Prev_page Previous 1
Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 01:00 AM CST
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:Odd_thing_I_am_noticing..._-_8/2/2009_-_15:05:19
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:Combat_3.0_Update_-_02/05/2012_-_16:12

While doing some research, I came across posts saying that shield hindrance doesn't affect evasion, it affects shield use, and this confuses me.

So bigger shields will make you block better (+protection) AND block worse (hindrance).

This seems... wierd.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 01:54 AM CST
After some digging this is what we currently have:

Evasion: Takes overall hindrance (armor + shield) and this value penalizes the stat bonus to evasion skill by a large amount, and evasion skill by a smaller amount.

Parry: Overall hindrance penalizes skill bonus from weapon balance and stats, shield hindrance penalizes parry ranks.

Shield: Shield hindrance penalizes stat bonus to skill.

So I think the error here is shield should be using (overall hindrance - shield hindrance) to determine the penalty to shield skill. Its hindrance penalty is too small currently. We'll see, not in any rush to fix this just yet.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 03:07 AM CST
The shield hindrance this kind of is curious. Bigger shield protects more but hinders more...so um...it negates itself? My guess the reason why shield hindrance applies to a smaller fraction would be to make that logic make sense, else why wear big shields, especially with high levels of skill?
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 03:11 AM CST
>Bigger shield protects more but hinders more...so um...it negates itself?

Yeah, that was my disconnect as well.

Weapons for Sale:
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 03:13 AM CST
It doesn't hinder more if you can work off the shield hindrance - which most people are doing to a large extent. We're talking a % or two here, wheras the shield size bonus is in the double digits.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 03:27 AM CST
Interesting, thanks for explaining.

Weapons for Sale:
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 03:35 AM CST

Could I ask how much skill approximately it takes to train off large shield hinderance as an armor tert?

<<"earning too little skinning experience for a day or so isn't nearly as bad as having a spell that breaks your wings."
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 04:01 AM CST
As I understand, the minimums for hindrances are based off skill set and armor size (low/medium/large) and of course the armors starting hindrance, and you never really train it off entirely.

I imagine an armor tert can train off most of the armor of a light shield, armor secondaries are the same with medium and armor primaries with large/heavies.
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 07:46 AM CST
Yeah, as far as I can tell, medium and large shields are flatly unusable by armor terts even when you use the lightest/least hindering shields out there, which sucks. I'm baffled how the penalty is actually supposed to increase. Whatever %-based bonus there is for shield size, it absolutely is not outweighing the hinderance hit for me. Here's a re-post of something I put in Bugs the other day.

I tested various shield sizes and their effective protection with Leilond with the goal of figuring out which shield would be best to use against ranged. As a MM, going up the size ladder means a hit to hinderance, so I got the two least hindering bigger shields I could find. What we found, however, was the medium and large shields were considerably worst against thrown weapons, even with very negligible hinderance differences. All shields were in pristine condition during testing. No burden. No buffs for either side. Thrown weapon was a tyrium throwing axe.

Shield appraisals with effective hinderance on each below. Note the skirmisher shield has slightly more effective hinderance than the ceremonial shield, but it only shows up if you mix armor enough to really test the shades of hinderance--it's that close.

Lumium Ceremonial Shield (small) arm-worn:

You are certain that the shield offers poor (5/26) to better than fair (9/26) protection.

You are certain that it could do:
no (0/26) puncture damage
no (0/26) slice damage
heavy (9/26) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
no (0/26) electric damage

You are certain that the shield is decently (6/15) balanced and is inadequately (4/15) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently insignificantly (3/14) hindered and your stealth is somewhat (6/14) hindered.

Lumium Skirmisher Shield (medium), hand-held:

You are certain that the shield offers poor (5/26) to very good (13/26) protection.

no (0/26) slice damage
very heavy (10/26) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage

You are certain that the shield is fairly (5/15) balanced and is decently (6/15) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently insignificantly (3/14) hindered and your stealth is somewhat (6/14) hindered.

Lumium Kite Shield (large), hand-held:

You are certain that the shield offers dismal (3/26) to very high (15/26) protection.

no (0/26) slice damage
very great (12/26) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage

You are certain that the shield is poorly (3/15) balanced and is reasonably (7/15) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently lightly (4/14) hindered and your stealth is moderately (7/14) hindered.

Test: I stanced down until he would hit somewhat consistently against the small shield, then we did series of 10 throws to see how many would hit with each shield.

Ceremonial shield: 3.5 hits out of 10.
Skirmisher shield: 7 hits out of 10.
Kite shield: 8 hits out of 10.
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 10:53 AM CST
> Yeah, as far as I can tell, medium and large shields are flatly unusable by armor terts even when you use the lightest/least hindering shields out there, which sucks.

I agree. I liked the idea that every guild would be able to effectively use plate and large shields or any other armor type depending on the niche they're trying to fill or the opponent they're facing.
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 11:04 AM CST
We still need to perform in depth testing to confirm, but Gorteous convinced me of a theory that suggests that Medium/Large shield performance is largely tied to the discrepancy between Shield and Evasion skill.
i.e. If your Shield skill is close to your Evasion skill then you can make good use out of Medium shields, and if your Shield skill is greater than your Evasion skill then you can make good use out of Large shields.

The idea is basically that the more shield hinderance you have is the more your evasion defense is penalized, so if you're relying on Evasion skill more than Shield skill to defend at your level then you're probably better off using a not-so-hindering shield.

We still need to confirm with a large data set, but that is the general idea.

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 11:56 AM CST
My shield is 84% of my evasion. If at that ratio, I'm locked out of the lightest/least hindering medium and large shields (like, it's not even close), that sucks. I'm not asking armor tert parity to secondary/primes, I'm asking for the hinderance to be re-considered in light of the way its penalty apparently swamps any bonus to protection from the larger shields. Leilond, if you have data otherwise now, please post it. If you saw other results as a tert defending yourself, please extrapolate. I hope I'm just flat wrong and there's a variable missing.
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 02:54 PM CST
<<The idea is basically that the more shield hinderance you have is the more your evasion defense is penalized, so if you're relying on Evasion skill more than Shield skill to defend at your level then you're probably better off using a not-so-hindering shield.

This has been my experience when I was testing different size shields. Evasion being 200 ranks lower, the better protects of the large shields outweigh the hindrance. Of course, it is a trade off if I am not fighting critters and am subject to DFA. My evasion is tanked even more likely making whatever evasion buff that form of attack against me gives even less of a buff. Oops.. sorry.. did not mean to derail anything. Just typing away.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 04:00 PM CST
I think more extensive testing has to be done before anyone freaks out over anything. That said I would say:

1) The armor feats system is not out yet. When they are you will get more capabilities to customize your setup, similar to magic slots.
2) Some things are heavily based on skill slot placement, even in modern design. Magic secondaries and primaries recover harness more quickly than terts. Certain affects are scaled to be more effective with them to (such as room mana boosters).
3) By and large the armor skill set is entirely focused on one thing (defense) where survival is a very multifaceted skillset, and its predominant benefit is minimum hindrance at this time. When armor gets further expanded (armor feat system) to maybe bit a little more multifaceted then I think more can be done with it. This heralds back the first bullet point, but I imagine when armor feats come out you could if you wish, spend all your feats to reducing the hindrance of light, then medium and eventually heavy shields (at the cost of specializing elsewhere with other armor feat effects).
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 04:06 PM CST
>>Rewyn: 1) The armor feats system is not out yet. When they are you will get more capabilities to customize your setup, similar to magic slots.

Has this been confirmed? Feats for other skillsets (armor, weapons, and survival) is a popular suggestion, and one that I support, but I haven't read any official posts about it.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 04:17 PM CST
Maybe not, i thought all skill sets were getting some feat system though.
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 04:59 PM CST
Nothing is set in stone over any potential feats for weapon and armor skills. There will be a combo system released hopefully later today, but that will be open to everyone and offer special tie-ins for Endurance and Expertise. Its effects will focus mostly on the target, not on the user.

Honestly, I don't know how we would balance armor feats. Everyone would obviously take the feats to make Plate armor non-hindering, leaving the other armor skills to rot. We can't increase armor protection any more than we currently have with capped tyrium heavy plate, so feats of that nature are off the table. We've been unable to brainstorm anything beyond that...

Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 05:43 PM CST
My ideas for armor feats:

* Ablative armor usage -- sort of what some people were looking at with layered armors, but the outer layer would be a consumable, ablative, layer. Would let armor skill accomplish a similar effect to some magic spells, and allow for some more crafting / supplying interactions. Make re-applying ablative pieces time consuming so it's not just quickly replaced. Sort of an armor version of MAF (though probably not as easily destroyed).

* Captain Elanthia! -- can use shield as a thrown weapon, giving armor wearers a ranged attack based on primary skillset (with the choice of de-shielding themselves obviously)

* Tactical armor usage -- can equip armor pieces with tactical / brawling utility. Think Batman's gauntlets of disarming.

* Second Skin -- reduction in armor penalties to athletics and some other non-combat checks

* Disciplined Warrior -- reduction in damage armor takes over time.

* Stone Skin -- for lighter armor wearers & stealth users in particular, a slight boost to natural unarmored protection for those times you just don't want to wear more than a lorica.

* Dedicated Defense -- can boost defensive skills for a short period of time, at a significant cost to offensive skills.

* Quiet Fighter -- some level of stealth hinderance reduction or a short term ability to accomplish that for those time you just want to stay still in the shadows.

* Battle Ready -- receive a minor bonus to defense from even having a back worn shield on (maybe backstab defense, heh).

* Defenseless Opponent -- knowledge and experience with armor let your attacks have a slightly increased chance to damage an opponents armor.

Just the ones that sort of seemed like they might be useful and fun to me. I can think of a few more that might favor the non-plate wearing crowd too.

Player of Ryken
---
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." ~ Doug Larson

AIM - RykenDR
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 06:46 PM CST
For my own part, the armor feat I'd like to see is the ability to leverage your armor (particularly plate) as your shield. Basically, instead of using a piece of metal-bound lumber, you can leverage your shield skill to use various parts of your metal armor to fend off blows. Although it would be a step more towards realism (ever see someone outside of a joust using both plate and a shield?), it would require some drawbacks, such as never protecting better than a buckler, and opening you to more impact damage than a shield.

-Ray
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 06:46 PM CST
Not sure how we'd implement ablative armor in my lifetime, but it would tend to be overpowered. We just cannot allow armor to protect any better than it currently can, without nerfing armor as a whole and reducing the difference in protection between armor types.

Throwing shields without them auto-returning is forbidden due to the CE problems of people assisting for help recovering lost shields. Its a problem with the engine, nothing we can fix, but I do not want to exacerbate it. I'm also not sure anyone would find this useful without auto-return? It doesn't make sense for a shield to return without magic involved, and feats would be purely non-magical. Thinking maybe a Paladin spell for this one.

Not sure where we'd go with tactical armor. Have to think about that some more. Tactics is non-damaging and armor already gives a brawling damage bonus.

Second skin sounds interesting, though the reduction would be modest. I don't care who you are, swimming in Plate should never be easy.

Dedicated defense is already available via STANCE adjustments

Quiet Fighter would be overpowered. Allowing people to sneak in heavy plate just doesn't make sense. There are balance reasons why we don't want to allow it to happen.

Not sure about Battle Ready. Major combat overhaul to detect that condition I'm afraid.

Damaging armor is something I'd like to see expanded, but we don't know how to do it without causing CE issues. I doubt this would be useful in most PvE fights. You aren't going to be whacking on something for the hour it would take to break its armor :P I have plans for a combo that reduces armor protection for a while too.

Anyhow, its just a tough balancing act and I will not be able to dedicate time for weapon or armor feats this year, even if we did propose a plan of action. Finishing combos/endurance/expertise, alchemy/enchanting, bosses, siege combat, etc. Along with fixing bugs. Those are my focuses for now.

Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 07:06 PM CST
<<Finishing combos/endurance/expertise, alchemy/enchanting, bosses, siege combat, etc.>>

Awesome and exciting, Kodius, thanks for all the hard work. It's an amazing thing you guys have put together to this point, and you've been great dealing with our "testing"/whining.
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 07:11 PM CST
Agreed. I was just tossing ideas out there, don't take it as a complaint at all!

Player of Ryken
---
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." ~ Doug Larson

AIM - RykenDR
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 07:21 PM CST
>>DR-Kodius: Honestly, I don't know how we would balance armor feats. Everyone would obviously take the feats to make Plate armor non-hindering, leaving the other armor skills to rot. We can't increase armor protection any more than we currently have with capped tyrium heavy plate, so feats of that nature are off the table. We've been unable to brainstorm anything beyond that...

A few ideas that may appeal to people who train multiple armors:

Reduce the additional mixed armor penalty

Reduce the roundtime for switching armor

Reduce encumbrance associated with wearing or carrying armor

Switch armor setups with one command

Brawling armor that may injure people who grapple with you (I'm not sure if this is feat material, but it sounds cool.)

Armor layering (with additional hindrance penalties, of course)

Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 07:51 PM CST
To be used with throw away shields:

Stationary Shield Wall: More of pitched battles, make a wall of tower shields or what not by stacking the into the ground, makes it harder for attackers to advance for instance archers, but perhaps pole arm users.

Shield Wall: A Defensive formation for pitched battles.

I know I (and a few others) gave a bit of ideas in another thread somewhere too, know to think of where we toss that.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 08:39 PM CST
Regarding stealth hinderance, I would kill for something that made LC useable in stealth a bit more for a MM. Barring that, if that's considered falling into the realm of hiding-in-plate-OP, any reduction in the shield hit to stealth hinderance, or even the hinderance on leather, would be great. That's a feat I would use.
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 10:57 PM CST
Armor Feat Suggestions

General

>>>> Advanced Light Armor Maneuvering: Grants a small maneuvering hinderance reduction to Light Armor pieces.
>>>> Advanced Chain Armor Maneuvering: Grants a small maneuvering hinderance reduction to Light Armor pieces. Also grants the ability to JUMP YOURCHARACTERNAME while wearing this kind of armor, with a successful strength/agility check.
>>>> Advanced Brigandine Armor Maneuvering: Grants a small maneuvering hinderance reduction to Light Armor pieces. Also grants the ability to JUMP YOURCHARACTERNAME while wearing this kind of armor, with a successful strength/agility check.
>>>> Advanced Plate Armor Maneuvering: Grants a small maneuvering hinderance reduction to Light Armor pieces. Also grants the ability to JUMP YOURCHARACTERNAME while wearing this kind of armor, with a successful strength/agility check.

Magic Defense

>>>> Targeted Defense: Knowledge of specifically maneuvering in armor against targeted matrices. Small bonus in armor ranks vs TM attacks.
>>>>>>>> Multi-shot Defense Specialization: Takes TM defense knowledge to greater heights by giving the user a small bonus in armor ranks vs DFA TM attacks. Requires Targeted Defense.
>>>>>>>>>>>> DFA Defense Specialization: One of two of the pinnacles of TM defense knowledge -- The user receives a small armor bonus against DFA TM attacks. Requires Multi-shot Defense Specialization.
>>>>>>>>>>>> AOE Defense Specialization: One of two of the pinnacles of TM defense knowledge -- The user receives a small armor bonus against AOE TM attacks. Requires Multi-shot Defense Specialization.

>>>>>>>> Magic Damage Mitigation: Reduces the damage the armor in question receives against magical forms of damage. Requires Targeted Defense.

Melee Defense

>>>> Brawling Defense: Knowledge of specifically maneuvering in armor against brawling attacks. Ample bonus in armor ranks vs Brawling weapon attacks.
>>>>>>>> Bodily Damage: When the user defends successfully against a brawling attack, a small chance to damage the attacking body part of the aggressor against the armor. Requires Brawling Defense.

>>>> Edged Defense: Knowledge of specifically maneuvering in armor against edged weapon class attacks. Small bonus in armor ranks vs SE, LE and 2HE weapon attacks.
>>>>>>>> Small Edged Defense Specialization: Improves upon the general edged defense with additional knowledge of specifically maneuvering against Small Edged weapon attacks. Requires Edged Defense.
>>>>>>>> Large Edged Defense Specialization: Improves upon the general edged defense with additional knowledge of specifically maneuvering against Large Edged weapon attacks. Requires Edged Defense.
>>>>>>>> Two-Handed Edged Defense Specialization: Improves upon the general edged defense with additional knowledge of specifically maneuvering against Two-Handed Edged weapon attacks. Requires Edged Defense.
>>>>>>>>>>>> Edged Deflection: When the user defends successfully against an attack of one of the edged skills of which he/she has a Defense Specialization, a small chance to throw the opponent off balance or inflict a small RT. Requires Small Edged Defense Specialization, Large Edged Defense Specialization or Two-Handed Edged Defense Specialization.

>>>> Blunt Defense: Knowledge of specifically maneuvering in armor against blunt weapon class attacks. Small bonus in armor ranks vs SB, LB and 2HB weapon attacks.
>>>>>>>> Small Blunt Defense Specialization: Improves upon the general blunt defense with additional knowledge of specifically maneuvering against Small Blunt weapon attacks. Requires Blunt Defense.
>>>>>>>> Large Blunt Defense Specialization: Improves upon the general blunt defense with additional knowledge of specifically maneuvering against Large Blunt weapon attacks. Requires Blunt Defense.
>>>>>>>> Two-Handed Blunt Defense Specialization: Improves upon the general blunt defense with additional knowledge of specifically maneuvering against Two-Handed Blunt weapon attacks. Requires Blunt Defense.
>>>>>>>>>>>> Blunt Deflection: When the user defends successfully against an attack from one of the blunt skills of which he/she has a Defense Specialization, a small chance to throw the opponent off balance or inflict a small RT. Requires Small Blunt Defense Specialization, Large Blunt Defense Specialization or Two-Handed Blunt Defense Specialization.

>>>> Pole Defense: Knowledge of specifically maneuvering in armor against pole weapon class attacks. Small bonus in armor ranks vs Staves and Polearms weapon class attacks.
>>>>>>>> Staves Defense Specialization: Improves upon the general blunt defense with additional knowledge of specifically maneuvering against Small Blunt weapon attacks. Requires Blunt Defense.
>>>>>>>> Polearms Defense Specialization: Improves upon the general blunt defense with additional knowledge of specifically maneuvering against Large Blunt weapon attacks. Requires Blunt Defense.
>>>>>>>>>>>> Pole Deflection: When the user defends successfully against an attack from one of the pole skills of which he/she has a Defense Specialization, a small chance to throw the opponent off balance or inflict a small RT. Requires Staves Defense Specialization or Polearms Defense Specialization.

>>>>>>>> Melee Damage Mitigation: Reduces the damage the armor in question receives against physical forms of damage from melee weapon class attacks. Requires Edged Defense, Blunt Defense or Pole Defense.

Ranged Defense

>>>> Thrown Defense: Knowledge of specifically maneuvering in armor against thrown weapon class attacks. Small bonus in armor ranks vs Light Thrown and Heavy Thrown weapon class attacks.
>>>>>>>> Light Thrown Defense Specialization: Improves upon the general thrown defense with additional knowledge of specifically maneuvering against Light Thrown weapon attacks. Requires Thrown Defense.
>>>>>>>> Heavy Thrown Defense Specialization: Improves upon the general thrown defense with additional knowledge of specifically maneuvering against Heavy Thrown weapon attacks. Requires Thrown Defense.
>>>>>>>>>>>> Thrown Damage Avoidance: When the user fails to defend successfully against an attack from one of the thrown skills of which he/she has a Defense Specialization, a small chance for the armor to take extra damage so that the character takes none.

>>>> Ranged Defense: Knowledge of specifically maneuvering in armor against ranged weapon class attacks. Small bonus in armor ranks vs Bows, Crossbows and Slings weapon class attacks.
>>>>>>>> Bows Defense Specialization: Improves upon the general ranged defense with additional knowledge of specifically maneuvering against Bow weapon attacks. Requires Ranged Defense.
>>>>>>>> Crossbows Defense Specialization: Improves upon the general ranged defense with additional knowledge of specifically maneuvering against Crossbow weapon attacks. Requires Ranged Defense.
>>>>>>>> Slings Defense Specialization: Improves upon the general ranged defense with additional knowledge of specifically maneuvering against Sling weapon attacks. Requires Ranged Defense.
>>>>>>>>>>>> Ranged Damage Avoidance: When the user fails to defend successfully against an attack from one of the ranged skills of which he/she has a Defense Specialization, a small chance for the armor to take extra damage so that the character takes none.

>>>>>>>> Ranged Damage Mitigation: Reduces the damage the armor in question receives against physical forms of damage from thrown/ranged weapon class attacks. Requires Thrown Defense or Ranged Defense.

~ Leilond
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/23/2013 11:49 PM CST
All these ideas are interesting but here's my big question. It seems like people are acting like the feats in place right now, the magic feats, are free. They aren't, they cost spell slots. What exactly are these armor/weapon/etc feats going to cost? Slots granted by skills? By guild and circle? That's a pretty big thing that would need to be addressed first and the manner in which the slots are granted would be something I imagine would be hotly debated. As a magic user, you give up potential spells to gain feats. What would someone be giving up to have these non-magic feats? If nothing, then magic users are would be getting a pretty sore deal.

Discuss.
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/24/2013 12:03 AM CST
>>As a magic user, you give up potential spells to gain feats. What would someone be giving up to have these non-magic feats? If nothing, then magic users are would be getting a pretty sore deal.

Why?

Anyway, I think slot # would be dependant on...
Armor Feats > Defending
Melee Weapon Feats > Melee Mastery
Ranged Weapon Feats > Missile Mastery

~ Leilond
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/24/2013 12:07 AM CST
Then you are basically asking for these feats for free. You cannot avoid training those 3 skills unless you forget combat altogether, which now no guild can really do. To gain magic feats you have to give up slots that would otherwise be spells. Why would non-magic feats be basically free instead?
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/24/2013 12:07 AM CST
>Armor Feats > Defending
>Melee Weapon Feats > Melee Mastery
>Ranged Weapon Feats > Missile Mastery

Unless you plan to switch spell slots to PM, then skillset looks like the precent.

Armor Feats > Armor skillset
Weapon Feats > Weapon skillset

Weapons for Sale:
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/24/2013 12:10 AM CST
Caraamon's model is closer, but there is still the fact that in contention for those slots for magic feats there are other things that you would otherwise be giving up (spells). What would there be to contend with these feats? Would there just be inherently few slots to prevent you from just taking each one you want?
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/24/2013 12:14 AM CST
>Caraamon's model is closer, but there is still the fact that in contention for those slots for magic feats there are other things that you would otherwise be giving up (spells).

I would counter with "what do you get for being primary in either of those?" Not much.

Weapons for Sale:
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/24/2013 12:15 AM CST
Treat it like stance points -- Armor Primary guilds get slots at 1 per 60 ranks, Secondary get slots at 1 per 70, and Tertiary get slots at 1 per 80 or whatever. Basically stagger the gain based on skillset placement.

Also, spell slots are just as free because they're based on circle. Spells can be considered as much a perk as a non-spell feat.

~ Leilond
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/24/2013 12:22 AM CST
I'm actually running models, for what I'd like to see as feats (still trying to cover a bit, and of course this is just pen and paper and brainstorming concepts, not like truly knowing the games code and knowing how hard it would be).

But overall It's based slower in gaining feats than magic (because while magic does have its own things besides spells, everyone can just grab a weapon and use, or a shield, and start learning ranks, you need to get spells for learning ranks).

Also Lore has lowest feat get per circle gained, due to the already available 'feat-like' careers and hobbies, and the technique system.

Obviously I say all this, and I'm just a player, but once I have a more concrete outline, I'll throw some numbers out, and try and make the charts all pretty by using tables.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/24/2013 01:27 AM CST
I much prefer the parity of slots being given out by circle based off skill set placement. I realize that wont be as attractive to people that are armor tert or weapon tert, but as a supernatural tert I get this treatment currently. It would keep things comparable (a slot is a slot is a slot) and ensure that the model holds more or less with a maximum amount of feats you can get, instead of it going on to a psuedo forever (up to 1500 ranks).

Also having feats given out for ranks means at low levels you will make almost no choices, which leads to a lot of early training problems (training armors at low levels can already be problematic for many guilds based off choice). If you are getting a feat every 60 ranks that might seem fine at 1000 ranks, not so much at 30.
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/24/2013 02:08 AM CST
>>Regarding stealth hinderance, I would kill for something that made LC useable in stealth a bit more for a MM. Barring that, if that's considered falling into the realm of hiding-in-plate-OP, any reduction in the shield hit to stealth hinderance, or even the hinderance on leather, would be great. That's a feat I would use.

Probably not ideal if you're considering PvP since everyone forages rocks all day, but as another survival secondary, I can hide in chain and even brigandine, and my stealth skill's pretty crappy for my level. That's with stealth buff (Panther form) and immobilization, which gives critters a huge penalty to perception (as well as disabling their ability to search for you).

Whenever I play a survival primary, I use chain as my default armor, even for PvP.
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/24/2013 03:01 AM CST
I like the idea of gaining feat slots when you circle.
You get 1 slot every circle.
Spells cost a bit more to offset not having to split slots between spells and feats.
Feats in your primary skill set cost 1 slot per feat, while secondary and tertiary skill set feats cost 2 slots.

An interesting feat for weapons and or armor could be unlocking the possibility of different combat messaging. For example you get the Showy Armor feat, now you can use a better message when you type in parry. It's just a copy of the alternate magical preps but it could be adapted to the most common 3 activities in each skill set. More examples would be a better message when foraging/athletic or a more showy way of drawing a weapon or some interesting way of appraising. Of course you'd have to learn the exact message somewhere in game but that's par for the course.

I also like the ideas of feats for lowering the multi-armor type penalty, decreasing the penalty when arm wearing a shield, decreasing the hindrance when wearing all the same armor type, unlocking a move that lets you stand(not attacking) and gain stamina like you were laying down(only works in combat), decrease the penalty to overlapping areas with more than one piece of armor, and a very small chance to turn a stun into armor damage instead.

Some random ideas include cantrip like abilities for each skillset(hold two weapons and juggle them; forage up a tyrium toothpick clean your teeth and toss it; use your armor to sun tan; ...), being able to learn one other language for a lore feat, and reducing the penalty to hiding while injured.
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/24/2013 03:27 AM CST
Either awarding the slots via circle or Defending skill doesn't really matter IMO.

The craft skills and the lore feat system work just fine and those are based entirely off of skill and picking careers/hobbies, etc. In contrast, the magic skills and the spell feat system work off of circle.

Neither way especially bonuses or penalizes Skillset Primary/Secondary/Tertiary guilds, so I think it's just a matter of how the GMs set it up in a staggered fashion.

With regard to the Armor slots, I'm not sure if there are any guilds without an armor requirement to advance in circle, which is why ideally I would like the slots to be gated based off of an armor skill which is trained in combat rather than just circle advancement. But I guess the same thing could be said about magic and spell slots, so, meh?

~ Leilond
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/24/2013 03:34 AM CST
I think its more a control and dispersion matter. If you spread things out by ranks, then you have to do so with a 1500 max in mind. That means for instance, a feat every 60 ranks. For new player that can mean weeks before their first feat depending on how much they play.

If you base it off circle, you get many more feats in those first few days/weeks and then it tappers off more gradually. I think the model spells have is a good idea in general (some guilds start with free feats (2 for primaries, one for secondaries) and primaries gain feats more rapidly initially, secondaries behind that and eventually everyone gets them as the tert rate.

Preserve certain advantages to placement, similar to harness regeneration.

In general though, the game needs lots of other things right now I imagine (outlined by Kodius).
Re: Shield Hindrance 02/24/2013 04:12 PM CST
>>Spiritflare: It seems like people are acting like the feats in place right now, the magic feats, are free. They aren't, they cost spell slots. What exactly are these armor/weapon/etc feats going to cost? Slots granted by skills? By guild and circle?

It could be treated like the crafting system, where you get a certain number of free feat slots (based on guild and/or skillset placement), with additional slots being earned by ranks in relevant skills.

Or if you want to do it by circle, let the rate of slot gain be dictated by skillset placement (as it currently is with spell slots).

Prev_page Previous 1