Re: Armor niche for LP->Brigandine 01/21/2011 09:29 PM CST
>From the sound of it (although I could be wrong), it seems like heavy plate may be getting "heavier" and brigandine is going to include a lot of what people typically see within the HP category right now.

But if LP becomes like old HP and old HP becomes Super-HP, doesn't it remain useless since it'll remain just as inferior as it ever was?

On the flipside, if they change Brigandine to being stealth-type armor, it raises the question of what would be done to stop Bone-type armors from continuing to be useless. It can only have so much stealth hindrance before it turns into "same as having no stealth at all", and if that becomes the issue then it once again turns back to "May as well use Heavy Plate".
Re: Armor niche for LP->Brigandine 01/21/2011 09:33 PM CST
>>But if LP becomes like old HP and old HP becomes Super-HP, doesn't it remain useless since it'll remain just as inferior as it ever was?

It matters. If the new combat makes not dodging and absorbing/deflecting tons of damage a viable option, maybe Paladins might consider if they're the type that wants to dodge or the type that wants to absorb.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: Armor niche for LP->Brigandine 01/26/2011 11:05 AM CST
"it raises the question of what would be done to stop Bone-type armors from continuing to be useless."

Bone-type armor will no longer exist... it will merge with Leather and Cloth and become "light armor". At least that's my understanding. The existing peices will probably remain useless.
Re: Armor niche for LP->Brigandine 01/26/2011 11:18 AM CST
>>Bone-type armor will no longer exist... it will merge with Leather and Cloth and become "light armor". At least that's my understanding. The existing peices will probably remain useless.

Unless a light armor user wanted to trade maneuverability for protection, which seems to have been the point.

Who knows, it might even be a desirable swap in Combat 3.0.
Re: Armor niche for LP->Brigandine 01/26/2011 04:29 PM CST
>>The existing peices will probably remain useless.

Don't conflate "will use a different skill" with "will stop existing" :)

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Armor niche for LP->Brigandine 04/08/2011 09:06 PM CDT
>Honestly it always bothers me that guilds work off armor hindrance differently other than just skillset placement.
>I mean if someone was tertiary they already had to work almost 3x as hard to get to that 500 as someone with Primary armor, why should they deserve less of a reward?

I argued this in the past, and a red name told me it was because some guilds get "secret guild training" to let them maneuver better, even if you have. There are similar issue comes with bows and the inability to shoot two arrows even if you have 1000 ranks in it - though that's a different matter entirely.

I'm hoping this sort of thing changes in the future, especially since I've heard they're wanting to rid of Cleric's mana regeneration bonus due to it "being unfair to other guilds." I always found it excessively strange that losing tens of evasion ranks through hinderance due to not knowing "the secret" is fair yet +0.4~+0.6% mana per tic is deemed overpowered.
Re: Armor niche for LP->Brigandine 04/08/2011 09:38 PM CDT
I can't swear to it, and definitely can't point to a post that says it.. But I believe the general motion is for benefits like the armor hindrance thing "just because they're paladins and are awesome at armor" are going away, to be more based off ranks.

DRPrime - Celeres Turrance
DRPrime - NecroUnknown
Re: Armor niche for LP->Brigandine 04/09/2011 12:09 AM CDT
I wouldn't mind these niches having a home in the form of armor feats. Heck, if magic is going to have feats and weapons are going to have feats, why can't Armor have feats based off of the Defending skill?

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Armor niche for LP->Brigandine 04/13/2011 06:27 PM CDT
>I wouldn't mind these niches having a home in the form of armor feats. Heck, if magic is going to have feats and weapons are going to have feats, why can't Armor have feats based off of the Defending skill?

Possibly irrelevant, but I'd love it if non-Paladins could protect eachother even if they suck far worse than it than Paladin's version. It'd serve as a major way to bring benefit back into team hunting, too.
Re: Armor niche for LP->Brigandine 04/16/2011 08:36 AM CDT
I am far Paladins having cool Paladin only things.

But this protect thing, I just don't feel it being Paladin only, but then I don't feel making and fixing lockpicks should be thief only, and that double load thing Barbarians and Rangers should be only Barbarians and Rangers, I think locksmiths should be able to smith locks (and the lockpicks that go along with them), and archers should be able to archery feats, and tactful adventurers should be able to use the best tactics get the job done.

Back to the orginal Plate Armor.

How about Light Plate, what's going to be awesome about it, and make one of my Paladins want to use it. He's an elothean...

Well I tried.