Irritated for lack of better options 06/02/2008 09:56 PM CDT
I train QS as my secondary weapon, which I've been needing at least 3 ranks of per circle and I'm tired of all the heavy quarterstaves out there. So my question is this, does anyone have an 18 stone cane they would be willing to part with? Please.

Or anything less than 50 stones would be nice actually, as long as it's not a lightened bo stick. Thank you, I can be contacted on AIM at DRMeigus, or simply reply to this post with an appraisal of said cane or staff.

And on another note, are there any plans to make lighter quarterstaves? I know it's not a popular weapon choice, but 50 stones is killing me! Thanks.
Re: Irritated for lack of better options 06/03/2008 10:17 AM CDT
>>Or anything less than 50 stones would be nice actually, as long as it's not a lightened bo stick.

A regular bo stick is under 50 stones as well.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
Re: Irritated for lack of better options 06/03/2008 12:38 PM CDT
train strength?

I think theres some swappable quarterstaff weapons that were sold at the To The Teeth Merchant.
Perhaps they weigh less.
Re: Irritated for lack of better options 06/03/2008 01:03 PM CDT
Well, the point of the ligther quarterstaff was to avoid training strength too high, I have other stats I'd rather work on. Is the To The Teeth merchant the one that had all the sharkskin stuff? Because I got the QS from there.

I keep checking the bazaar tables in Crossings and can't seem to find a nice light QS. So, I suppose I could either suck it up and train strength despite my better judgement, or keep looking.
Thanks for your input folks

~Terra
Fire Dancer of Velaka
Re: Irritated for lack of better options 06/03/2008 01:25 PM CDT
If you want a damaging QS, you're going to have to go 50+ stones.

Just a side message Galren... I don't know if you changed your last name to Rippentrop or not, but you're listed on the Ratha register as Galren Norim... Saw that yesterday.
Re: Irritated for lack of better options 06/03/2008 02:39 PM CDT
>If you want a damaging QS, you're going to have to go 50+ stones.

Yep. But if you want to avoid training strength, you can get a well balanced one and pump agility. I get minimum RT on a 50 stone QS with 28 strength and 51 agility. However, you will need to train stamina a bit, especially when you get the RT down.

Basically, a QS is a massive weapon, and you need pretty high stats to make good use of it. It isn't a good weapon for a weak magic user, despite the stereotype set in other games.
Re: Irritated for lack of better options 06/03/2008 05:03 PM CDT
Try a pike staff, but dont parry with it. With a pike staff you can also do puncture damage and they only weigh 40 stones.

The combo I used: parry, thrust, sweep, chop, draw, and either slice or lunge.

If I were to spite my face, in my opinion, cutting off my nose would be a reasonably good start.
Re: Irritated for lack of better options 06/03/2008 05:09 PM CDT
I did have pretty good luck with a pike staff before. But I got the same RT. I guess there's no way around training more strength, I just tried to avoid it because it's not a strong suite for my race (Elf). The only thing I didn't care for with the pike staff is the fact that they are melee weapons instead of pole. But in the grand scheme of things, that's not a really big deal.

I'll go to Haven and pick one up again now that I've trained strength one more time. Thanks Jhime.

~Terra
Fire Dancer of Velaka
Re: Irritated for lack of better options 06/03/2008 05:31 PM CDT
They really need to make the penalty for ignoring strength greater

Just a side message Galren... I don't know if you changed your last name to Rippentrop or not, but you're listed on the Ratha register as Galren Norim... Saw that yesterday.
Re: Irritated for lack of better options 06/03/2008 05:37 PM CDT
Hmm, well personally I do not IGNORE strength by any stretch of the imagination. I just don't train it as heavily as my other stats. I do know there are some killer, but rare, old canes that were carved before some kind of system change took place,that hit hard and were very light in comparison to other quarterstaves. That is what I was looking for.

The solution to train strength and stamina was painfully clear to me when I made my original post and I was just trying to find a viable way aruond it while I train other statistics first.
Re: Irritated for lack of better options 06/13/2008 07:58 PM CDT
>If you want a damaging QS, you're going to have to go 50+ stones.

Not necessarely true. Mine is 22 stones. My char carved it back when he was 18th ... a number of years back and has
Heavy Impact. Yes HEAVY IMPACT. And Moderately Strong too so wont break like a twig. If you are a caster and have no plans on taking your STR high Terra that is what you are looking for one of those old player carved canes like mine. As my STR is still just under 40 I do not yet plan to part with mine. However once it does get past 40 I will be using the swapable Partisan.

Good luck finding one for sale last one I saw sell was last year for 250 plat.