QS or SS 03/13/2010 07:18 PM CST
Currently have a new character I started playing and trying to roleplay them as needing a cane to walk. But I also want to RP him being very skilled with his cane to use it in combat as well. Have him train a combination of brawling and QS or SS. Any recommendations on a nice store bought QS or SS that I could pull this off? Maybe I could even get lucky and find a store that sells a cane that is actually a weapon?
Re: QS or SS 03/13/2010 07:27 PM CST
<< Currently have a new character I started playing and trying to roleplay them as needing a cane to walk. But I also want to RP him being very skilled with his cane to use it in combat as well. Have him train a combination of brawling and QS or SS. Any recommendations on a nice store bought QS or SS that I could pull this off? Maybe I could even get lucky and find a store that sells a cane that is actually a weapon? >>

Carve a cane, its free and its a QS.
Re: QS or SS 03/13/2010 07:31 PM CST
There are some brooms that are QS's out there. My primary character's weapon is:

A twisted rowan broomstick with hazel-twig brush is a quarter staff pole-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
no puncture damage
no slice damage
heavy impact damage

You are certain that the broomstick is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the rowan broomstick is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

You are certain that the rowan broomstick weighs exactly 50 stones.
You are certain that the rowan broomstick is worth exactly 3750 kronars.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

I think that's a standard QS stat template, so nothing grand, but I like the RP of killing stuff with a broom.

~ Purehand

"Composed of rock, the gargoyle is a statue come to life at the hand of an ambitious mage." - Construct.
Re: QS or SS 03/13/2010 09:46 PM CST
QS hands down over SS. QS while some are heavy, has decent stats, SS just don't.

A brass jailer's nightstick with inconspicuous studs is a short staff melee-ranged weapon.

no puncture damage
no slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the nightstick is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the jailer's nightstick is somewhat flimsy, and is in pristine condition.

The jailer's nightstick is made with metal.
You wonder if the jailer's nightstick might weigh a few tens of stones.
You are certain that the jailer's nightstick is worth exactly 1804 dokoras.

An orange-striped shortstaff is a short staff melee-ranged weapon.

no puncture damage
no slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the shortstaff is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the orange-striped shortstaff is somewhat flimsy, and is in pristine condition.

The orange-striped shortstaff is made with metal.
You wonder if the orange-striped shortstaff might weigh a few tens of stones.
You are certain that the orange-striped shortstaff is worth exactly 90 dokoras.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: QS or SS 03/14/2010 05:15 AM CDT
Perhaps more importantly, there are plenty of canes that are QS weapons. I can't think of a short staff that is. The new money grubbers in Muspar'i drop a nice variety of canes.

A bone-inlaid cane is a quarter staff pole-ranged weapon.
no/no/heavy fairly/fairly 50 stones
Re: QS or SS 03/21/2010 06:14 AM CDT
I believe there is a gnarled cane (short staff -n/n/f) still sold in Leth for a few gold. The best SS by ratings, however, is a short steal spear (f/p/f), but as a fest item it is selling for many plats. In contrast, there are a wide variety of good QSs, the best QS by ratings being a partisan (f/m/gr) and also selling for many plats, and there are free QS like the pike staff's of haven swampies with a fairly good and balanced rating.
Re: QS or SS 03/21/2010 09:34 AM CDT
The atapwi is pretty solid, as far as QS go. Also, it's storebought.
Re: QS or SS 04/28/2010 09:04 AM CDT
I know this is kind of late in posting but I just returned recently and am catching up on the forums...This SS is pretty fun and has good construction to not ding up to fast if at all. It was from the barb wagon at the merelew fest if i remember right.

An ironwood nightstick with a black sharkskin grip is a short staff melee-ranged weapon.

no puncture damage
no slice damage
moderate impact damage

You are certain that the nightstick is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the ironwood nightstick is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The ironwood nightstick is made with metal.
You estimate that the ironwood nightstick weighs around 30 stones.
You are certain that the ironwood nightstick is worth exactly 35000 lirums.

Wanderer Larze

Your mind hears Aethyrr thinking, "fyrel I can't lick my hips"
Re: QS or SS 04/28/2010 10:45 AM CDT
That does look nice. Too bad every storebought SS is terrible...

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: QS or SS 04/28/2010 05:26 PM CDT
I think nightsticks of that same rating are sold on Hara as well.
Re: QS or SS 04/28/2010 08:18 PM CDT
>I think nightsticks of that same rating are sold on Hara as well.

Nope, they have lower construction. Which is a pretty major issue when you can destroy the weapon simply by attacking.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: QS or SS 04/29/2010 08:01 PM CDT
Does anyone have the stats for the night stick sold in the barb shop (Ironwood nightstick studded with steel thorns)? I bought one but my app is only 140 or so and I'm not getting certain on my appraisals yet.

~Sulakhan

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: QS or SS 04/29/2010 10:19 PM CDT
An ironwood nightstick studded with tiny steel thorns is a short staff melee-ranged weapon.

no (0/10) puncture damage
no (0/10) slice damage
fair (3/10) impact damage

You are certain that the nightstick is fairly (3/9) balanced and is fairly (3/9) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the ironwood nightstick is somewhat flimsy, and is in pristine condition.

The ironwood nightstick is made with metal.
You are certain that the ironwood nightstick weighs exactly 35 stones.
You are certain that the ironwood nightstick is worth exactly 3500 lirums.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

After a long deliberation, the judge finally says, "Jalika, this court finds you innocent of the charges brought upon you. You are free to go. Guards, please return this woman's things.
Re: QS or SS 04/29/2010 10:25 PM CDT
Thanks.

~Sulakhan

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi