New shield capping too low? 05/07/2012 02:35 PM CDT
So, as a paladin, I've tried on four different large shields, and they've all capped at "great" protection under the new system, while arm worn. My new jousting shield however, without DA, is high protection. With DA, it hits great, which I thought would be perfect. It stays at high however, buffed or not, when I arm wear it.

bug?
Re: New shield capping too low? 05/07/2012 02:57 PM CDT
If it is a forged jousting shield, it is a medium shield not large, and thats why its staying at high. One thing i'd like to see is DA allowing shields to go over the arm worn cap.
Re: New shield capping too low? 05/07/2012 03:06 PM CDT
Its one of the older ones (this is while arm worn)

You are certain that it imposes fair (5/15) maneuvering hindrance.

This shield is large in size.

Your experience with shields allows a better appraisal of the protection capabilities.

You are certain that the shield offers rather low (3/19) to high (11/19) protection.

You are certain that it could do:
no (0/25) puncture damage
no (0/25) slice damage
very great (12/25) impact damage

You are certain that the shield is inadequately (4/13) balanced and is reasonably (7/13) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the jousting shield is a bit safeguarded against damage, and is practically in mint condition (90-97%).

It appears that the jousting shield can be worn on the left arm.
You are certain that the jousting shield weighs exactly 100 stones.
You are certain that the jousting shield is worth exactly 40000 lirums.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.
R>
Re: New shield capping too low? 05/07/2012 03:17 PM CDT
>>DR-Kodius: Yes, all ranges changed with this release. No stats on the actual shields changed. So even if your shield is appraising as more hindering, it really isn't. The problem was hindrance ranges went up 3x what the most hindering shield allowed for, effectively ruining any kind of resolution you'd have on the appraise.

>>DR-Kodius: Yes you are just as effective as you were before. Arm worn caps did not change, but with the added resolution you may now glean more insight into how it works.

By the way, you are using outdated appraisal subs. You can download the latest version here: http://www.genieclient.com/bulletin/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=15

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: New shield capping too low? 05/07/2012 03:58 PM CDT

this has nothing to do with the shield changing stats. And the numbers are irrelavent. It should be great, not high. The problem is its high without DA arm worn, and high WITH DA arm worn, when the cap should be great.
Re: New shield capping too low? 05/08/2012 08:33 AM CDT
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the arm worn 'cap' is actually not an across the board thing. I'm under the impression that it's based at least in part on the shield's hand held protection and may be some percentage of that? Or something to that effect anyway.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: New shield capping too low? 05/08/2012 08:41 AM CDT
>>Katt

Yea, I believe that's how it works too. It's more obvious now that the app ranges have become more fine.
Re: New shield capping too low? 05/08/2012 10:24 AM CDT
which pattern looks like it is also plays a part.

Name Held-Partial Held-Full Worn-Partial Worn-Full
Shalswar Targes 4 - Very Poor 13 - Very Good 4 - Very Poor 10 - Moderate
Storm Bull Small Shield 4 - Very Poor 13 - Very Good 4 - Very Poor 8 - Fair

Some other targes with lower Held cap, but higher worn than the Storm Bull Small Shield

Name Held-Partial Held-Full Worn-Partial Worn-Full
Granite Garg 3 - Dismal 12 - Good 3 - Dismal 10 - Moderate
Azure Merrow 3 - Dismal 11 - Moderately Good 3 - Dismal 10 - Moderate
Silver Leurcro 3 - Dismal 10 - Moderate 3 - Dismal 10 - Moderate

Tachid smugly exclaims, "Die midget!"
Re: New shield capping too low? 05/08/2012 10:32 AM CDT
It might be template based too? Just a guess.
Re: New shield capping too low? 05/08/2012 10:39 AM CDT
So which skin/hide gives the lowest hinderance but with moderate arm-worn protection
Re: New shield capping too low? 05/08/2012 01:22 PM CDT
<<So which skin/hide gives the lowest hinderance but with moderate arm-worn protection>>
You'll want the Ordinary Shield pattern if you want to minimize Hindrance while hitting Moderate worn. My testing is far from complete so there's possibly better options, but here's what I've got.

Name Hindrance Held-Partial Held-Full Worn-Partial Worn-Full Construction Weight
Caracal 2 - Trivial 2 - Terrible 11 - Moderately Good 2 - Terrible 10 - Moderate 3 - Quite Fragile 24
Merrows, Crimson 2 - Trivial 2 - Terrible 11 - Moderately Good 2 - Terrible 10 - Moderate 4 - Rather Flimsy 25
Shark, Bull 2 - Trivial 2 - Terrible 12 - Good 2 - Terrible 10 - Moderate 1 - Extremely Weak 22
Sow, Razortusk 2 - Trivial 2 - Terrible 10 - Moderate 2 - Terrible 10 - Moderate 7 - Appreciably Susceptible 24

For the sake of comparison, here's a few of the targes

Name Hindrance Held-Partial Held-Full Worn-Partial Worn-Full Construction Weight
Caracal 3 - Light 3 - Dismal 12 - Good 3 - Dismal 10 - Moderate 3 - Quite Fragile 30
Merrows, Crimson 3 - Light 3 - Dismal 11 - Moderately Good 3 - Dismal 10 - Moderate 4 - Rather Flimsy 32
Sow, Razortusk 3 - Light 3 - Dismal 11 - Moderately Good 3 - Dismal 10 - Moderate 7 - Appreciably Susceptible 31

Tachid smugly exclaims, "Die midget!"