QS comparison 08/23/2009 04:44 PM CDT
So, I'm kind of bored and curious as to what kind of quarterstaves are out there.

Share yours, tap/look/appraisal

Here's my main (altered sharkskin wrapped QS)

TAP: an iron-capped quarterstaff intricately carved from sana'ati wood
LOOK: The austere shaft crafted from wood native to the forests of Leth Deriel has been finished to a fine polish, allowing the weapon to glide effortlessly. Imposing iron caps, artfully embellished with an abstract engraving of the Sana'ati Dyaus, have been set on each end serving as cruel augmentations to ensure bruised flesh and shattered bone.

An iron-capped quarterstaff intricately carved from sana'ati wood is a quarter staff pole-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
no puncture damage
no slice damage
heavy impact damage

You are certain that the quarterstaff is reasonably balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the iron-capped quarterstaff is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

You are confident that the iron-capped quarterstaff weighs about 50 stones. (it actually does weigh 50)

- Terra
Re: QS comparison 08/23/2009 04:53 PM CDT
I have two.

This one is from a merchent that was around, hmm, second gorbish war I want to say? Sometime not long after the web move:

>tap quart
You tap a banded ebony quarterstaff that you are holding.
>l quart
You see nothing unusual.
>app quart
A banded ebony quarterstaff is a quarter staff melee-ranged weapon.

moderate puncture damage
poor slice damage
heavy impact damage

You are certain that the quarterstaff is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the ebony quarterstaff is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

The ebony quarterstaff is made with metal.
You wonder if the ebony quarterstaff might weigh several tens of stones.
You are certain that the ebony quarterstaff is worth exactly 250 lirums.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

This one is much more recent, its also 2HB:

>push staff
You fiddle with your threefold staff, reforming it into a quarter staff.
>tap staff
You tap a quarter staff that you are holding.
>l staff
The staff is constructed of heavy wood, polished darkly and engraved with a swirling pattern.
>app staff
A quarter staff is a quarter staff pole-ranged weapon.

no puncture damage
no slice damage
heavy impact damage

You are certain that the staff is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the quarter staff is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

You wonder if the quarter staff might weigh several tens of stones.
You are certain that the quarter staff is worth exactly 24030 lirums.
Re: QS comparison 08/23/2009 04:57 PM CDT
old player carved cane, dyed.

An ebon-hued cane is a quarter staff melee-ranged weapon.

no puncture damage
no slice damage
heavy impact damage

You are certain that the cane is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the ebon-hued cane is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

You estimate that the ebon-hued cane weighs around 15 stones. (18 stones actually)
You are certain that the ebon-hued cane is worth exactly 11 dokoras.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: QS comparison 08/23/2009 05:03 PM CDT
>>a banded ebony quarterstaff

I have this one in my vault as well. The stats are nice, but it is pretty heavy, I forget how much exactly but it's at least 10 stones heavier than most staves.

- Terra
Re: QS comparison 08/23/2009 05:13 PM CDT
<< I have this one in my vault as well. The stats are nice, but it is pretty heavy, I forget how much exactly but it's at least 10 stones heavier than most staves. >>

Yeah, I am not sure what the weight is, I remember when I first bought it all those ages ago, I was shocked at how long it took to swing the thing. Back then the way to do QS was carved canes, you could get increadably light canes that hit hard pretty easily, that all got changed though. These days I get the same RT on it as I do the three fold staff, so didnt realize it was heavier then normal. Its nice that it has puncture and slice damage, but I carry the 3 fold instead because I like to use the 2HB as well.

I always thought there should be some more lightweight QS options available, hard weapon to pick up when young, granted there is SS for light weight, but I dont think all QS need be so heavy, I mean they dont have to be telephone poles!
Re: QS comparison 08/23/2009 05:23 PM CDT
>>I always thought there should be some more lightweight QS options available, hard weapon to pick up when young, granted there is SS for light weight, but I dont think all QS need be so heavy, I mean they dont have to be telephone poles!<<

Yeah, I like mine because even though it's 50 stones it is reasonably balanced which helps me get a reduced RT with higher agility.

Another great and cheap QS is the pike staff from Haven swamp trolls. It has puncture damage as well. The only drawback to it is that it is melee range, not pole. Not that I often find myself fighting at pole range, but still.

Also, the two staves from the War Mage tent at Chris' Mass were great impact and 50 stones, which is really good.

- Terra
Re: QS comparison 08/23/2009 06:57 PM CDT
<<So, I'm kind of bored and curious as to what kind of quarterstaves are out there.>>

<<Share yours, tap/look/appraisal>>

Like Yamcer, the QS I actually used for a long time is one of the old 16 kronar branches I carved into a cane long ago. I foraged at the NE gate back then for over 2 hours before I finally got one. I kind of like the whole gnarled look:

A gnarled wooden cane is a quarter staff melee-ranged weapon.

no puncture damage
no slice damage
heavy impact damage

You are certain that the cane is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the wooden cane is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

You are certain that the wooden cane weighs exactly 18 stones.
You are certain that the wooden cane is worth exactly 16 kronars.

-- For variety I would sometimes use my two nuja a bit. The ozols nuja is equal to the crossing quarterstaff, and the uguns is a little harder hitting:

An ozols nuja is a quarter staff pole-ranged weapon.

no puncture damage
no slice damage
heavy impact damage

You are certain that the nuja is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the ozols nuja is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

You are certain that the ozols nuja weighs exactly 50 stones.
You are certain that the ozols nuja is worth exactly 4200 kronars.

>Tightly coiled cords, meant to provide a better grip for sweaty hands, swirls around this stout oak staff about a third of the way from each end.

A poker-scorched uguns nuja is a quarter staff pole-ranged weapon.

no puncture damage
no slice damage
great impact damage

You are certain that the nuja is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the uguns nuja is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

You are certain that the uguns nuja weighs exactly 60 stones.
You are certain that the uguns nuja is worth exactly 4875 kronars.

>A spiral pattern burned into the full seventeen-hand length of this nuja creates a whirling illusion at the slightest movement.

-- But I like using something that actually says "quarterstaff", so once I hit minimum RT on a Crossing quarterstaff that's what I use now.

>You tap a quarterstaff that you are wearing.

Kaxis

TIP OF THE DAY:
A heavy crossbow is a heavy crossbow type weapon.
Re: QS comparison 08/25/2009 12:00 AM CDT
To The Teeth glaive:

An eighteen hand glaive with a white witchclaw haft is a quarter staff pole-ranged weapon.

fair puncture damage
moderate slice damage
heavy impact damage

You are certain that the glaive is poorly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the eighteen hand glaive is moderately strong, and is in pristine condition.

The eighteen hand glaive is made with metal.
You guess that the eighteen hand glaive weighs around 65 stones.
You are certain that the eighteen hand glaive is worth exactly 184600 lirums

Believe it's 60 stones to be exact. But the appraisal as near as I can tell trumps all other QS's out there, and it also swaps to a m/m/f halberd

Segmere
Re: QS comparison 08/29/2009 04:26 PM CDT
That might be the best at 60 stones, but can get a bit more at 65 stones.

A partisan with a broad woodgrain-steel blade is a quarter staff pole-ranged weapon.

fair puncture damage
moderate slice damage
great impact damage

You are certain that the partisan is poorly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the partisan is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The partisan is made with metal.
You are certain that the partisan weighs exactly 65 stones.
You are certain that the partisan is worth exactly 43200 lirums.

And it swaps to a h/h/f halberd.

Telrenth
Re: QS comparison 08/29/2009 04:31 PM CDT
Worse balance, but that's definitely a good weapon.
Re: QS comparison 08/29/2009 10:06 PM CDT
Wow thats pretty nasty.

Wonder what impact (if any) RuE would have on that.

~Maryhana
Re: QS comparison 08/29/2009 10:48 PM CDT
Partisans are nice. I had mine altered.

You get a broad-bladed partisan with viper skin-covered shaft from atop a steel wire rack which is in a secure vault.

>look part
Eighteen hands from end to end, the broad spearhead of this partisan is forged from woodgrain-patterned steel. The pristine metal has green-tinted lines etched into it by some acidic substance. A couple of viper fangs dangle on leather thongs from the base of the spearhead. The shaft is covered in the supple skin of a viper, allowing the scales to give a secure grip in the fiercest of battles.

Here are also a few apps of other Quarter Staffs I have in my vault.

You get a poker-scorched uguns nuja from atop a steel wire rack which is in a secure vault.

A spiral pattern burned into the full seventeen-hand length of this nuja creates a whirling illusion at the slightest movement.

From Rakash merch. I think.

A poker-scorched uguns nuja is a quarter staff pole-ranged weapon.

no puncture damage
no slice damage
great impact damage

You are certain that the uguns nuja is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

You think it is likely that the uguns nuja weighs around 55 stones.
You are certain that the uguns nuja is worth exactly 3517 dokoras.

A heavy basalt staff capped with a sharp iron point shaped like a scorpion's stinger is a quarter staff melee-ranged weapon.

moderate puncture damage
poor slice damage
moderate impact damage

You are certain that the staff is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the basalt staff is somewhat flimsy, and is in pristine condition.

The basalt staff is made with metal.
You estimate that the basalt staff weighs around 50 stones.
You are certain that the basalt staff is worth exactly 541 dokoras.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: QS comparison 08/30/2009 08:59 AM CDT
Another nice thing about the partisans is they can fit on the those harnesses that sold with the belt frogs. Well they will fit in QS mode at least.

Mujaki, paladin of the people.
Re: QS comparison 09/03/2009 08:37 PM CDT
Well now, if you want to compare quarterstaff collections...

DESCRIPTIONPUSLIMRANGEBASUCONSTRUCTIONWEIGHTNOTES
a polished mistwood staff topped with a jagged-edged silver finialnonoheavypolefairlyfairlyaverage50
an ironwood staff surmounted by a sculpted obsidian panthernonoheavypolefairlyfairlysomewhat flimsy50
an ironwood staff surmounted by the sculpted image of a jade wolverinenonoheavypolefairlyfairlyaverage50
a staff carved with the image of a fox chasing a possumnonoheavypolefairlyfairlysomewhat flimsy50
a heavy ash quarterstaff bound in iron at both endsnonogreatpolefairlyfairlyaverage60
a gnarled black willow staff incised with gilded mystic symbolsnonoheavypolefairlyfairlyaverage50
a mangy wooden mopnonoheavypolefairlyfairlyaverage50
a bo stick carved with spiny leaves down its lengthnonomoderatepolefairlyfairlysomewhat flimsy40
a darkly stained ebony quarterstaff with black leather-wrapped gripsnonoheavypolefairlyfairlyaverage50
a simple cured driftwood staff with a black flag rolled around itnonoheavypolefairlyfairlyaverage80
a gnarled black willow staff carved with a menacing dragonnonoheavypolefairlyfairlyaverage50
a banded ebony quarterstaffmoderatenoheavymeleefairlyfairlyaverage80
a smooth bone staff wrapped with ruddy strips of furnonoheavypolefairlyfairlysomewhat flimsy50auto-strapped
an ozols nujanonoheavypolefairlyfairlyaverage50
a poker-scorched uguns nujanonogreatpolefairlyfairlyaverage60
a leaf-blade spear with an oaken haftlow/modpoor/lowheavy/lowpolefairlyfairlymoderately strong45qs/pike
an ox-tongue spear with a stout iron-studded haftfair/heavylow/lowheavy/lowpolefairlyfairlymoderately strong55qs/pike
a steel-banded walnut staff with a fire-blackened finishnonogreatpolefairlyfairlyaverage50
a steel-capped ironwood quarter staff carved with multiple cambrinth-inlaid symbolsnonogreatpolefairlyfairlyaverage50
a partisan with a broad woodgrain-steel bladefair/heavymoderate/heavygreat/fairpolepoorly/fairlyfairly/fairlyfairly sturdy65qs/halberd

I used to have one of the banded acanth quarterstaffs, but I believe it broke.
I currently use the ox-tongue spear (in QS form of course, not pike).
an ox-tongue spear with a stout iron-studded haft that is drenched with blood and dangling entrails
an ox-tongue spear with a stout iron-studded haft that is covered with blood and strips of flesh
an ox-tongue spear with a stout iron-studded haft that is dripping with blood and bits of fatty tissue
an ox-tongue spear with a stout iron-studded haft that is bloody and dotted with bits of bone
an ox-tongue spear with a stout iron-studded haft that is slick with blood
an ox-tongue spear with a stout iron-studded haft that is smeared with blood
an ox-tongue spear with a stout iron-studded haft that is spattered with blood
an ox-tongue spear with a stout iron-studded haft that has flecks of blood on it

Ain't it purty?

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

Faerie tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know dragons exist. Faerie tales tell children that dragons can be killed.
- G.K. Chesterton
Re: QS comparison 09/06/2009 11:17 AM CDT
Wow Shavay, very nice. I don't have several of those, they are very nice. I haven't even seen some of them before. Here are a few that you don't have listed.

1. a twisted pike staff etched with narrow veins of iron (Melee)(45 stones I believe)
moderate puncture damage
poor slice damage
moderate impact damage

You are certain that the pike staff is somewhat flimsy, and is in pristine condition.

2. a hardened maple bo stick (Pole) (Critter drop)
no puncture damage
no slice damage
moderate impact damage

You are certain that the stick is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bo stick is somewhat flimsy, and is in pristine condition.

3. a steel*-*banded walnut staff with a fire*-*blackened finish (Pole)

no puncture damage
no slice damage
great impact damage

You are certain that the walnut staff is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

4. a sleek iron atapwi (Pole) (Sold in Leth)
no puncture damage
no slice damage
great impact damage

You are certain that the atapwi is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the iron atapwi is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

5. an ironwood staff covered in fine black leather (Pole) (Sold in Leth)
no puncture damage
no slice damage
heavy impact damage

You are certain that the ironwood staff is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

Amazing collection Shavay :-)

- Terra
Re: QS comparison 09/09/2009 12:35 AM CDT
>>Here are a few that you don't have listed.

Well, yeah, I don't intend to have a complete collection of staves, I've just picked up a bunch over the years. I've only actually USED a small handful, but there ya go.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

Faerie tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know dragons exist. Faerie tales tell children that dragons can be killed.
- G.K. Chesterton