Shield Stats 02/13/2014 03:26 PM CST
Can someone please explain to me what the shield stats (the protection range) actually mean? For years, I have operated under the assumption that the "minimum" protection is the most important stat (barring hinderance), and that has born out in my own anecdotal experience, but I have no idea why that is (and maybe I'm wrong entirely this whole time).
Re: Shield Stats 02/13/2014 04:30 PM CST
2nd on this question - I had always thought it was a skill thing, lower skill used the lower range and you grew into the higher range - but I don't even know if that makes sense or not either.

Codiax.
Vote: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Shield Stats 02/13/2014 05:07 PM CST
>2nd on this question - I had always thought it was a skill thing, lower skill used the lower range and you grew into the higher range

That was my understanding as well, but I can't claim to know the source or if I just made it up. Also that the curve into the top range is fairly quick, like 200 ranks or something.
Re: Shield Stats 02/13/2014 06:33 PM CST
>>2nd on this question - I had always thought it was a skill thing, lower skill used the lower range and you grew into the higher range - but I don't even know if that makes sense or not either.<<

I always thought it was a range of protection available from melee and missile.

M@c ~]X!j % %AN_rrWB5z4%p rBa =jZb*h[mp,0;pv` knIM%aJ|
WARNING: You are carrying an extremely large number of items on your person.
Having a very high number of items can cause character corruption or
Re: Shield Stats 02/13/2014 08:56 PM CST
It's really funny when you think about it that even old time players, including those neck deep in crafting, have no idea what those stats do or mean after this many years.

I think PAFO is dead on this one. We know how protection and absorption work, generally, for armor. How about some info on shield protection?
Re: Shield Stats 02/13/2014 10:15 PM CST
Speaking of shield stats....

Small Shield from Corrugated Leather not on arm. While on arm its 2/10 on protection. Sealed not reinforced.

You are certain that it imposes trivial (2/15) maneuvering hindrance.

This shield is small in size.

Your experience with shields allows a better appraisal of the protection capabilities.

You are certain that the shield offers terrible (2/26) to very good (13/26) protection.

You are certain that it could do:
no (0/26) puncture damage
no (0/26) slice damage
very heavy (10/26) impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

You are certain that the shield is fairly (5/14) balanced and is poorly (3/14) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the small shield is highly protected against damage (13/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

It appears that the small shield can be worn on the left arm.
You are certain that the small shield weighs exactly 28 stones.
You are certain that the small shield is worth exactly 123750 Kronars.
Re: Shield Stats 02/13/2014 11:02 PM CST
"All shields have two levels of protection, referred to as "basic defense" (minimum or low-end protection) and "full defense" (maximum or high-end protection). When you appraise a shield, you will see that the shield "offers [minimum] to [maximum] protection."

"The basic defense is a guaranteed minimum level of protection afforded to all adventurers, regardless of how skilled they are in using shields. In order to take advantage of the shield's full defense, you need to have skill in shield usage. The higher the full defense rating, the more ranks are required to take full advantage of it."

No idea if that's accurate, or outdated.
Re: Shield Stats 02/14/2014 12:06 PM CST
That was always my understanding.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Shield Stats 05/11/2015 01:48 AM CDT
I came to ask basically this same question but I don't really see an answer here. What does shield protection MEAN? Blocking with a shield seems to be all or nothing as far as I can tell. Does that means a higher protection value gives some kind of bonus...? Or what? I do not understand the function.

Does anyone know, or is it a mystery to everyone?
Re: Shield Stats 05/11/2015 02:35 AM CDT
>>Jamesbw2001: I came to ask basically this same question but I don't really see an answer here. What does shield protection MEAN? Blocking with a shield seems to be all or nothing as far as I can tell. Does that means a higher protection value gives some kind of bonus...? Or what? I do not understand the function.

Shields have two different protection ratings:

"You are certain that the shield offers fair to incredible protection."

The first value is the basic defense or minimum defense. It is a guaranteed minimum level of protection, regardless of skill. (Think of it as fortuitously having your shield in the right place at the right time.)

The second value is the full defense or maximum defense. To experience the full potential of a shield requires skill in shield usage. The higher the shield's full defense rating, the more ranks in shield are required.

Blocking isn't really all or nothing; the messaging just makes it look that way sometimes.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Shield Stats 05/11/2015 10:34 AM CDT
>The higher the shield's full defense rating, the more ranks in shield are required.

Is there any idea of what rank ranges correspond to what levels? So that there's some idea of when it's time to upgrade to a shield with a higher top end rating?

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Shield Stats 05/11/2015 03:48 PM CDT
>>Olsonm6: Is there any idea of what rank ranges correspond to what levels? So that there's some idea of when it's time to upgrade to a shield with a higher top end rating?

Not that I have heard from a GM. (I would love to know too.)

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Shield Stats 05/11/2015 06:41 PM CDT
I've read all of that, but aside from what you said about shield blocking not being all or nothing, none of that explains what protection on a shield really DOES. Does having a higher protection at the same skill level (assuming you aren't limited by how much protection you can use) mean you are more likely to fully block an attack? Does it mean you take less damage when only partially blocking an attack? Is there some amount of additional skill that would be equivalent to having less skill but using a shield with a higher protection value?
Re: Shield Stats 05/12/2015 06:41 PM CDT
Yes (kind of), yes and yes.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!
Re: Shield Stats 05/12/2015 08:27 PM CDT
Gotcha. Thanks!