Quarterstaff and Fletching 11/18/2011 05:53 PM CST

First I want to say I am very pleased with the new versions of Quarterstaff that are being forged. I have both a blunt and a pikestaff version and both are remarkably better than anything I've previously seen including the old carved canes. Great work.

But I am curious if there will be a way to Fletch or Carve a quarterstaff in the future from wood? Historically the main method to produce all kinds of staves was fletching and carving. It would seem likely that the same system used to make stick bows could also be used for making a quarterstaff of short staff.

In reality as in dreams, nothing is quite as it seems.
Re: Quarterstaff and Fletching 11/18/2011 10:30 PM CST
This had made me curious, as well.
Fantasy RPG allows certain things reality did not account for, twelve foot tall sentient races with giant muscles being one of them, so one has to wonder what use a wooden staff has over a high-carbon steel one. I hope it's balance. The new metal QS's and SS's are awesome already. I hope there is a reason to fashion wood/stone/bone staffs.
Re: Quarterstaff and Fletching 11/19/2011 07:02 AM CST
>>But I am curious if there will be a way to Fletch or Carve a quarterstaff in the future from wood? Historically the main method to produce all kinds of staves was fletching and carving. It would seem likely that the same system used to make stick bows could also be used for making a quarterstaff of short staff.

If I had to take a wild guess the difference would be purely style and maybe the extra tidbits you can tack on(like balancing a metal quaterstaff).

Also in many cases the staves in real life were made with metal on the tips. The reason for most staves being made from wood and not metal is because you could disguise them as a walking stick, rather than a martial weapon.
As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: Quarterstaff and Fletching 11/19/2011 07:37 AM CST
I am willing to bet that forged quarterstaves will always weigh more and thus be better choices than their wooden counterparts.
Re: Quarterstaff and Fletching 11/19/2011 07:51 AM CST
Wood weapons will probably allow more powerful enchantments.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Quarterstaff and Fletching 11/19/2011 07:56 AM CST
<<Wood weapons will probably allow more powerful enchantments.

Yeah, assuming someone isn't walking around with a tyrium quarterstaff that's probably true.
Re: Quarterstaff and Fletching 11/19/2011 09:14 AM CST
>>Yeah, assuming someone isn't walking around with a tyrium quarterstaff that's probably true.

Are you saying Tyrium is going to be able to hold just as powerful/more powerful enchantments? I haven't read the enchantment folder at all....

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Quarterstaff and Fletching 11/19/2011 09:22 AM CST
<<Are you saying Tyrium is going to be able to hold just as powerful/more powerful enchantments? I haven't read the enchantment folder at all....

Can't be certain on the details, but yes, tyrium is going to be more receptive to enchantment than other kinds of metals use in armor and weaponsmithing. Wood may still be better, but it's hard to say if "better" will end up being "enough" to convince people to choose silverwood over tyrium.
Re: Quarterstaff and Fletching 11/19/2011 09:59 AM CST
>Can't be certain on the details, but yes, tyrium is going to be more receptive to enchantment than other kinds of metals use in armor and weaponsmithing.

While tyrium MIGHT be the exception, this is in direct contradiction of the general rule we've been given.

If a material makes good weapons by itself, it will likely be poorly receptive to enchantment.

I think you're thinking of orichalcum, which has been hinted at being the premier enchanting material.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Quarterstaff and Fletching 11/19/2011 10:28 AM CST
>>If a material makes good weapons by itself, it will likely be poorly receptive to enchantment.

I for one welcome our new darkstone overlords.
Malkien
Re: Quarterstaff and Fletching 11/19/2011 10:43 AM CST

>>Can't be certain on the details, but yes, tyrium is going to be more receptive to enchantment than other kinds of metals use in armor and weaponsmithing.

>While tyrium MIGHT be the exception, this is in direct contradiction of the general rule we've been given.

>If a material makes good weapons by itself, it will likely be poorly receptive to enchantment.

>I think you're thinking of orichalcum, which has been hinted at being the premier enchanting material.

This is what I've heard from red-names as well, further what has been implied is that:

Unique metals will be in general exceptions/exempt from certain things, however even in this I doubt Tyrium will be upper level enchanting material, it MAY (and this is not anything directly stated by a red-name just something I may have read into their comments, and general ideas I've seen from them) be better then most regular, not unique, nor rare material.

As Raist stated
>If a material makes good weapons by itself, it will likely be poorly receptive to enchantment.

Material that make sharp, pointy, extremely resistant, tough, durable things (either weapons or armors) will probably be lacking in the ability to sustain magic, being able to work with magic... [this next part may be a stretch] it may also be poor at being a warding agent against magic (my belief here is that warding will be 'magical/supernatural' in manner and thus it needs to be 'good' at 'magic' to fight other magic).
Re: Quarterstaff and Fletching 11/19/2011 12:07 PM CST
<<While tyrium MIGHT be the exception, this is in direct contradiction of the general rule we've been given.

<<If a material makes good weapons by itself, it will likely be poorly receptive to enchantment.

<<I think you're thinking of orichalcum, which has been hinted at being the premier enchanting material.

Not going to argue this, I have very good reason to believe tyrium will be among the most receptive metals for enchantment, although orichalcum is going to be a good enchanting target as well.
Re: Quarterstaff and Fletching 11/20/2011 06:27 PM CST
>>I have very good reason to believe tyrium will be among the most receptive metals for enchantment, although orichalcum is going to be a good enchanting target as well.

Just curious, but what reason?

It's my understanding that orichalcum is the enchantment version of tyrium, so I'm not sure why you think tyrium will be comparable to orichalcum.

That said, we don't know if all enchantments require the same "things" in materials. So maybe tyrium will do a good enough job of holding something like "fire damage" while orichalcum will be great for a wider range of things.
Re: Quarterstaff and Fletching 11/20/2011 07:24 PM CST
<<Just curious, but what reason?

Drunk GM information pumping.
Re: Quarterstaff and Fletching 11/20/2011 08:39 PM CST
>>Drunk GM information pumping.

I'll take that with a very large possibly enchantment friendly grain of salt, then.
Re: Quarterstaff and Fletching 11/20/2011 08:41 PM CST
Adamantium will be the best enchanting metal, IMO, provided you have the healing factor necessary to handle the enchantment process.
Malkien
Re: Quarterstaff and Fletching 02/05/2012 01:47 AM CST
I'm hoping Tyrium is receptive to enchanting as I happen to have had a Tyrium QS made after my first KD run. Didn't turn out too shabby either, especially on the balance.

A tyrium quarter staff is a quarter staff pole-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
moderate puncture damage
poor slice damage
extreme impact damage

You are certain that the staff is excellently balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the quarter staff is nearly impervious to damage, and is practically in mint condition.

The quarter staff is made with metal.
You are certain that the quarter staff weighs exactly 60 stones.
You are certain that the quarter staff is worth exactly 1516290 kronars.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.