Full Plate? 10/07/2010 08:02 AM CDT
All I see for sale in the trader shops is field plate. Is full plate armor just no good? I'm trying to find the highest protection HP I can, weight and hindrance don't really bother me.
Re: Full Plate? 10/07/2010 08:35 AM CDT
Full plate is better at ohh...800 stones or so over field plate.

Madigan
Re: Full Plate? 10/07/2010 08:44 AM CDT
>>Full plate is better at ohh...800 stones or so over field plate.

Does anyone sell it?
Re: Full Plate? 10/07/2010 09:15 AM CDT
>>>>Full plate is better at ohh...800 stones or so over field plate.

>>Does anyone sell it?

Why would you want to wear it. The weight and hinderance penalty would hurt you more then the protection gained.

But yea I can make it for you.

Crusader Taghz

DFA = DISC + AGIL + TM > Evasion + Reflex

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: Full Plate? 10/07/2010 09:35 AM CDT
>>Why would you want to wear it. The weight and hinderance penalty would hurt you more then the protection gained.

If the hindrance difference between field and full plate is enough to negate the extra protection what's the point in full plate?

What should I be looking for in capped field plate then if weight isn't an issue?
Re: Full Plate? 10/07/2010 12:42 PM CDT
<<Why would you want to wear it. The weight and hinderance penalty would hurt you more then the protection gained.

With enough strength / ranks, would it eventually be worth it? Or is the hindrance so high it can't ever get trained down to reasonable levels?

DRPrime - Celeres Turrance
Re: Full Plate? 10/07/2010 01:08 PM CDT
I'm pretty sure if Madigan and Taghz are both saying essentially, "Meh," about it, it's probably not the way you want to go, under any reasonable circumstances.

Ogdaro
From the chrysalis's manifold and disparate streams of consciousness, you infer that, upon maturing, it will claim its makers as its first sacrifices to the All-Seeing.
Re: Full Plate? 10/07/2010 01:29 PM CDT
>Full plate is better at ohh...800 stones or so over field plate.

You mean full plate visibly appraises better at 800 stones, right?

>Why would you want to wear it. The weight and hinderance penalty would hurt you more then the protection gained.

Absorbtion is percentage damage reduction. As you approach the high end of the scale, losing some evasion is worthwhile, depending on your guild. It's a good deal for a Paladin, IMO.

Also, 800 stones really isn't that much weight considering that's the weight of a full bundle now. (805 actually, but close enough.)

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Full Plate? 10/07/2010 01:37 PM CDT
I would like to hear more.

I will continue to get blunter on this topic until people get the message or my posts contain enough profanity to be removed. - Armifer
Re: Full Plate? 10/08/2010 12:26 AM CDT
>I would like to hear more.

Protection caps at 85% damage reduction. That's a hard cap. But still, can you imagine that kind of protection?

Here's the app on my half plate:

The half plate is heavy plate.

The plate looks like it offers protection for the following areas:

right arm
left arm
chest
abdomen
back

You feel certain that some half plate appears to impose high maneuvering hindrance and overwhelming stealth hindrance, offering:
high protection and great damage absorption for puncture attacks.
high protection and great damage absorption for slice attacks.
moderate protection and great damage absorption for impact attacks.
good protection and high damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and high damage absorption for cold attacks.
poor protection and high damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing some half plate you could expect your maneuvering to be fairly hindered and your stealth to be somewhat hindered.

You are certain that the half plate is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The half plate is made with metal.
You are certain that the half plate weighs exactly 510 stones.
You are certain that the half plate is worth exactly 3000 lirums.
Roundtime: 5 seconds.

I chose half plate over field or full plate strictly for exp concerns (LP greaves), not protection. All of my armor is like this though, I use a relatively heavy set of mixed protection (LC/HC, LP/HP). Here's my chain body armor:

The full chain shirt is heavy chain.

The shirt looks like it offers protection for the following areas:

right arm
left arm
chest
abdomen
back

You feel certain that a full chain shirt appears to impose moderate maneuvering hindrance and moderate stealth hindrance, offering:
good protection and high damage absorption for puncture attacks.
good protection and high damage absorption for slice attacks.
good protection and high damage absorption for impact attacks.
moderate protection and good damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and good damage absorption for cold attacks.
poor protection and good damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing a full chain shirt your maneuvering would be lightly hindered and your stealth would be lightly hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently fairly hindered and your stealth is fairly hindered.

You are certain that the full chain shirt is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The full chain shirt is made with metal.
The full chain shirt is moderately flexible.
You are certain that the full chain shirt weighs exactly 416 stones.
You are certain that the full chain shirt is worth exactly 1400 lirums.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

I noticed my death rate dropped off steeply after switching to heavier armor. This was before the last changes to open rolls. Since then, I've died just once, due to losing my internet connection while training shield. (That's happened multiple times, I just died once.)

I'm really looking forward to the armor changes:
Shield Usage: 1005 55% mind lock (34/34) Leather Armor: 930 56% rapt (30/34)
Light Chain: 934 28% mind lock (34/34) Heavy Chain: 921 13% mind lock (34/34)
Light Plate: 849 91% understanding (14/34) Heavy Plate: 855 13% very focused (21/34)
Cloth Armor: 852 57% understanding (14/34) Bone Armor: 832 87% thoughtful (4/34)

>describe boar
Re: Full Plate? 10/08/2010 12:41 AM CDT
>Protection caps at 85% damage reduction. That's a hard cap. But still, can you imagine that kind of protection?

Did you find this out empirically, or based on GM information?

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi, Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Full Plate? 10/08/2010 07:18 AM CDT
>>Protection caps at 85% damage reduction. That's a hard cap. But still, can you imagine that kind of protection?

>>Did you find this out empirically, or based on GM information?

He has no life. He just crunches numbers for his enjoyment in researching how things work.

Crusader Taghz

DFA = DISC + AGIL + TM > Evasion + Reflex

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: Full Plate? 10/08/2010 07:48 AM CDT
800 more stones wont make a difference to my encumbrance.

If I just want to maximize my protection and I only use HP what should I be looking to buy?
Re: Full Plate? 10/08/2010 08:17 AM CDT
Once upon a time Ssra said he'd like to make 1000 stone plate worthwhile. I wonder if there's a GM out there picking up his cause.

Magus Adakin of Prime
WorldsBestMagic Kastr of TF

>cast
Your body already swells with the enhanced strength of a hero.

"Killing Time Murders Opportunities."
Re: Full Plate? 10/08/2010 08:36 AM CDT
JMF,

That 510 stone half plate appraises just like the 380 stone set, but with more hinderance. Is it that the 510 set is on the higher end of the ranges?

If not, why use the 510? If so, I wonder if the increased hinderance negates the increase in protection/absorption?
Re: Full Plate? 10/08/2010 07:09 PM CDT
>>>Protection caps at 85% damage reduction. That's a hard cap. But still, can you imagine that kind of protection?

>Did you find this out empirically, or based on GM information?

Some GM mentioned it once, I believe it was on the boards. It could have been on chatter in TF though. I just know that I've had it in my notes for a couple years now. Testing it empirically would be difficult, even for someone with no life like me.

>That 510 stone half plate appraises just like the 380 stone set, but with more hinderance. Is it that the 510 set is on the higher end of the ranges?

That is my assertion. FYI, the difference between low end great absorbtion and high end great absorbtion is 10%. That may or may not be worth the evasion hit. For me, my number one consideration is avoiding complete destruction of vital bodyparts in normal hunting. I can't give you the exact numbers on armor though, I just don't have the energy and RL cash (for a second premie account to hold all the items I'd need to store) or the time to devote to it like I did with weapons. BTW, I plan to release my weapon compendium soon, hopefully this weekend.

>describe boar
Re: Full Plate? 10/09/2010 02:06 PM CDT
>>If I just want to maximize my protection and I only use HP what should I be looking to buy?

Answer my own question here, it looks like great slice protection is the cap for field plate. Is that right?

Is it worth the extra hindrance or should I just go with the 350 stone range high slice protection field plate?
Re: Full Plate? 10/10/2010 10:28 AM CDT
<<Madigan - Full plate is better at ohh...800 stones or so over field plate.

<<Coper - You mean full plate visibly appraises better at 800 stones, right?

Yes.

<<Taghz - Why would you want to wear it. The weight and hinderance penalty would hurt you more then the protection gained.

<<Coper - Absorbtion is percentage damage reduction. As you approach the high end of the scale, losing some evasion is worthwhile, depending on your guild. It's a good deal for a Paladin, IMO.

Even as a paladin, I do not see absorbtion stopping more than the evasion penalty lets through if I am hunting anything at level. More importantly, it doesn't mean squat in PvP so you need as much evasion as possible in PvP.

<<Coper - Also, 800 stones really isn't that much weight considering that's the weight of a full bundle now. (805 actually, but close enough.)

Agreed. Not a weight issue for me, more of a "I want more evasion" thing.

Madigan
Re: Full Plate? 10/10/2010 10:31 AM CDT
<<Answer my own question here, it looks like great slice protection is the cap for field plate. Is that right?

I have not seen great slice protection on field plate. I have seen it with full plate. I think you are talking about absorbtion. If so, then yes...great slice absorbtion is the cap.

<<Is it worth the extra hindrance or should I just go with the 350 stone range high slice protection field plate?

You can get great slice absorbtion (which is what I think you are talking about) on field plate in the 350's, so I would go with that setup.

Madigan
Re: Full Plate? 10/10/2010 10:44 AM CDT
>>I have not seen great slice protection on field plate.

Straight steel mix. Granted, these apps are part of the wonderfully useful durability 2.0 upgrade.... but uh, there you go.

>
The obsidian black armor is heavy plate.

The armor looks like it offers protection for the following areas:

right arm
left arm
right leg
left leg
chest
abdomen
back

You feel certain that some obsidian black armor appears to impose great maneuvering hindrance and insane stealth hindrance, offering:
high protection and great damage absorption for puncture attacks.
great protection and great damage absorption for slice attacks.
moderate protection and great damage absorption for impact attacks.
good protection and high damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and high damage absorption for cold attacks.
poor protection and high damage absorption for electrical attacks.

And with DA:

> app armor

The obsidian black armor is heavy plate.

The armor looks like it offers protection for the following areas:

right arm
left arm
right leg
left leg
chest
abdomen
back

You feel certain that some obsidian black armor appears to impose great maneuvering hindrance and insane stealth hindrance, offering:
great protection and extreme damage absorption for puncture attacks.
extreme protection and extreme damage absorption for slice attacks.
good protection and extreme damage absorption for impact attacks.
high protection and great damage absorption for fire attacks.
good protection and great damage absorption for cold attacks.
fair protection and great damage absorption for electrical attacks.

Mistrust is our only defense against betrayal.
Re: Full Plate? 10/11/2010 01:45 PM CDT
<<Granted, these apps are part of the wonderfully useful durability 2.0 upgrade.... but uh, there you go.

Yeah, noticed that as well after the change yesterday. Cool.

Madigan