Arm-worn Shield and Held Shield Priority Between the two? 05/06/2014 01:32 AM CDT

Hello all, I am hoping I can either get an answer from a GM or someone who has tested this, but I am curious... if I have a Small Shield worn on my arm and a Large Shield in my Hand, which of them will the Shield Skill actually use when you defend? In other words, which takes priority? And is there an additional penalty for doing this? I understand you get no extra bonus from the second shield, that is not the concern. I ask because of the penalty to defense with an Arm Worn versus a held... but I tend to do this when I am hunting so that I can use a 1h with the held, sling the held over my back and grab a 2h or glaive or whatever and not have to be concerned with the extra time of putting a shield on my arm for that extra defense (not much, I admit, but every little bit helps). I don't want to do this though if it is going to penalize me more than it helps (if it even does). Thank anyone and everyone for any insight into this..
Re: Arm-worn Shield and Held Shield Priority Between the two? 05/06/2014 03:25 AM CDT
The one in hand is used, but you have the hindrance from both.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Arm-worn Shield and Held Shield Priority Between the two? 05/06/2014 04:12 AM CDT

Thank you Caraamon, that was exactly what I wished to know.. no skill penalty, but the stacked Hindrance (which could be just as bad or worse) was making it seem like I was suffering a from some sort of penalty or that the critters were getting some major lucky shots in. I guess I will be making a macro or script to switch them out faster then, as the penalty of the stacked hindrances has been enough to be too noticeable when I am hunting at 1st Weapons ranks.

One more question, if you have time to field it sir, when you have no shield actually on the arm or in the hand, and one (or more) on the back, will this also apply the hindrance or worse the stacked hindrances if more than one? I have never in all my years of playing on and off tested this, since it was never a concern to me before and If I am going to build a macro or script for a fast switch, just want to make sure I fix the problem the first time around as far as stow versus wearing.

Thank you once again for your time and patience with these (probably well known by now to everyone but me) questions.. it is very much appreciated.
Re: Arm-worn Shield and Held Shield Priority Between the two? 05/06/2014 06:56 AM CDT
I believe you don't get the hindrance from a back worn shield, but it's been so long since I've worn a shield anywhere but my arm, I'm not 100% sure.

Should be easy to tell, get the most hindering shield you can, wear it, and appraise a piece of armor. If it applies hindrance, you should see it in the appraisal.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Arm-worn Shield and Held Shield Priority Between the two? 05/06/2014 10:14 AM CDT
Hey, I know the answer to this as just changed small shields from a buckler to a targe. I forgot to adjust it to wear on the arm. But, when I did sling it on my back there was no hindrance from wearing the targe on my back. Or if there was it was so small I couldn't see it.

Bluefalcon
Re: Arm-worn Shield and Held Shield Priority Between the two? 05/06/2014 11:57 AM CDT

Thank you Caraamon and Blue very much for your replies. I just ran a quick series of tests using one of the Large Shields from the Safari and a targe from the safari. I held each in the right hand and then on the back and it made no difference to my hindrance (which is pretty high anyways), nor did the targe in my left hand or on my arm appear to visibly change the messages (I know those are a range and it likely still did some). When I held the Large Shield, however, I went from Greatly to extremely. I did not bother with trying to wear two on the back since the Large didn't change anything in the right hand or on the back by itself and even with the targe on the arm, holding the large in the left hand didn't change as far as could be seen anymore than just holding the large in the left.

Either and all ways, this was very enlightening to me, and again I thank you both for your time and information.
Re: Arm-worn Shield and Held Shield Priority Between the two? 05/06/2014 01:51 PM CDT
Back worn causes no hinderance, offers no protection. Arm worn offers protection (at ~25% top end cost), full hinderance. Hand held full value.

Samsaren