Staff learning 02/10/2008 08:19 AM CST
So Im swinging my stick twice as often as my HE and THE and even though Im landing massive hits with my staff Im not seeiming to get as many EXP bits per strike as the edged counterparts. Is this normal? Why would I not train a staff as fast as edged, it doesnt seem reasonable. Perhaps I am hitting harder with my Nimsha and my Claymore, but still if Im swinging the stick twice as much shouldnt the learning be equal?

Initiate Barbarian Omicidio
Re: Staff learning 02/10/2008 05:11 PM CST
>>So Im swinging my stick twice as often as my HE and THE and even though Im landing massive hits with my staff Im not seeiming to get as many EXP bits per strike as the edged counterparts. Is this normal?

Yes.

Some weapons really need their exp calcs re-evaluated.
Prime: Malkien
Prime: (Necromancer Bob- coming to DR in '08!)
TF: Ganymede
Re: Staff learning 02/11/2008 12:54 AM CST
>Some weapons really need their exp calcs re-evaluated.

I dont think its the calcs, but instead a simple flaw in all the non-popular weapon classes in game.

I can find tons of 21/28 stone HE and 2HE, heavy slice and better weapons, but nothing really equivalent for QS. With such light, powerful edged weapons available its much easier to hit harder, faster, and fill your experience pool quicker than using any other melee weapon class.

YOUR AD HERE $$$
Re: Staff learning 02/11/2008 01:10 AM CST
>>I can find tons of 21/28 stone HE and 2HE, heavy slice and better weapons, but nothing really equivalent for QS. With such light, powerful edged weapons available its much easier to hit harder, faster, and fill your experience pool quicker than using any other melee weapon class.

They exist. Just not a common. I own a 22 stone hand carved old cane. That has "Heavy Impact".

As I said they exist.
Re: Staff learning 02/11/2008 01:32 AM CST
>>They exist. Just not a common. I own a 22 stone hand carved old cane. That has "Heavy Impact".

I have one of these too, and it still doesn't learn as well as a forged HE broadsword.
Re: Staff learning 02/11/2008 04:14 AM CST
Yeah impact damage is just so different from slice damage. So I find items like blunts and staffs to take a little bit longer to kill than slicers. Add into the fact that many slicing weapons also have a decent amount of puncture and impact damage and you get even more disparity.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Staff learning 02/11/2008 06:33 PM CST
Hell it takes like half an hour to lock staff sling in a swarm sometimes. :/ When I can lock my next weapon on the same rank in the same area in 30- sec to a min.
Re: Staff learning 02/11/2008 09:28 PM CST
>They exist. Just not a common. I own a 22 stone hand carved old cane. That has "Heavy Impact".

Its not whether or not they exist, but whether they are readily available. Players shouldnt have to find "old" discontinued items or wait for a festival simply to train one weapon type effectively.

YOUR AD HERE $$$
Re: Staff learning 02/12/2008 08:21 PM CST
Forgive me, I quit for 4 years and missed this. Can canes no longer be carved with heavy impact, or simply not at that weight?

Almost threw out my 18 stone heavy impact cane thinking I could just carve another, but I guess I'm glad I didn't.

-Father Gheist
Re: Staff learning 02/12/2008 09:47 PM CST
>>Forgive me, I quit for 4 years and missed this. Can canes no longer be carved with heavy impact, or simply not at that weight?

Nope.
Re: Staff learning 02/13/2008 02:19 PM CST
>Forgive me, I quit for 4 years and missed this. Can canes no longer be carved with heavy impact, or simply not at that weight?

All canes carved are 50 stones with the basic Crossing quarterstaff appraisal

YOUR AD HERE $$$
Re: Staff learning 02/15/2008 11:57 AM CST
How much do the old canes go for?
Re: Staff learning 02/15/2008 05:02 PM CST
>>How much do the old canes go for?

I bought mine for 200. That was some time ago.