New Empath and QS 08/19/2008 03:55 PM CDT
I'm new Empath starting out and have been thinking of Using a QS with a few other weapons including some type of pike weapon. Was wondering what type to start with or if I really should. I don't have a lot yet but can work my way up to something. Ok thank you, Aralee.
Re: New Empath and QS 08/19/2008 04:36 PM CDT
I think you may want to consider another guild perhaps.

Drachus - Interprovincial Gold Champion, Kaith Kirm 370 AV - Open Team Combat, Division 2
Re: New Empath and QS 08/19/2008 04:49 PM CDT
I use a quarterstaff as my parry weapon. I started off with a simple carved cane to get some of the basics down, but really the only way for an empath to learn the skill is to parry all the time or listen to lessons, (or teach the lessons themselves). I now have a respectable amount of quarterstaff, but even more parry. Good luck with learning the staff, I like mine for many reasons.

Francelia
Re: New Empath and QS 08/19/2008 04:55 PM CDT
You'll want a light, but sturdy one. I haven't had a QS break on me, but it is possible.

~ Player of Lyathe
Re: New Empath and QS 08/19/2008 05:28 PM CDT
If you want to go inexpensive to begin with carve a cane. Beyond that sturdy and balanced is best. Look at the weapon guide Hanyru has put a lot of effort into. I like the lightened bo stick for a store-bought.

No reason not to use one if it fits the character. Consider the two-handed aspect though. Train shield. You can wear a small one after 50 ranks which frees up your hands. While you could even use a QS I don't recommend it.

Asbhuan
Re: New Empath and QS 08/19/2008 05:31 PM CDT
Pay attention to weapon balance. If QS is anything at all like blunts, it won't parry worth crap and you'll not learn much weapon experience.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: New Empath and QS 08/19/2008 05:41 PM CDT
My personal recommendation would be to just use carved canes (in case you don't know about it, just forage up a branch and then while holding it and a carving knife use the command 'carve branch with knife' 2-3 times to produce what you need), since you're only using them for defensive purposes, and virtually all QS weapons ever introduced to the game have about the same level of balance (typically in the 'fairly balanced' range). They're a bit heavy at 50 stones, but they're completely replaceable and thus, disposable, so when you're done hunting, just toss it in the nearest waste bin. If you worry about breakage (which won't be an issue until much later anyway) you can carry an extra non-carved branch or two in your backpack, etc.

The advice about also training shield is a good idea, you can arm wear a small shield (I suggest the 'ordinary shield' from the crossing armory to start with) by using the 'adjust <shield>' command. There is no circle/rank restriction on arm wearing a small shield for any guild (even commoners) as long as you're not using a ranged weapon, which isn't an issue as an Empath.

Putting the Romance back in Necromancer.

Necromancy: Because every man lives, not every man really dies.
Re: New Empath and QS 08/19/2008 06:59 PM CDT
<<My personal recommendation would be to just use carved canes (in case you don't know about it, just forage up a branch and then while holding it and a carving knife use the command 'carve branch with knife' 2-3 times to produce what you need), since you're only using them for defensive purposes, and virtually all QS weapons ever introduced to the game have about the same level of balance (typically in the 'fairly balanced' range). They're a bit heavy at 50 stones, but they're completely replaceable and thus, disposable, so when you're done hunting, just toss it in the nearest waste bin. If you worry about breakage (which won't be an issue until much later anyway) you can carry an extra non-carved branch or two in your backpack, etc.

<<The advice about also training shield is a good idea, you can arm wear a small shield (I suggest the 'ordinary shield' from the crossing armory to start with) by using the 'adjust <shield>' command. There is no circle/rank restriction on arm wearing a small shield for any guild (even commoners) as long as you're not using a ranged weapon, which isn't an issue as an Empath.

This is a good idea because I've been wondering about carrying the thing around. When I want to train I just carve one out and go. I bought that Ordinary shield so I lucked out there. I also have the Parry stick from Emmilines and that teaches parry and brawling good. Thanks Aralee.
Re: New Empath and QS 08/19/2008 07:01 PM CDT
>If QS is anything at all like blunts, it won't parry worth crap and you'll not learn much weapon experience.

My experience is that QS is better than the blunts for parrying, even using a carved cane. As a side note, a staff sling trains QS when using it to parry. Learning weapons only through parrying is slow.

Asbhuan
Re: New Empath and QS 08/20/2008 09:41 AM CDT
Get yourself a camb quarterstaff. You can combat like normal and use the camb of it to work magic at the same time. Get a weapon strap to hold it.

Leuc
Re: New Empath and QS 08/20/2008 09:49 AM CDT
Where can I find the Camb ones? Aralee.
Re: New Empath and QS 08/20/2008 11:30 AM CDT
Unless they snuck one in on me somewhere, I believe the cambrinth staves are fest only. Which means you'd have to find a character willing to sell theirs, or possibly on a Trader's table. Either way you can probably expect to pay out the nose for it.

Putting the Romance back in Necromancer.

Necromancy: Because every man lives, not every man really dies.
Re: New Empath and QS 08/20/2008 07:06 PM CDT
Until then I'll carve them and stick them on the shelf in the guild when I'm done. Aralee.
Re: New Empath and QS 08/20/2008 08:21 PM CDT
Pawn them, don't clutter up the shelf. Anyone can carve them.

~ Player of Lyathe
Re: New Empath and QS 08/20/2008 09:18 PM CDT
Put them on the shelf. Just be sure to junk at least 12 of the pies, lollipops, and dollies that seem to migrate there when you do.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: New Empath and QS 08/21/2008 08:57 AM CDT
>Unless they snuck one in on me somewhere, I believe the cambrinth staves are fest only. Which means you'd have to find a character willing to sell theirs, or possibly on a Trader's table. Either way you can probably expect to pay out the nose for it.

I don't know what you consider "pay(ing) out the nose". Most camb weapons are fairly expensive, cause they are generally of the weapon types used regularly, like the camb scim, crossbow, etc. The QS is rarer (cause people don't use it) but you can generally find them for around 10 plat. Still more expensive then carving canes.

If you want one, I have one. Will sell for 5 plat.

AIM TrickdOutHoe

Leuc
Re: New Empath and QS 08/21/2008 09:07 AM CDT
I am not an expert at quality but I really like the stout quarter staff in Boar Clan, its only a little over 4 silver dokoras and it hits like a truck.

Sitara In Plat.

"We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

- Tombstone epitaph of two amateur astronomers
Re: New Empath and QS 08/21/2008 10:31 PM CDT
Since you will only be parrying with the weapon there is not need to use anything other than a cane unless you just want to be holding a real weapon.

"Where there is enough evidence to charge someone with a crime, we vigorously prosecute, but not every wrong, or even every violation of the law, is a crime." - Attorney General Michael B. Mukasey
Re: New Empath and QS 08/21/2008 11:27 PM CDT
>Since you will only be parrying with the weapon there is no need to use anything other than a cane unless you just want it to last more than five hits before it breaks.

Fixed.

~ Sage Kougen Aensworth, Star Shaper of the Compact

Kssarh uses a night light. Not because Kssarh is afraid of the dark, but the dark is afraid of Kssarh.
Re: New Empath and QS 08/22/2008 01:39 AM CDT
Obligatory cane fighting video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuTeAaSG_i8
Re: New Empath and QS 10/10/2008 11:50 AM CDT
Wow, that was awesome.. I guess those are short staffs?

Tabby Faye