Quarterstaff penalizes defenses too much 07/10/2020 10:24 PM CDT
I've always suspected there was a penalty when using a quarterstaff (haven't experimented with a nightstick because i havent' noticed the same problem).
For 30 minutes I attacked a critter with 2hb, and then another 30 with a 2he, since we know from the wiki that:
"Like all twohanded weapons, they can be used with armworn shields, but with a penalty to both the shield and the sword."

After nearly an hour of swinging these defense penalizing weapons (at split stance between evasion, parry, and shield) I hadn't taken more than a few light hits.

Whip out the quarterstaff. And within 5 minutes I'm beaten up, bleeding, and at 70% vitality. Experiment over.

I've noticed this often, anyone else notice it with their quarterstaff? Honestly you'd think a quarterstaff would be a BONUS to defenses not leave you so prone.
Also, my staff is relatively balanced:
You are certain that the quarterstaff is very well (10/17) balanced and is reasonably (7/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the ironwood quarterstaff is extremely resistant to damage (15/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

The ironwood quarterstaff is made with metal.
You are certain that the ironwood quarterstaff weighs exactly 50 stones.

Anyone else notice this?
Re: Quarterstaff penalizes defenses too much 07/11/2020 12:14 AM CDT
My questions would be 1) how many points are you assigning to each defense skill, and 2) do you have equal ranks in all 3 of those weapons?
Re: Quarterstaff penalizes defenses too much 07/11/2020 03:14 AM CDT
I play a staff primary character and have used a quarterstaff for years without any noticeable issue. It has less balance than yours and compares well to her 3 other melee weapons (Brawling, LE, and Polearms), though she has more ranks in Staves.

In addition to CUTHALION's questions:

3) Were you at the same burden with all three weapons?

4) Were you at the same wound level with all three weapons?

5) Were you engaged to the same number of creatures with all three weapons?

6) Did any of your buffs fall off by the time you got to the QS?

- Navesi

The First Land Herald -- Zoluren's newspaper. https://elanthipedia.play.net/The_First_Land_Herald
Re: Quarterstaff penalizes defenses too much 07/11/2020 12:47 PM CDT
Quick question. If you did all these tests back to back, was your armor getting damaged? That can hinder you quite a bit. Someone else brought up the burden issue as well from any loot you got. I've never had this issue using QS and I prefer the 2H ones. I love seeing them big crits.
Re: Quarterstaff penalizes defenses too much 07/12/2020 07:48 PM CDT
I have not particularly noticed this. I was wondering, though, do you have lower ranks in quarterstaves than your other weapons? Because that can definitely cause you to parry with a lower success rate. When I add new weapons to my characters in a higher hunting area I always notice this.

- Saragos