Quarterstaff 01/12/2009 09:56 AM CST
I just recently took up the quarterstaff for RP purposes on my Crystal Hand Monk moon mage. Currently using the Bo Stick sold in crossing. I can swing a 36 stone bastard sword around with 1-4 second roundtimes, but when I swing that glorified "stick" I constantly end up with 4-6 second round times. I've tested the Ashen quarterstaff bound with iron at each end as well. It was so slow and did hardly more damage I went back to the Bo for the occasional 4 second round time.

I don't understand why you can buy a store bought two handed sword and immediately began doing critical damage on opponents yet I've made my way to eels with quarterstaff and sadly find the overall quality of compared store bought weapons to be un-balanced.

So I did a little re search into the historical references of the weapon and this is what I found. The Bo Staff range from heavy to light, from rigid to highly flexible, and from simply a piece of wood picked up off the side of the road to ornately decorated works of art. Some believe its roots are from sticks used across your shoulders to carry buckets of water and fish.

Also generally they were excellent climbing tools for monks as well as used highly for submission moves rather than lethal attacks due to the power they can inflict. The design makes them nearly perfect tools for displacing all the force generated into thrust attacks into one single point causing severe internal as well as external damage. While tapered ends offered substantial slice and whip impacts. Many Martial art forms focus heavily on the staff over swords and other weapons do to its power and ease of use.

I challenge any of you to swing a two handed sword faster than you can thrust, jab and swing a staff with two hands with real life weapons made for combat. Its just not very logical for the weight requirements for blunt weapons to hit hard. And many historical swords held with two hands did as much or more impact damage as cutting. The Katana is an example of a sword held with two hands which attacks very fast. Yet the same sword can easily be used with 1 hand. I hope there are staffs in game that actually reflect the power and utility of the historical weapon.

Also. Are their any future plans to add player made staffs of comparable quality to other player made weapons? Make the staff into a climbing aid? Or implement any submission moves to be used with a quarterstaff weapon?

Eventually my goal is to reach quarterstaff, longbow and light thrown as my top three weapons and keep all edged close behind. I love the Dance verb on staffs as well as the Lean verb. They make excellent role play tools.

Re: Quarterstaff 01/12/2009 10:16 AM CST
To further your comments...

I've wanted my ranger to have skill in QS for roleplay purposes as well. I also like the idea that he can forage up a branch (limb, etc) and be combat ready in a pinch.

That said, I have a horrible time training the thing. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Also note I have fairly low skill in the thing in the grand scheme of things.

Stats: 24 STR, 23 AGIL.
HE: 115
QS: 45
short bow: 35

Currently I hunt vines/creepers (mainly for defenses). With HE in the 110-120 range it's no contest. I can pull out my home made short bow (skill: 35) with store-bought arrows and kill off a vine or creeper in 6-7 shots. With QS (a pike staff, specfically) at about skill 45 I can hit but they're all "brushing" and of no consequence. This is while I'm nimbly balanced and overwhelming my opponent.

I've tried blood wolves and thunder rams and can eek out some light hits now and again. It does seem to do a good job off-balancing the opponent, but no significant damage. I can mow them down with the short bow.

I can't imagine that all these guys are that good against impact damage. Plus, in theory the pike staff will do puncture as well, but I can't get much out of jabs or lunges.

I also can't seem to hit from pole range. Whenever I try with the staff in hand I'm "not close enough" until the critter gets to melee. I should pull a log for that.
Re: Quarterstaff 01/12/2009 05:16 PM CST
first, not all quarterstaff weapons are pole range. You will have to appraise it to see which range it strikes at.

second, it seems teh QS template for some unknown reason is extremely heavy. Most QS's you'll find are over 60 stones. This is the reason for the long roundtime.

I was lucky enough to be around back when we could carve canes that were heavy impact and around 16-20 stones. I use that cane mostly for training.

It is a tough weapon class especially for new characters with lower stats. In order to reduce your swing RT you will need to train your strength up. Since it is for RP purposes you should have issues with sacrificing other stats for your character.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Quarterstaff 01/12/2009 06:09 PM CST
Ah, well crud.

You're absolutely right.

First off, the pike staff is a melee only quarter staff. I had no idea. That's what I get for assuming. (If it's so short, why won't it fit in a backpack or sheath?)

Second of all, it was utterly trashed ("battered and practically destroyed."). I'd hazard a guess that that wasn't helping anything.

I happened to be passing by El Bain's so picked up a lightened bo stick and had significantly better results, at least on blood wolves right next door.
Re: Quarterstaff 01/12/2009 07:06 PM CST
>I happened to be passing by El Bain's so picked up a lightened bo stick and had significantly better results, at least on blood wolves right next door.

I was going to suggest this. The good news is, quarter staff does get better when you can handle the heavy weapons. There are a few out there that do great impact damage at 50 stones. At 60 stones, just about all of them do. Here's what I use:

A steel-capped ironwood quarter staff carved with multiple cambrinth-inlaid symbols is a quarter staff pole-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
no puncture damage
no slice damage
great impact damage

You are certain that the staff is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the ironwood staff is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

The ironwood staff is made with metal.
You are certain that the ironwood staff weighs exactly 50 stones.
You are certain that the ironwood staff is worth exactly 12000 lirums.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

At minimum RT, this thing is pretty nice.
Quarterstaff 01/12/2009 07:29 PM CST

That cane represents the lack of thought put into the quarterstaff weapon class.

18 stone canes doing more damage than 30+ stone quarterstaffs and bo sticks.

A cane of all quarterstaff type weapons is what people covet so much to sell for 200+ platinum as the game offers no accurate or realistic alternative.

The Quarterstaff is a tool for energy transfer more so than most weapons can ever hope to achieve. Its ease of use is well known throughout the world making it last through centuries of weapon advancements.

Making it a great weapon for beginners as well as experts, as it takes little skill to use and offers lethal power as well as utility for submissions and climbing.

And if a staff doesn't appraise as excellent balance...that is just not realistic either.

Staff types are determined by width at the center and at the ends along with how many sides, length, weight and flexibility of the shaft. Balance is essential.

I'm not the only person who has been confused with the limited damage being done with staffs weighting less than 50 stones.

I might as well just point out that a staff is not a club. They are not a simple bludgeon device that only does damage from weight.

Staff should be on its own damage system. Staffs should NEVER be that heavy and in reality the more weight you add to them from size and length, only decreases their structure strength making them easy to break. Bend or break.

Staff should deliver damage based on how SOLID or FLEXIBLE the material is along with the type of attack, the strength, skill and agility of the attacker...not its weight.

( I did not say identical as Im certain I'll get plenty of response to this)

A system nearly identical to the one used to craft player made bows could work for the staff system. And the QUALITY of wood will determine damage and not the amount of weight... That seems to be the best route for sustaining the historical qualities of the weapon.

The thing I'm most concerned with is if there will ever be grapple moves available or if the staff will get its spot as a climbing aid with the new climb system.

Re: Quarterstaff 01/12/2009 11:15 PM CST
aiming for reality with DR weapons isn't exactly a fruitful endeavor. i doubt staff will ever be given a climbing bonus, as we have ropes for that.

i do wish weapons other than longbow/shortbow/blades would get some love though.
Re: Quarterstaff 01/12/2009 11:18 PM CST
We are working on methods of bringing equality to the various weapon types. I highly doubt that you'll see completely different damage models as suggested, but the means of creation among other conciderations are most certainly being worked on.

GM Oolan Jeel

"One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs." Robert Firth
Quarterstaff 01/13/2009 12:37 AM CST
Thanks very much
Re: Quarterstaff 01/13/2009 02:00 PM CST
>i doubt staff will ever be given a climbing bonus, as we have ropes for that.

I don't know. I think it would be a nice little perk for QS. Something to make systems work a bit more cohesively instead of needing X item for Y skill that does nothing else. It shouldn't bonus anywhere as high as ropes but it should help some if you were hiking up steep terrain or stairs even.

Jalika

Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Ragran's pockets and carefully grab a platinum.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
Re: Quarterstaff 01/13/2009 02:09 PM CST
Perhaps one way to balance out less favorable weapons is to make them user creatable. I haven't been back in the swing of things long, but shortbows, longbows and heavy slicers all have outstanding player made versions.

It seems that QS, blunts, thrown... don't. Maybe if more high quality options were available it would naturally expand.

I really liked the idea that was essentially "fletching" quarter staves. Maybe add in a little technique like forging to you can go with heavy vs light, stiff vs flexy, and make some choices.
Re: Quarterstaff 01/13/2009 02:58 PM CST
>It seems that QS, blunts, thrown... don't.

Actually, all blunts except light blunt can be forged. They're certainly less popular, but they are better than storebought.
Quarterstaff 01/13/2009 08:22 PM CST
I think the climbing bonus is very reasonable. And take downs, and brawling maneuvers for each weapon class that can actually be used in such ways.

A lightened bo stick is a quarter staff pole-ranged weapon.

You are confident that it could do:
no puncture damage
no slice damage
moderate impact damage

You are certain that the stick is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the lightened bo stick is somewhat flimsy, and is in pristine condition.

The lightened bo stick feels light.
You are certain that the lightened bo stick is worth exactly 218 kronars.

No slice or pierce damage?

Boring, Unrealistic, and the impact damage is LESS than many store bought ONE hand weapons.

Please listen to me on this one. The quarterstaff is not a blunt weapon in the same sense a club or hammer is. Yes the staff deals impact damage more than anything else. But its not impact from weight, its impact from force.

Pulling with one arm and pushing with the other to drive the weapon. The Quarterstaff impact comes from the speed and strength it was swung and the material's ability to resist counter forces.

Basically the harder the material, and the power driving it are the factors of impact damage. It is not a club. Please keep this is mind when altering the weapons.

The quarter staff does not need weight to deliver lethal impacts.

From a scientific point of view its just a tool. It takes all your force and delivers it to a single point of impact on a target a safe distance away.
Quarterstaff 01/13/2009 08:39 PM CST
I was just reading some previous posts, And actually the word Bo is the japanese word for Weapon, not stick. So its a Weapon stick. And as mentioned in my previous post, could be anything from a stick picked up from the side of a road to ornate works of art.

Even though the developers made the Bo Stick use-able with 1 hand. Thats actually not accurate either to the historical weapon. If its one handed its a cane.

And of course they make walking canes weighting less than 20 stones hit like trucks.

A bo stick hitting from pole range held with one hand makes no sense at all. The cane should work as a one handed short staff and hit melee. No QS weapon type is use-able with one hand.

If its pole ranged it should not be one hand. Its hard not to be annoyed with this when its so simple to figure out with common sense.
Re: Quarterstaff 01/14/2009 09:50 AM CST
Seriously, poster VERATHOR...Real Life =\= Dragonrealms. Trying to apply RL logic and physics to the mechanics of DR will only lead to a headache, the sooner you can disassociate the two, the better off you'll be.

Secondly, the walking canes you're talking about are 'old' and can no longer be made.

You're also incorrect on the definition of 'bo'. It does in fact mean 'wood', 'stick', or 'staff', which is why you have Bo, HanBO, BOkken, and so on. I'd show you the kanji, but i don't think the DR forums support it.

And, having studied martial arts for around 20 years now, i can guarantee that there are many one-handed moves with a staff. It is primarily a 2-handed weapon, no argument there, but it also has a number of one-handed uses.

But again, it all comes back to RL =\= DR. A weapon can have whatever name or stats the designer feels like giving it.
Quarterstaff 01/14/2009 04:55 PM CST
Fair enough about trying to compare reality to DR. Even though DR is the most realistic game I've played.

But you are wrong about Bo. Bo stick = Weapon Stick. Bo is the japanese word for weapon.
Quarterstaff 01/14/2009 05:12 PM CST
I just did a little bit of research, And it appears The word Bo means Staff or stick and refers the the farm tool.
Wish I could remember where I read it was a word for weapon.
And even though it has one handed uses, I wont argue at all about that. I still feel its a two handed weapon based on the classic way to hold a bo is in thirds with two hands.

I hope you don't take offense by the serious nature I post. I'm not room temperature and tend to feel strong in one way or another on things.

I hope everyone considers my opinions at least. I only post idea's to help the game maintain its level of high quality and realism.

Re: Quarterstaff 01/14/2009 09:15 PM CST
I for one can't wait to see what happens with QS if the previous GM post is anything to go by. I picture a top end QS to match my 2he bastie appraisal swapping for impact with l/l/s r/f. Hope that or something similar comes about!
Re: Quarterstaff 01/15/2009 05:19 AM CST
really bo is just a shortened version of rokushakubo. So bo basically means, yes, staff. rokushakubo, kinda loosely translates at a staff of 6 shakue ( length)

And yes, I too believe QS staff needs some major loving, I understand that DR is not RL, but the whole QS thing has always bothered me.
Re: Quarterstaff 01/15/2009 05:57 AM CST
>>And yes, I too believe QS staff needs some major loving, I understand that DR is not RL, but the whole QS thing has always bothered me.

The vast differences between the various weapons types has bothered me a good long while too. However, a resolution to this requires an approach from several directions. Some of it needs to come from the combat system end itself. Much of it needs addressed in the item creation systems. Simply opening up a merchant that has a version of everything at {insert favored weapon stats} quality level however is NOT a proper resolution that actually benefits the game no matter how much I'm sure it sounds good at face value. Does the quality of items sold in shops and merchants need addressed as well? Most certainly, but without the other steps in place at the same time it simply won't really do the job that is needed.

As you may recall I've already taken some steps in the past to try to bring certain weapons up in quality but the effort was partially wasted as none of the other needed resolutions were lined up and ready. Where we can we are inputing changes to help, but ultimately we need to address this on a vaster scale than any quick or simple fixes can address so it is going to take us some time to get it all straightened out. But trust me in that Dartenian, myself and several other concerned GM's have been in discussion on what steps we need to take to get there.

GM Oolan Jeel

"One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs." Robert Firth
Re: Quarterstaff 01/16/2009 12:44 AM CST
Incidentally I purchased one of the custom glaives in Rossman's and love it. Swappable QS and Halberd - durable (so you're not repairing it constantly) and not too heavy as QS's go and does alot of damage so its good for training.

You can wear it over your shoulder with a weapon strap but it also fit in my weapon harness, staff harness and belt worn greatsword sheath if not more containers that I neglected to try.

Only drawback is it takes 10 rl days (I think?) to have them crafted and a few plat if I recall. Pretty nice range of custom finishes to accomodate the style of your existing gear as well.

skaen
Re: Quarterstaff 01/16/2009 09:31 AM CST
What are the stats in QS and halberd mode? Weight? I've been meaning to buy one of those for awhile now.
Re: Quarterstaff 01/16/2009 11:57 AM CST
<<What are the stats in QS and halberd mode? Weight? I've been meaning to buy one of those for awhile now.>>

Unfortunately I gifted it to a younger moonmage to replace the pitiful quarterstaff he was using and the file I had all my notes in died an ignoble death. Never again will I place all my eggs in one basket. Hopefully someone else can post the glaive stats.

skaen
Re: Quarterstaff 01/16/2009 12:28 PM CST
Rayje (user GODKIN IIRC) posted the apps in the halberd category when they first came out. May want to search for it there.

~Thilan
Re: Quarterstaff 06/02/2009 01:15 AM CDT
<<The vast differences between the various weapons types has bothered me a good long while too. However, a resolution to this requires an approach from several directions. Some of it needs to come from the combat system end itself. Much of it needs addressed in the item creation systems. Simply opening up a merchant that has a version of everything at {insert favored weapon stats} quality level however is NOT a proper resolution that actually benefits the game no matter how much I'm sure it sounds good at face value. Does the quality of items sold in shops and merchants need addressed as well? Most certainly, but without the other steps in place at the same time it simply won't really do the job that is needed.>>

<<As you may recall I've already taken some steps in the past to try to bring certain weapons up in quality but the effort was partially wasted as none of the other needed resolutions were lined up and ready. Where we can we are inputing changes to help, but ultimately we need to address this on a vaster scale than any quick or simple fixes can address so it is going to take us some time to get it all straightened out. But trust me in that Dartenian, myself and several other concerned GM's have been in discussion on what steps we need to take to get there.>>

<<GM Oolan Jeel>>

I for one do very much look forward to that day Oolan.

~Beliel
Carrying Quarterstaff 07/09/2009 09:30 PM CDT
Hi all,

I've been searching around for information, but haven't found much... can someone tell me whether there are any containers that a quarterstaff (the bo stick, specifically) can fit into? I mistakenly thought it should be able to fit into a harness like the type sold in the shop at Wolf Clan, and upon ordering it and seeing that it didn't fit, realized that I'd wasted my money...

Any suggestions?
Re: Carrying Quarterstaff 07/09/2009 09:41 PM CDT
A shoulder tube should work. You've also got weapon straps and rucksacks.

A polished leather back harness might work, but those aren't terribly cheap since folks like to store crossbow on them.
Re: Carrying Quarterstaff 07/10/2009 03:26 AM CDT
Three possibilities:

Rucksack from Boar Clan -- tie it onto it

Weapon strap -- easy to make, worn over a shoulder

Greatsword sheath from Theren -- I'm not 100% sure on this one, but it holds spears and longbows so I'm guessing at least one if not two staves'd fit into it

Segmere
Re: Carrying Quarterstaff 07/10/2009 07:03 PM CDT
Shoulder tube from .... ?Shard?

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Weapon Combo Balance List
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/balance.xls
Re: Carrying Quarterstaff 07/10/2009 07:38 PM CDT
>Shoulder tube from .... ?Shard?

Isn't there one sold in Theren, general store?
Re: Carrying Quarterstaff 07/10/2009 08:47 PM CDT
THe shoulder tube is indeed from the Theren general store. Would a quarterstaff fit in a backtube from Wolf Clan? I know I can fit multiple spears in there.

~Talo, Prydaen Barbarian~
Re: Carrying Quarterstaff 07/10/2009 08:48 PM CDT
Generally speaking, if you can fit a full spear (not the short handled ones) you can fit a quarterstaff.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Weapon Combo Balance List
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/balance.xls
Re: Carrying Quarterstaff 07/10/2009 08:57 PM CDT
That's what I was thinking. My Paladin has carried up to 4 gold tasseled spears or 3 harpoons (as that was all I had) from the Merelew fest in a backtube, so there is that possibility.

~Talo, Prydaen Barbarian~
Re: Carrying Quarterstaff 07/10/2009 10:21 PM CDT
>That's what I was thinking. My Paladin has carried up to 4 gold tasseled spears or 3 harpoons (as that was all I had) from the Merelew fest in a backtube, so there is that possibility.

Doesn't the backtube take up the 'back' slot, which is normally used for backpacks and the ilk? So the user would need a fairly large shoulder slot item, like a haversack, catapult basket, or so on, to accomodate.
Re: Carrying Quarterstaff 07/11/2009 09:54 AM CDT
Carry-all in Hiba general store would work. some of the boats in Ilaya Taipa have shoulderworn spidersilk containers aswell, but getting the right ship to dock is a pain.