Open roll removal. 07/01/2010 04:35 AM CDT
* Moving as one fluid extension of power while just as its opponent hesitates unexpectedly, an asaren celpeze claws at you. You barely block with a midnight black buckler. The talons lands an extremely heavy hit (10/23) that tears flesh and cartilage as the right leg is ripped clean below the knee (Better order that peg leg!).

I take it this was not what you were referring to removing.
Re: Open roll removal. 07/01/2010 04:50 AM CDT
Heyo!

No, that's not the one I was referring to. That is just a normal random roll that happened to hit near the maximum for the random (or more likely, a very good one combined with a very bad one). The range of the current random is now within the global caps, meaning that by itself it doesn't do anything you couldn't match more consistently (in terms of damage, not messaging) with a spell or ability that increases your skill and/or damage -- such as the Rage of Clans enchante. Hits of the nature you posted are more commonly the result of the attacker rolling very well, and the defender rolling very badly, not just a good roll or bad roll by itself.

Open rolls are something else entirely different. An open roll involves continually rerolling and adding the rolls as long as certain conditions are met. For example, roll a six-sided die. If you roll a 5 or 6, roll again and add it to the first roll. As long as you keep rolling 5s or 6s, you keep adding until you finally roll something else. The end result? You can get 2, 3, 4 or even more times the "normal" maximum value.

The latter is what was removed.

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams
Re: Open roll removal. 07/01/2010 05:10 AM CDT
Alright, just making sure. Thanks.