Crafted metal small shields vs tanned small shields question 06/11/2012 12:31 AM CDT

Good Evening,

I apologize for spamming this, I asked this over in the Warmie forum and no response so thought this might be a better place to try.

What is currently the best shield we as warmies should be looking for, in regards to armworn smalls? I'm currently using a storm-bull buckler but cannot use AEG with it, and am thinking I'd get more bang for my buck with a small crafted metal shield instead. Any advice?

Thank you!
Re: Crafted metal small shields vs tanned small shields question 06/11/2012 11:08 AM CDT
Tyrium/vardite small 16 volume shield would be best protecting, damite next best, then HC steel.
Re: Crafted metal small shields vs tanned small shields question 06/11/2012 02:48 PM CDT
Have you tried AEG yourself and found it to be worthwhile? From the anecdotal evidence I've heard, AEG isn't quite in a place that works well with crafted metal shields. All it seems to do is add needless weight/hinderance, since it doesn't increase the armworn cap.
Re: Crafted metal small shields vs tanned small shields question 06/11/2012 02:56 PM CDT

A long time ago I did but I don't recall if it was better or worst than a tanned shield/buckler or not. I'll give that a shot tonight. My complaint with AEG is that you have to remember to recast it or you'll find yourself completely missing a full defense. That would not be fun heh.
Re: Crafted metal small shields vs tanned small shields question 06/11/2012 02:59 PM CDT
Or the fact that Kodius already said explicitly that the shield sizes would each find their "best" products in different disciplines... Large will be metal, medium will be bone(Carving/Shaping) and lastly small will be leather... so... if you really want THE BEST in a small shield, you should NOT look at metal at all.

This plan makes sense because the "best" small shields are driven by Outfitting skill, Medium Shields by Engineering skill, and Large Shields by Smithing/Forging skill. It spreads the shield love across three of the crafting skills, much like armor in general, and to a lesser extent even weapons, are/will be.

There's a few threads over in the Lore category, including one asking about the best small shield that includes a database with all the new tailoring leather shield stats. I suggest you check it out.
Re: Crafted metal small shields vs tanned small shields question 06/11/2012 04:32 PM CDT
Ah, given that information, I'm confused as to the purpose behind the Aegis of Granite warrior mage spell. We're armor tert, so we can only armwear small shields. However, AoG only works on metal shields. I guess this is best suited for a thread in the warrior mage section though.
Re: Crafted metal small shields vs tanned small shields question 06/11/2012 05:07 PM CDT
>>Ah, given that information, I'm confused as to the purpose behind the Aegis of Granite warrior mage spell. We're armor tert, so we can only armwear small shields. However, AoG only works on metal shields. I guess this is best suited for a thread in the warrior mage section though.

In 3.0, AEG is changing to being a straight-up shield skill boost, as I recall? If this is true, your point is being addressed with the rewrite.
Re: Crafted metal small shields vs tanned small shields question 06/11/2012 05:51 PM CDT
sweet~