible that "impressive" was what showed up before the last wave of shield stat updates.

So the shield is still the same shield, but the values on what counts as what changed.>>

Isharon appraised the one I had in my hands today and updated the elanthipedia page for the shield. If the scale of protection levels is different than what the "appraisal" page shows for shields I would like to see that.

>profile Ianhanse

Re: Grey Raven riot shield question 06/01/2014 09:24 PM CDT
>>Isharon appraised the one I had in my hands today and updated the elanthipedia page for the shield. If the scale of protection levels is different than what the "appraisal" page shows for shields I would like to see that.

I know and absolutely agree. I'm just saying where I think I see where the confusion came from. It possibly just needed another updating when the new levels came out.