Hi. Questions. 05/14/2012 06:26 PM CDT
Can someone give me a rundown on shield appraisal caps, please.

I just started playing again after a bit of a break and am trying to catch up. It appears arm-worn small shields have now been nerfed. I bought a medium shield which seemed to have the same arm-worn protection cap as the small shields. Is this the case cap-wise, or did I just pick the wrong medium shield to look at?
Re: Hi. Questions. 05/14/2012 10:50 PM CDT

>It appears arm-worn small shields have now been nerfed.

It is appearance only, they're the same as before. The appraisal ranges changed so that it's easier to tell shields apart.

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:No_offense._-_05/07/2012_-_18:40
Re: Hi. Questions. 06/05/2012 06:55 PM CDT
I believe the caps for arm worn shields by size are:

small - good
medium - great
large - tremendous

however, there is also secondary caps depending on the shield type. For example:

target and ordinary shields (which are small shields) cap at moderate when arm worn. Whereas targes and small shields cap at good.

Hope this helps.
Re: Hi. Questions. 06/05/2012 07:47 PM CDT
<<Can someone give me a rundown on shield appraisal caps, please.>>
I'm only gathering data on small tanned shields, but here's what I've got.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al1XON4nlRrCdEF1UFNybWZNVnBydTlaeEx3VWtGYXc

Tachid smugly exclaims, "Die midget!"
Re: Hi. Questions. 06/06/2012 12:05 AM CDT
ah, there's the spreadsheet I was thinking of. Looks like fair for s.shields and targets and moderate for ordinary and targes.

My apologies for the mistake in the previous post.
Re: Hi. Questions. 06/07/2012 08:42 PM CDT
Using that great spreadsheet, Drenrik put together a beautiful ordinary warcat-pelt shield. Appraises just as the spreadsheet predicted. 26 stones, trivial hindrance, capped at moderate when armworn.

Loving it!
Re: Hi. Questions. 06/07/2012 08:48 PM CDT
Yeah it's a great spreadsheet, SO much work went in to that.
The crocodile targe leapt out at me, however. My mastercrafted croc targe didn't come out Great impact - I think heavy or very heavy. I don't think the held protection was that high either if I recall.
Re: Hi. Questions. 06/08/2012 01:46 AM CDT
Curious if data from before the App range tweak snuck into the chart. Fixed crocodile, I'll have to recheck bison, storm bull, muscular firecat and shalswar since they seem a bit high.

...stupid firecats...

Re: Hi. Questions. 06/08/2012 06:08 PM CDT
<<I'll have to recheck bison, storm bull, muscular firecat and shalswar since they seem a bit high.>>
Double checked and those four (as well as antelopes since I was there) matched up with the chart. If anyone else spots problems/inconsistancies, feel free to point them out.