Lowest hinderance/Plate opinion 02/11/2013 02:34 PM CST
Since 3.0 has been out a bit, I was wondering what has come up as the lowest hindrance plate armor you can get.

I'm not really worried about protection(Potentially not worried at all if the hindrance is low enough), so light plate templates are fine.

This is also a question coming from an armor tertiary, and I'm looking at full suit hindrances (plate/helm/gaunt, or any other combination that works better), I know just before the 3.0 release Apu had a set that come to "fairly" hindered with out a shield, but I'm curious if anyone has come up with something better than that.

As a second thought, if anyone has opinions on the matter, which would be better for an armor tertiary? Light protection plate with low hindrance or damite for the protection and forget about the hindrance hit?
Re: Lowest hinderance/Plate opinion 02/11/2013 02:37 PM CST
>>As a second thought, if anyone has opinions on the matter, which would be better for an armor tertiary? Light protection plate with low hindrance or damite for the protection and forget about the hindrance hit?

As a tertiary, I would recommend you forget the idea of using plate as your primary armor class and wearing a full plate suit.

This is not to say that it's not plausible by any means, but I tried a full-plate setup on my Cleric (who had access to half a dozen defensive buffs) and still found it rough, especially when I stanced to evasion. I would recommend you only wear plate gauntlets/helm and consider leather or chain on the body.
Re: Lowest hinderance/Plate opinion 02/11/2013 03:41 PM CST

>>As a tertiary, I would recommend you forget the idea of using plate as your primary armor class and wearing a full plate suit.

>>This is not to say that it's not plausible by any means, but I tried a full-plate setup on my Cleric (who had access to half a dozen defensive buffs) and still found it rough, especially when I stanced to evasion. I would recommend you only wear plate gauntlets/helm and consider leather or chain on the body.

YMMV:

As an armor tert with close ranks of light and plate armors, I am about 300% more survivable in plate due to taking FAR less damage per hit than I was in leathers.

On that note, I use the most protective/hindering armor I could find. With the lighter/less-hindering plate I was doing about the same (just barely better) as leather.
Re: Lowest hinderance/Plate opinion 02/11/2013 03:44 PM CST
>>As an armor tert with close ranks of light and plate armors, I am about 300% more survivable in plate due to taking FAR less damage per hit than I was in leathers.

What guild? Can you provide more specifics?

This is strange because I found the exact opposite to be true. I tried the most hindering, most protective plate available to me (Gnome Quest damite full plate), and I was getting ripped up and almost dying vitality deaths even though my wounds were minimal. I switched to a chain on body/brigandine helm and gauntlets setup and now I'm fine.
Re: Lowest hinderance/Plate opinion 02/11/2013 04:49 PM CST

Warmage. Tested Gnome Quest plate, lightened lumium plate, and shalswar leathers.

The summary was, with buffs I wasn't touched much regardless, but after an hour-ish hunting I had a good number of scratches and cuts with both the lumium and leathers. Didn't have a scratch (even though I was hit 1.5x and 3x as often as the lumium and leather, respectively) with the damite plate.

Without buffs, I made it about 12 minutes before dying in leather, 14 minutes before dying in lumium, and 38 minutes before dying in damite. I was hit over three times as many times in damite as I was in leather.

I tried a number of variations, adjusting stances, etc, and all came to about the same conclusion for me.

Best advice I can give it to try stuff and see what works best for you, your particular skills, and your playstyle.
Re: Lowest hinderance/Plate opinion 02/11/2013 05:22 PM CST
If I had the money to test a bunch, believe me I would, right now I could easily afford any mix of lumium, or I could save up for damite, thus my question there.

I really appreciate the thoughts so far, but plate is an RP choice for my character, and I fully accept it will likely never be as good as using a lighter armor, I'm just looking for the best of my worst case scenario.

Thanks again, and please continue to comment.
Re: Lowest hinderance/Plate opinion 02/11/2013 05:30 PM CST
Plate seems viable to me on any non stealth character and definitely isn't worse then lighter alternatives.

Ive used plate on a bard/warr mage/cleric and plate has generally allowed me to hunt at places earlier then i normally would.