Combos 3.0 02/27/2013 09:47 PM CST
Mmmmm, this is tasty.

You reveal a moderate weakness in a Dragon Priest assassin's defense.
Armor reduction can be inflicted upon the enemy by landing a draw, a lunge, a jab and a thrust.
Roundtime: 2 sec.

x10

> anal first assassin
Your analysis reveals a massive opening already being exploited in a Dragon Priest assassin's defenses.
Armor reduction can be inflicted by landing a draw, a lunge, a jab and a thrust.

=

< You thrust a T'Kashi mirror blade at a Dragon Priest assassin. A Dragon Priest assassin attempts to evade.
The blade lands a strong (7/23) hit to the assassin's right arm.
Utilizing flawless tactics you outmaneuver the assassin and expose weaknesses in its armor.
[You're winded, nimbly balanced with opponent in strong position.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]

I absolutely <3 this system! Thanks Kodius!

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Combos 3.0 02/27/2013 09:51 PM CST
>>1). Critters-renumbering so you hit the wrong one

Yeah, I did encounter some weirdness with this bit. I thought if we were facing the first, second, third or fourth of whatever creature, that it would never change and we would never have to switch? Here's a log of what happened below which I thought was weird.

In the log below, analyze first assassin worked, and then it didn't work and said I was too far, and then it worked again when I waited for a bit. I'm not really sure what happened.

> ass
You assess your combat situation...

You (solidly balanced) are facing a Dragon Priest assassin (1) at melee range.
A Dragon Priest assassin (1: adeptly balanced) is facing you at melee range.
A Dragon Priest assassin (2: solidly balanced) is behind you at missile range.
A Dragon Priest assassin (3: nimbly balanced) is behind you at melee range.
A Dragon Priest assassin (4: nimbly balanced) is flanking you at melee range.

(You are also defending against a Dragon Priest assassin.)

>
* A Dragon Priest assassin slices wide at you. You dodge.
[You're winded, solidly balanced with opponent in strong position.]
>
* A Dragon Priest assassin slices wide at you. You block with a forearm-sized aegis crafted with metal-edged scales.
[You're winded, solidly balanced with opponent in good position.]
>
* A Dragon Priest assassin fires a crossbow bolt at you. You dodge.
The crossbow bolt hits a wall and falls to the floor!
[You're winded, solidly balanced with no advantage.]

>
The Dragon Priest assassin moves into a position to dodge.
> anal first ass

>
You reveal a moderate weakness in a Dragon Priest assassin's defense.
Armor reduction can be inflicted upon the enemy by landing a draw, a lunge, a jab and a thrust.
R>
Out of the corner of your eye, you notice a Dragon Priest assassin trying to sneak southeast.
You notice a Dragon Priest assassin trying to edge quietly past you.

>
The Dragon Priest assassin moves into a position to parry.
>
The Dragon Priest assassin moves into a position to parry.
>
* A Dragon Priest assassin feints high at you. You block solidly with a forearm-sized aegis crafted with metal-edged scales.
[You're winded, solidly balanced with opponent dominating.]
> anal first ass
You must be closer to use tactical abilities on your opponent.
>
You shift with the force of the gusting storm of sound, leaning into the wind at just the right moment.
Your voice strengthens as you reach the chorus, deepening and losing the abrasive qualities normally inherent in the performance of the Desert's Maelstrom. For a few moments you are able to chant the words of this sibilant song clearly...

"Deepening shadows, cover their eyes,
Borne by sands, older than time,
Hinder their steps, irritate and blind,
Meet the Velaka, enemies mine."

It isn't until you are finished that you realize you were chanting in another language.
The Dragon Priest assassin spins around quickly, appearing to lose track of its surroundings in the swirling miasma of sound.
The Dragon Priest assassin spins around quickly, appearing to lose track of its surroundings in the swirling miasma of sound.
>
* A Dragon Priest assassin feints high at you. You block solidly with a forearm-sized aegis crafted with metal-edged scales.
[You're winded, nimbly balanced with opponent in good position.]
>
* A Dragon Priest assassin feints low at you. You block solidly with a forearm-sized aegis crafted with metal-edged scales.
[You're winded, nimbly balanced and opponent has slight advantage.]
>
* A Dragon Priest assassin slices wide at you. You block with a forearm-sized aegis crafted with metal-edged scales.
[You're winded, solidly balanced with opponent dominating.]
>
>
* A Dragon Priest assassin slices wide at you. You dodge.
>
* A Dragon Priest assassin fires a crossbow bolt at you. You dodge.
The crossbow bolt hits a wall and falls to the floor!

>
* A Dragon Priest assassin slices a silver q'zhalata dagger at you. You block with a forearm-sized aegis crafted with metal-edged scales.
[You're winded, solidly balanced with opponent in superior position.]
> ass
You assess your combat situation...

You (solidly balanced) are facing a Dragon Priest assassin (1) at melee range.
A Dragon Priest assassin (1: adeptly balanced) is facing you at melee range.
A Dragon Priest assassin (2: solidly balanced) is behind you at missile range.
A Dragon Priest assassin (3: solidly balanced) is behind you at melee range.
A Dragon Priest assassin (4: nimbly balanced) is flanking you at melee range.

(You are also defending against a Dragon Priest assassin.)

>
* A Dragon Priest assassin slices a silver q'zhalata dagger at you. You dodge.
>
* A Dragon Priest assassin slices a silver q'zhalata dagger at you. You dodge.
[You're winded, solidly balanced and have slight advantage.]
>
* A Dragon Priest assassin chops a silver q'zhalata dagger at you. You dodge.
[You're winded, solidly balanced with opponent in excellent position.]
> anal first ass

Your analysis reveals a good opening already being exploited in a Dragon Priest assassin's defenses.
Armor reduction can be inflicted by landing a draw, a lunge, a jab and a thrust.

~ Leilond
Re: Combos 3.0 02/27/2013 09:52 PM CST
It came up in another thread, but I believe stealth critters are still screwing up the numbering

Chatter[Sava] well I bled all night and didn't become diseased
Chatter[Tincan] That's what she said?
Re: Combos 3.0 02/27/2013 09:55 PM CST
> The Dragon Priest__assassin spins around quickly, appearing to lose track of its surroundings in the swirling miasma of sound.

That was the first one to message. Looks like the stealthed assassin got added as number 1.
Re: Combos 3.0 02/27/2013 10:34 PM CST
>>It came up in another thread, but I believe stealth critters are still screwing up the numbering

Just to be clear, while it did come in the course of discussion, my original post was regarding sand sprites. It's not just stealth. I discovered it thanks to the new combo system we were testing in Plat. Discussion there revealed that there are a handful of other critters that have numbering issues also. Plenty of critters seem to be playing nice, though, so I'm not sure what's up.

~The Prydaen~
Re: Combos 3.0 02/27/2013 10:37 PM CST
Once the combo is complete, reanalyzing the critter doesn't seem to indicate what combo is in effect on the critter.
Re: Combos 3.0 02/27/2013 11:25 PM CST
Yeah, that'll have to come in a later expansion. I'd like for folks to see all debuffs on an enemy. Still, that ends up becoming kind of scrolly...

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Combos 3.0 02/27/2013 11:46 PM CST

First thing I noticed was that it kept trying to have the increased chance to stun on cursed creatures... which can't be stunned. That's a little disheartening.
Re: Combos 3.0 02/27/2013 11:47 PM CST
This is awesome fun, thank you, Kodius. I think its ultimate neatness will be realized when parsing is hashed out via the critter issues. It might require a verb change or something, but it would be really, really big to have it default to the creature you're facing. If I'm stupid and just missing how to do that, please let me know anyone.
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 12:14 AM CST
Any chance the success points can be lowered? I can't seem to use this at level (lore tert). Or should I assume that Expertise will be => Analyze, and just wait for that?

I'm actually probably under hunting a bit by normal combat stats, in Apes, but my Tactics is only 363. I'm getting a "You fail to find any holes in the ape's defenses." message every time I attempt this.

Thanks,
Railz
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 12:46 AM CST
Ahh yes, someone mentioned that in Plat. I'll try to remove the debuff on unavailable targets this weekend.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 12:55 AM CST
From another thread on this

1) Id love if analyze would allow us to default to what we are facing, like analyze foe or something. When dancing its a pain to manage which target im facing and attack that one specifically.

2) Some of the commands are weird based off the weapon. I get slice, chop and bash with my Lance...
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 12:58 AM CST
Shouldn't a failed analyze give roundtime? I'm not getting any.
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 01:35 AM CST

Would it be possible for each hit successful hit in a combo to extend the timer? I use some slower weapons 8-9 seconds and keep having the timer run out before I get to the last move.
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 01:40 AM CST
You can do a move, then analyze to reset the timer, then do the next move, then analyze, etc. Analyzing doesn't make you lose your progress on the combo; as far as I can tell, nothing makes you lose your progress except the timer running out.
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 02:49 AM CST
>>as far as I can tell, nothing makes you lose your progress except the timer running out

If you miss and then do a different move other than the move you just missed (or otherwise use a move not next in the combo), it will kill your progress and you'll have to start over.

~The Prydaen~
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 09:27 AM CST
Would it be possible to change the verb to EVALUATE and have it function similar to Tactics maneuvers, in that just typing the command will target the opponent you're facing but will not make you advance towards the target?

~ Leilond
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 11:14 AM CST
>>Would it be possible to change the verb to EVALUATE and have it function similar to Tactics maneuvers, in that just typing the command will target the opponent you're facing but will not make you advance towards the target?

Kodius was saying in another thread that if it targeted the critter you were facing then it would make the verb auto-engage, and he didn't want that. So right now there is system limits on making it target the critter you are facing without causing other problems.
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 12:01 PM CST
Leverage the same logic as Target, that way it doesnt auto engage you but will default to what you are facing.

For me this is a huge usability issue. When I fight 3-4 mobs, it becomes a bit of a pain to have to juggle this manually.
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 12:11 PM CST
>>Kodius was saying in another thread that if it targeted the critter you were facing then it would make the verb auto-engage...

Tactics maneuvers don't auto-engage I don't think? Can't you WEAVE against a target at pole range and it won't auto-engage you? Or maybe I'm mis-understanding.

~ Leilond
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 12:20 PM CST
They don't but I'm just going from what he said about Analyze working on only the critter you are facing. He has a better understanding of how things work behind the scenes than I.
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 01:07 PM CST
>I'm getting a "You fail to find any holes in the ape's defenses." message every time I attempt this.

I was a little disturbed to find that I get this message regularly on rats with 258 Tactics. My sample size is small, but three fails out of fifteen attempts is a little ridiculous versus rats.

>increase the potency of the analyze (10 levels exist)

Has anyone gotten all the levels of exploits? Versus rats, I seemed to start at moderate, increase to good, then substantial, then great, then massive.

>you or another player may re-analyze

Yay benefit for group hunting!

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 01:49 PM CST

Maybe I'm missing something, but when you analyze, it tells you what blows must be landed in order to perform the combo; if group hunting, and someone lands a non combo move on the critter, will it reset the chain? This seems hard to coordinate on a critter.

If this isn't the case, can the completed moves in the stack be removed from the analyze report?
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 02:11 PM CST
Landing the wrong blow will not reset or damage the combo.

Depending on how well the original analyze succeeds, you may begin at level 3 or more. Subsequent analyzes can advance it more than 1 level of potency IIRC.

I would prefer not to use a different verb for various reasons, but I will consider what options we have. Eventually we will have to support much more complicated scenarios such as ANALYZE FIFTH RABID OGRE FOR ACHILLES STRIKE... and it just becomes a mess.

Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 02:23 PM CST

Would it be possible to get already applied attacks in the stack removed from the analyze report then, to make group tactics a little easier to track?
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 02:31 PM CST
>>Landing the wrong blow will not reset or damage the combo.

I really like this a ton.

So does this mean if the combo required is FEINT, LUNGE, SLICE, DRAW, that the following would trigger the combo effects? ANALYZE GOBLIN, FEINT, DRAW, DRAW, JAB, LUNGE, ANALYZE GOBLIN, SLICE, ANALYZE GOBLIN, JAB, JAB, DRAW

Basically three levels of analyze to extend the combo time, with a whole bunch of additional attacks thrown inbetween?

~ Leilond
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 03:30 PM CST
Love the system. Looking for ways to make it more useful in hunting when you have multiple foes on you.

Request: After you analyze a creature successfully, the attack verb normal chain is altered to follow the combo. If this is to complicated, maybe a new verb or syntax (Attack <Strategy>).

Reason: Combat has lots of scroll, I'll analyze and with 4 monsters, its off screen in a few seconds and with larger rt weapons, and longer combos I can just see this as a quality of life thing. I feel if you are already analyzing something you are consciously making a decision to use that combo in lieu of a standard built in 'attack' combo, so forcing the exact input seems more chore than charity.

Secondary Suggestion based on the above: Maybe when you analyze a foe, you can attempt to contest a general contest not based on an outcome (like armor, balance, etc) and get a result on all three (which can vary). The player then determines what to do by typing something like:

attack strategy armor
attack strategy balance

After a successful combo, use the diminishing returns code that is live to reduce the impact of the same strategy being used against a target within the same time period. I.E you will get reduced results trying to throw off an enemies balance repeatedly (half effect the second time in a minute, and 1/4 effect for the third, no effect after that till a full 60 seconds transpires since the first affect).
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 03:33 PM CST
<<Request: After you analyze a creature successfully, the attack verb normal chain is altered to follow the combo.>>

That would be incredibly awesome, especially if there was an easy way to tie Analyze to the foe you're facing. Maybe Analyze Facing?
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 03:43 PM CST
An Analyze Wounds command would be cool at some point as well, which would list the 1-3 most damaged parts of the opponent, to easily identify good targets for called shots.
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 04:11 PM CST
Selfish Paladin Request

Can Analyze treat SMITE as a replacement to Slice/Bash/Thrust depending on the weapon that is being used(?).
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 04:44 PM CST
> Would it be possible to get already applied attacks in the stack removed from the analyze report then, to make group tactics a little easier to track?

They are.

Your analysis reveals a substantial opening already being exploited in an asaren celpeze's defenses.
Balance reduction can be inflicted by landing an elbow, a punch, an elbow and a kick.

>elbow
< With the speed and temerity of a swooping falcon, you elbow your armor-clad elbow at an asaren celpeze. An asaren celpeze fails to dodge, avoiding only some of the blow. The elbow lands a good strike (3/22) to the celpeze's chest.
[You're nimbly balanced and have slight advantage.]
[Roundtime 2 sec.]

>anal celp
Your analysis reveals a great opening already being exploited in an asaren celpeze's defenses.
Balance reduction can be inflicted by landing a punch, an elbow and a kick.
Roundtime: 1 sec.
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 05:20 PM CST
Or if everyone analyze them, they could all just use ATTACK STRATEGY with my idea and automatically perform the next attack in order with my idea and not have to keep reanalyzing and running into one another trying to complete a tactic ^_^

It would make it so much more convenient in solo and group play!

Example:

Solo Play
Syntax:
Analyze <foe or enemy name> <strategy type>
Can be completed utilizing the commands or utilizing Attack <Strategy> to automatically cycle through the commands. If no current Strategy is available, Attack Strategy either does not function(with a message like "There is no active strategy!") or defaults to attack.

Group Play
Syntax:
Analyze <foe or enemy name> <strategy type> <Group>.
This applies to all members of the group. Leaving the group will end the Analyze effect.
New analyzes overwrite old ones and are player specific. Thus if a party member performs an analyze (group tactic) and a player then uses a personal analysis, they will use the later.

That means that group members that are not in sync can mess with one another, but thats where proper team work would come into play.
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 07:41 PM CST
>>Reason: Combat has lots of scroll, I'll analyze and with 4 monsters, its off screen in a few seconds and with larger rt weapons, and longer combos I can just see this as a quality of life thing. I feel if you are already analyzing something you are consciously making a decision to use that combo in lieu of a standard built in 'attack' combo, so forcing the exact input seems more chore than charity.

Translation: I have no clue how to/how hard it is to code this into a script, so I want the attack verb do it so I can.

Abison/Rystien
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 09:24 PM CST
<<Please let me know if you have any questions or ideas for future expansion!>>

On the "ideas for future expansion" front: tactical combos. That is, combos that use only tactical maneuvers to inflict a debuff on the target's offensive capabilities. In particular,

-Reduced accuracy (you've got them really confused about how you're positioning yourself)
-Increased roundtimes and fatigue for attacking (you're maneuvering such that they have to exert a lot of energy to get to you)
-Chance to fall down when attacking (you're using the environment to trip them up)
-When engaged by multiple opponents, chance to cause the target to bump into another attacker when trying to hit you, effectively causing that attack to not take place (you're keeping the other attackers between you and the target of the combo)

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 09:57 PM CST
It is mechanically impossble to make ATTACK follow the combo chain. It is also something I would never consider because it would disrupt game balance. I might as well just make every 5th attack do some random debuff :/

Re: Combos 3.0 02/28/2013 10:13 PM CST
>>Translation: I have no clue how to/how hard it is to code this into a script, so I want the attack verb do it so I can.

Not at all, I use genie and I'm pretty good at manipulating genie hunter. I have the parsing most of the way completed for my own use since I figure this will be the main way I will be training endurance when thats out. Cant get it to work when there are 4 commands as opposed to 3, but I think I might know how to fix it.

My work around for the moment has been to do a loop that analyzes, does a match on the combat commands (which flips on the first thing it sees) and then perform that command, then repeat. If I cant get the former to work, I will use this as part of an Endurance training portion of my script.

That said i think making things easier for players (especially new ones) is awesome. With scroll with 4 mobs on me and combat messaging for players, I just think its a bit much to clutch read the 4 commands you need to do.