Fine Wall Shield vs. Horn of Plenty 06/21/2012 11:48 AM CDT
Hey all.

I was wondering if anyone has a fine wall shield I can compare my appraisal to. Something seems off with it, but I assisted and it seems to be okay. Maybe someone knows a little more about shields and appraisals than I do. I'm recently back to DR, and with breaking beyond repair off, I pulled some old shields out of my vault to play around with. I have old appraisals from when I was last around, which are:

Fine Wall Shield - Moderate to Impressive, Well Constructed, Great Hindrance
Crescent-Shaped Steel Tower Shield Embossed with a Horn-of-plenty and a Cluster of Ripe Red Grapes - Low to Incredible, Fairly Sturdy, High Hindrance

Now I pulled them both from my vault and was going to mess with them, and get this:

Wall Shield

You are certain that it imposes insane (15/15) maneuvering hindrance.

This shield is large in size.

Your experience with shields allows a better appraisal of the protection capabilities.

You are certain that the shield offers low (7/26) to great (16/26) protection.

You are certain that it could do:
no (0/26) puncture damage
no (0/26) slice damage
severe (13/26) impact damage

You are certain that the shield is fairly (5/14) balanced and is reasonably (7/14) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the wall shield is a bit safeguarded against damage (10/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

> adjust shield
You adjust the straps of your shield, tightening them so that it will fit securely upon your left arm.

> wear wall shield
You slide your left arm through the straps on your wall shield and flex, gaining a feel for the shield's weight.

> appraise wall shield

Your experience with shields allows a better appraisal of the protection capabilities.

You are certain that the shield offers low (7/26) to great (16/26) protection.

no (0/26) slice damage
severe (13/26) impact damage

You are certain that the shield is fairly (5/14) balanced and is reasonably (7/14) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the wall shield is a bit safeguarded against damage (10/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

The first thing that seems strange, aside from it giving pretty mediocre protection with pretty terrible hindrance, is that the appraisal is the same both arm worn and held.

> prep da
You are already preparing the Divine Armor spell!

> har 25
You tap into the mana from twenty-five of the surrounding streams and attempt to keep it channeling in a stream around you.
Roundtime: 3 seconds

R> har 25
You tap into the mana from twenty-five of the surrounding streams and add it to the appreciable amount already streaming around you.

R> cast
You gesture.
The mana you were holding contributes to the spell.
You are unable to keep some of the mana from leaking out of the spell pattern. (Not quite capped)
Your wall shield feels more substantial.

> rem shield
You loosen the straps securing your wall shield and remove it.

> adjust shield
You adjust the straps of your shield, lengthening them so that it can be worn across your shoulder.

> appraise shield

You are certain that the shield offers better than fair (9/26) to exceptional (18/26) protection.

no (0/26) slice damage
very severe (14/26) impact damage

You are certain that the shield is decently (6/14) balanced and is reasonably (7/14) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

---

Here is the same experiment with the crescent tower, which seems like the winner in all ways aside from minimum protection.

Crescent Tower

You get a crescent-shaped steel tower shield embossed with a horn-of-plenty and a cluster of ripe red grapes from inside your suede haversack.

> app shield
You are certain that it imposes debilitating (13/15) maneuvering hindrance.

You are certain that the shield offers very poor (4/26) to impressive (20/26) protection.

no (0/26) slice damage

You are certain that the shield is poorly (3/14) balanced and is reasonably (7/14) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the tower shield is marginally vulnerable to damage (8/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

R> prep da
Since you're not feeding enough power into the spell pattern to make it coherent, you quickly work your way to the minimum required.
You begin chanting a prayer to invoke the Divine Armor spell.

> har 25
You tap into the mana from twenty-five of the surrounding streams and attempt to keep it channeling in a stream around you.

R> har 25
You tap into the mana from twenty-five of the surrounding streams and add it to the appreciable amount already streaming around you.

R> cast
You gesture.
The mana you were holding contributes to the spell.
You are unable to keep some of the mana from leaking out of the spell pattern.
Your tower shield feels more substantial.

> app shield
You are certain that it imposes debilitating (13/15) maneuvering hindrance.

You are certain that the shield offers rather low (6/26) to amazing (22/26) protection.

no (0/26) slice damage

You are certain that the shield is inadequately (4/14) balanced and is reasonably (7/14) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the tower shield is marginally vulnerable to damage (8/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

I guess what I'm trying to say, is my memory of the wall shield wrong? I thought that in return for the ridiculous hindrance and weight you got a little more top end protection too. The only thing it has going is the higher minimum protection, which would make it a notch better than the crescent when arm worm. Which probably wouldn't matter with the extra weight and levels of hindrance. It seems strange that it's top level of protection is only 16/26, right? Or am I off base? Anyone else have one handy to compare and make sure its not just me? Anyways, long story short, I should be using the Crescent, right? I'd like to get one altered and bonded now that breakage is off, so trying to figure this out just became important to me.
Re: Fine Wall Shield vs. Horn of Plenty 06/21/2012 11:57 AM CDT

Your memory is not incorrect, but the appraisal ranges for shields were changed about 2 months ago (give or take.) http://www.elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:Shield_Update_-_04/29/2012_-_15:23

I'm sure someone who understands it better can give more detail (I'm too lazy to find the actual thread) but basically the way the shields function did not change at all. You get the same protection you did before, but the name of it has changed.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Fine Wall Shield vs. Horn of Plenty 06/21/2012 01:11 PM CDT
Yuck! I felt like the wall shield had a little more to offer on the high end than that. Maybe I'll get the crescent altered then. Thanks!
Re: Fine Wall Shield vs. Horn of Plenty 06/21/2012 02:06 PM CDT
Looks like you have one of the "fake wall shields" from some random fest that was in Leth one time. They had suri's there as well and "fine wall shields". Both of those appraised like store-bought.

Madigan
Re: Fine Wall Shield vs. Horn of Plenty 06/21/2012 09:03 PM CDT
Crap, well that explains why it was gathering dust in an alt's vault. It brings the sting back of breaking the real one I had the day breakage was turned on. At least I have a pretty solid backup in the crescent. Thanks!
Re: Fine Wall Shield vs. Horn of Plenty 06/22/2012 12:44 PM CDT
IMO, the HOP is the best shield out there right now. I like it better than even the real wall shield.

Madigan
Re: Fine Wall Shield vs. Horn of Plenty 06/22/2012 05:27 PM CDT
Horn of plenty is definitely better than an old fine wall shield. The only thing that would beat a horn of plenty is a forged damite/tyrium/vardite 40 volume crafted shield. Damite is better but not by all that much, but tyrium or vardite should be significantly better.