staves 3.0 11/16/2012 11:52 AM CST
Kodius, you mentioned in a different thread that min roundtimes for weapons are going up across the board. Does this include short staff weapons, too? I was kind of hoping that they might start moving a little faster actually.

Maybe it's just me, but it feels like with the damage output they have they should move at about the same speed as an ME or MB weapon. Right now it seems like they are pretty much the same speed as a quarterstaff, despite those being heavier and two handed. Maybe the speed will train down faster as I gain in strength and skill, but for now they just seem so slow.
Re: staves 3.0 11/16/2012 08:54 PM CST
Short staves appear to have the same RT as MB/ME weapons from my testing. They do a bit less damage, but have higher power/balance to compensate. Well, forged nightsticks at least. Woodcarving should see the introduction of more short staff type weapons with better stats.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: staves 3.0 11/17/2012 12:38 PM CST
Thanks for the response, Kodius. You are a rockstar

Now finish 3.0 so you can do the rest of the crafting stuff!

:)
Re: staves 3.0 11/25/2012 01:36 PM CST
Anyone know the min RT range for QS in 3.0 now? I was getting 8-9RT with a 71 stone Haralun QS and quickly fatigued in 3.0 whereas 6RT and stamina back to full before each swing in 2.0. Curious what others are seeing
Re: staves 3.0 11/25/2012 01:45 PM CST
Well, QSTAFF is just a staff skill now, so you can get really lightweight nightsticks, etc...

Player of Ryken
---
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." ~ Doug Larson

AIM - RykenDR
Re: staves 3.0 11/25/2012 11:03 PM CST
Ran into sand sprites to do some testing so mileage may vary on at rank critters. Was getting large variance in damage (could tell some maneuvers were better w/ blunt type damage and piercing)

54 agility, 50 strength, ~300 ranks in staves and polearms, 340 in the MB

QS:
50 stones, well / dcently

attack 3
thrust 4
lunge 5
slice 4
chop 5
sweep 5
feint 2
jab 2
draw 3
slam 4
pummel 4
swing 4
bash 5

This compares with my ranseur, at 75 stones and reasonably/reasonably

attack 4
thrust 5
lunge 7
slice 5
chop 6
sweep 6
feint 3
jab 3
draw 4
slam 7 (missed) - 5 (hit)
pummel 5
swing 5
bash 6

Lastly, my war hammer (60 stones, inadequately/well)

attack 3
thrust 3
lunge 4
slice 3
chop 4
sweep 4
feint 1
jab 1
draw 2
slam 3
pummel 3
swing 3
bash 4

The QS seems to fill a nice niche between the polearms and mid-weight weapons (can do more testing later on the HE end), at least when fighting below rank mobs. There does seem to be a +2 second RT on attacks that missed (had a few whiff against sprites, a new novelty).

DR Armorcrafting 3.0:
http://tinyurl.com/drarmor3

DR Blacksmithing Tools 3.0:
http://www.tinyurl.com/DRBSTools3

DR Crafting Calc:
http://tinyurl.com/DRCraftCalc
Re: staves 3.0 11/26/2012 08:53 AM CST
Also, keep in mind carving's not out yet. I wouldn't be surprised if staves became much more uber with wood carving templates and rare woods.
Re: staves 3.0 11/26/2012 09:47 AM CST
>>I wouldn't be surprised if staves became much more uber with wood carving templates and rare woods.

Staves are pretty nice as it is already.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: staves 3.0 12/18/2012 10:34 AM CST
>>You are certain that the staff is excellently balanced

Yet parrying with a QS is damn near suicide...
Re: staves 3.0 12/18/2012 12:04 PM CST
That should not be the case in 3.0.... weapon size has no bearing on parry chance.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes