Quarterstaff viability 01/24/2014 11:44 AM CST
Good morning,

I picked up a steel quarterstaff yesterday and like it a lot except for its ridiculous rt's. Just out of curiosity why am I seeing 6 sec feints and jabs with a forged steel quarterstaff (I think it's like 45 stones), whereas I'm seeing 3 sec jabs and feints with my forged war mattock and bastie which I think are around 30 stones? Seems a bit harsh to me.

Relavent data: 28 str and stam, 25 agil.

I seriously hope these rts get reasonable with better stats...

Also, how do they work out at higher levels?

Thank you.
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/24/2014 11:51 AM CST
Nightstick fient is 1 second for me. I don't have a quarterstaff to test at the moment but I do have a haralun pike staff which is the heaviest forgeable QS you can get (82 stones) and that is giving me 2 second feints.

Codiax.
Vote: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/24/2014 12:33 PM CST
Awesome Codiax! So essentially I can look fwd to it getting much better as I increase str and agil. That's what I was hoping for! I love the idea of using a quarterstaff as a main weapon, kinda burnt out on edges and regular blunts.

Thank you for such a quick response to.
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/24/2014 12:35 PM CST
You might want to weigh your weapons just to see that your weights are further off than you think.

I'd recommend buying a steel nightstick instead of the QS, at least for a while. It's lighter and fits in containers. If you want to use a QS for RP reasons (imagine that novelty in a RPG...), consider the nightstick a training weapon till you get skilled enough to make use of a big staff.
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/24/2014 12:45 PM CST
Yeah I love the idea of using a quarterstaff, but this rt is to much. I'll check out a nightstick as you recommend, thx.
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/24/2014 12:53 PM CST
You could always get a lighter quarterstaff, too. The default steel weight is 5 stone per volume, but you can easily get something around 35-40 stones if you have a forger put some oravir in that steel.

Will the stats be as awesome? No. But, at the same time, they won't be worse than a nightstick.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/24/2014 01:05 PM CST
Also, if you want to be light and still be pole-ranged, the cane template can weigh less than 30 stones and has quite high balance.
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/24/2014 01:31 PM CST
Very cool, but the idea of going out and fighting vicious beasts and whatnot with a cane is a bit silly doesn't it? Lol.
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/24/2014 01:44 PM CST
Depends on your conception of a cane, actually. It's not 'that thing my grandpa carries' in a weaponized sense (well, sometimes is it actually), but a cane as a weapon is simply another name for a short staff weapon.
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/24/2014 01:49 PM CST
Ok well when you call it a short staff, I can visualize that much better than a cane, although yes they'd be comparable. Alright I'm over the"cane" name now hahaha. Thank you for putting it in perspective for me. Still not awake here yet.
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/24/2014 02:23 PM CST
>>Yeah I love the idea of using a quarterstaff, but this rt is to much. I'll check out a nightstick as you recommend, thx.

I use quarterstaff as my main weapon, rest assured it is highly viable once you get your stats up a bit.

This is what a good forged QS is like nowadays:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lLXaRtc1f4I#t=196
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/24/2014 02:38 PM CST
Hahaha awesome! I want.
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/24/2014 04:05 PM CST
Cane/SS are probably best represented by Escrima (notably the Filipino martial art using them as well). I can't find a nifty fight scene (this post brought to you by the Matrix, sorry), but you can check youtube etc. for some fighting.
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/24/2014 04:07 PM CST
Two decent fighting cane and staff examples - think about a police baton for a "cane" and Gandalf's huge staff as a "staff". Either of those are extremely dangerous if you whack someone with them.
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/24/2014 04:33 PM CST
>think about a police baton for a "cane"

I would call that a nightstick. The cane template is still pole ranged and needs a weapon strap. I would think it should be about 5 or 6 feet long; what I would call a walking stick. It's only 1 volume bigger than a nightstick, so I would think it would be long and thin rather than short and stocky.
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/24/2014 04:56 PM CST
Uhm... if you consider a cane or walking stick 5 or 6 feet long then how big are you thinking a quarterstaff is? I thought a staff would be about 6 ft while a cane would be more like 3 ft.
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/24/2014 05:20 PM CST
Get a miniature version!

>You tap a miniature melanic quarterstaff inlaid along the length with scorched kertig that you are wearing.

QS is the best!

Mmmmm...pie

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/24/2014 05:26 PM CST

Very nice.
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/24/2014 05:53 PM CST
A quarterstaff is apparently generally 6-9 feet in length, and alternately known as a 'short staff'; the 'long staff' apparently is a pike without a tip, and is 12+ feet long (...seriously what could you do with that besides fight cavalry?).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterstaff

I had always heard that a QS was going to be taller than a person. A cane I have a hard time envisioning as anything more than 3-4 feet in length, regardless of whether it is used for walking or not.
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/24/2014 09:50 PM CST
>if you consider a cane or walking stick 5 or 6 feet long then how big are you thinking a quarterstaff is?

Wikipedia has an interesting and fairly short article on quarterstaff: I would say that what DR calls canes would be the 6 ft variety and full quarterstaves could be around 7 or 9 ft. I think 3 ft would just be too short to be pole ranged, even melee short staves might be longer than that because of the difference between using a staff and a blunt weapon.

>a cane would be more like 3 ft.

That's more along the lines of a walking aide sold at a corner store than a weapon. If you were going to hike up a mountain, a 6 ft cane would be more useful; which is what I would call a walking stick.
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/25/2014 07:11 AM CST
I use a metal bread for QS.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/25/2014 02:28 PM CST
Quarter staff is fun, I use it as my secondary weapon. I have several varieties from the old heavy impact carved canes to my current cambrinth one. With the addition of the skill combination with Short Staff the diversity of the types of weapons you can pick up increased a lot. I find it a very fun weapon class to train.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/25/2014 09:33 PM CST
If you want to get a forged quarterstaff/cane/nightstick.. see me in game - Nazaruss
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/27/2014 09:10 AM CST
The lightest "Quarterstaff" you can get is a glaes quarterstaff at 30 stones. It's a very awesome weapon, great impact and superbly balanced. It's one of the highest balanced weapons in the game. It will set you back close to 1k plat kronar. Sometimes you can find them for resale for cheaper though.

Codiax.
Vote: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Quarterstaff viability 01/27/2014 05:52 PM CST
or an old cane that was like 14 stones -

I like the capstan bar from Ghost Ship - BC impact, pole range, and like 50 stones