Sub 50 ranks of shield and ranged weapons 11/07/2013 01:40 PM CST
Now that 3.0 is here and there is a penalty to continually retreating, can someone look at removing the restriction from using a shield while loading crossbows and bows if you have less than 50 ranks?

I just started a new character and have found that you end up either having to retreat to take the penalty, stand there and get hit with only your evasion and armor to protect you, or get to 50 shield ranks and then go back and start training bows or crossbows.
Re: Sub 50 ranks of shield and ranged weapons 11/07/2013 02:38 PM CST
>>> I just started a new character and have found that you end up either having to retreat to take the penalty, stand there and get hit with only your evasion and armor to protect you, or get to 50 shield ranks and then go back and start training bows or crossbows.

To solve this I tried wearing a parry stick, which doesn't work either, sadly.
Re: Sub 50 ranks of shield and ranged weapons 11/07/2013 03:13 PM CST
I have discovered you can load a crossbow in hiding, and consequently had much fewer problems with this.
Re: Sub 50 ranks of shield and ranged weapons 11/07/2013 06:27 PM CST
A parry stick will not function if an item in your right hand is a weapon, it seems. I have been able to hold books in my right hand but not crossbows, and the crossbow disables parry stick use, but the book does not. Or so it appears.

---
"Tapeabarala asu chakapar oseane Gerenshuge sinuar sedea."
Re: Sub 50 ranks of shield and ranged weapons 11/07/2013 09:43 PM CST
You can hold a shield and use the crossbow. The only real problem is training a bow with sub 50 ranks in shield. I agree that this should go away.
Re: Sub 50 ranks of shield and ranged weapons 12/07/2013 07:01 AM CST

Revisiting this, rolled up a ranger and he gets the snot kicked out of him when using bows. Granted those first 50 ranks go quick, but, a player brand new to the game would probably get frustrated with how hard it is to get away with using a bow out of the gate.
Re: Sub 50 ranks of shield and ranged weapons 12/07/2013 07:23 AM CST
Agree it's and old system that needs to get looked at.
Re: Sub 50 ranks of shield and ranged weapons 12/07/2013 12:00 PM CST
Agreed. Tactics I've used in the past:

Listen to a Shield class for 50 ranks before beginning any combat

Training melee weapons and shield for 50 ranks before going back and starting all over again backtraining ranged weapons of any kind

The good news is that you can train HT and LT with shield and gain missile mastery ranks so that backtraining stick bows or crossbow isn't QUITE as painful, but that 50 rank requirement stinks.

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: Sub 50 ranks of shield and ranged weapons 12/07/2013 06:38 PM CST
I mean honestly its a slight adjustment in a script to make it work, but the bottom line is for new players that is annoying. On second thought, maybe having new players have to do this is a good introduction to DR and how you will have to tweak things due to ancient code, on third thought wait that is a terrible thing. On fourth thought this is about how DR is going to go for now and in the future so get used to it....
(question mark)
Re: Sub 50 ranks of shield and ranged weapons 12/07/2013 10:45 PM CST
The 50 rank requirement has been removed.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Sub 50 ranks of shield and ranged weapons 12/07/2013 11:26 PM CST
HUZZAH! Kodius, you rock. Seriously.

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: Sub 50 ranks of shield and ranged weapons 12/08/2013 04:14 AM CST
>The 50 rank requirement has been removed.

Damn it, damn it all.

Shield Usage: 52 50.95% engaged (22/34)

Lol, thanks Kodius, you are a complete badass, I didn't expect you to hit that nearly as fast. Should never have doubted you.
Re: Sub 50 ranks of shield and ranged weapons 12/08/2013 06:37 AM CST

>The 50 rank requirement has been removed.<

My future noobs say thank you
Re: Sub 50 ranks of shield and ranged weapons 12/09/2013 05:44 AM CST
I wasn't able to load a crossbow or a short bow with a worn target shield on my moon mage in prime.

You move a short bow to your right hand.
> load
You cannot manage to load your short bow while wearing a target shield on your arm.

and

You get a light crossbow from inside your tinker's pack.
> load
You cannot manage to load your light crossbow while wearing a target shield on your arm.

Shield Usage: 14 62% clear
Missile Mastery: 16 87% very riveted
Crossbow: 13 24% engaged
Bows: 0 00% clear
Re: Sub 50 ranks of shield and ranged weapons 12/11/2013 02:12 PM CST

My baby barbarian was also unable to load a longbow with a worn shield.
Re: Sub 50 ranks of shield and ranged weapons 03/29/2014 03:34 PM CDT

Still doesn't work for me in TF, ranger.

> remove bow

You sling a short bow off from over your shoulder.
> load
You cannot manage to load your short bow while wearing a target shield on your arm.

> remove shield

You loosen the straps securing your target shield and remove it.
> load
You can not load the short bow with a target shield in your left hand!
>
Re: Sub 50 ranks of shield and ranged weapons 03/30/2014 04:27 AM CDT
Doesn't work in Prime either, had to do things the old fashioned way for my new lil barb.
Re: Sub 50 ranks of shield and ranged weapons 04/05/2014 11:12 PM CDT
I actually read the post where he said he was removing it when I reopened my account a month ago and when I saw that a new Ranger I made still couldn't do it I just assumed I misunderstood what he was trying to say and moved on. It doesn't work in Prime either.