The new tyrium-tipped spear 11/05/2010 05:29 PM CDT
Out of curiosity, if the new tyrium weapons are supposed to be the latest greatest (short of damite/kertig anyway) how come such a mediocre template was chosen for the tyrium spear?

This is the mahogany spear from dark defenders:

You are certain that the mahogany spear is about as strong as the tyrium-tipped spear.
You are certain that the mahogany spear is about as balanced as the tyrium-tipped spear.
You are certain that the mahogany spear is somewhat more suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength than the tyrium-tipped spear.
You are certain that the mahogany spear does a little more puncture damage than the tyrium-tipped spear.
You are certain that the mahogany spear does a little more slice damage than the tyrium-tipped spear.
You are certain that the mahogany spear does a little less impact damage than the tyrium-tipped spear.

This is the swappable iron-studded spear from To the Teeth

You are certain that the war spear is somewhat stronger than the tyrium-tipped spear.
You are certain that the war spear is about as balanced as the tyrium-tipped spear.
You are certain that the war spear is somewhat more suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength than the tyrium-tipped spear.
You are certain that the war spear does about as much puncture damage as the tyrium-tipped spear.
You are certain that the war spear does a little more slice damage than the tyrium-tipped spear.
You are certain that the war spear does about as much impact damage as the tyrium-tipped spear.

For tyrium and 300 or 1000 plat, I just expected a bit more, since every other weapon there compares better to any alternative.
Re: The new tyrium-tipped spear 11/05/2010 07:37 PM CDT
Fun fact: All of the weapons in Uwresari's shop are improved versions of weapons found around Ilithi (since that's his logical base of operations).

So the real question should be: Why are Ilithians bad a making spears?

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: The new tyrium-tipped spear 11/05/2010 10:10 PM CDT
There is a limit they put on GM's so that player forged stuff can compete.. It will be interesting to see what a player weaponsmith can do ith Tyrium when the new forging comes out.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: The new tyrium-tipped spear 11/06/2010 12:16 AM CDT
>>So the real question should be: Why are Ilithians bad a making spears?

There's no point.
Re: The new tyrium-tipped spear 11/06/2010 09:08 AM CDT
>>There's no point.

That's why the spears are bad.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: The new tyrium-tipped spear 11/06/2010 09:38 AM CDT
Why if the Wind Clan, and the Horse Clan use spears and axes as their primary weapons, are Ilithians still not able to make a point on their spears?

Re: The new tyrium-tipped spear 11/06/2010 11:01 AM CDT
I just find it slightly sad and frustrating that here was the perfect opportunity to make a pike worth using - the most expensive weapon merchant the game has ever seen. The already insane khuj template was improved upon, but the pike (which i had very high hopes for) is just a waste of money when i can go to dark defenders and buy a better one for 1/100th the price.

I mean i'm extremely happy with the fest overall. This is the best one i've seen since Merelew 1. I just don't understand why if a khuj can exist, let alone be made BETTER (the khuj is already arguably the best weapon off the shelf) for a fest version - why can't the most expensive pike in the game have an appraisal worth the price?
Re: The new tyrium-tipped spear 11/06/2010 11:05 AM CDT
Maybe there is some aspect we're not looking at, durability, ability to be enchanted [once new creation system is underway], light weight, ability to parry with... something?

Re: The new tyrium-tipped spear 11/06/2010 12:19 PM CDT
>>Maybe there is some aspect we're not looking at, durability, ability to be enchanted [once new creation system is underway], light weight, ability to parry with... something?

Durability is in the comparison. I can't get certain on weights, but the tyrium spear is 50 stones. the mahogany spear is 50 stones, the war spear is 55 stones.

Here's a spear that's 10 stones lighter than tyrium:

You are certain that the boar spear is about as strong as the tyrium-tipped spear.
You are certain that the boar spear is about as balanced as the tyrium-tipped spear.
You are certain that the boar spear is about as suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength as the tyrium-tipped spear.
You are certain that the boar spear does about as much puncture damage as the tyrium-tipped spear.
You are certain that the boar spear does about as much slice damage as the tyrium-tipped spear.
You are certain that the boar spear does a little less impact damage than the tyrium-tipped spear.
You wonder if the boar spear weighs quite a bit more than the tyrium-tipped spear.

I guess the impact on the tyrium is decent, but from what I understand, impact isn't used in puncture attacks. Am i incorrect in that assumption?
Re: The new tyrium-tipped spear 11/07/2010 07:22 AM CST
From what I've been told jab uses slice + puncture however, both thrust and lunge use puncture + impact.

As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: The new tyrium-tipped spear 11/07/2010 12:18 PM CST
>>From what I've been told jab uses slice + puncture however, both thrust and lunge use puncture + impact.

It would be really cool to have a list of all the combat moves and what is used to determine their effectiveness. Just general stuff like above:

ie Thrust uses Puncture Primary and impact secondary etc etc

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: The new tyrium-tipped spear 11/22/2010 10:48 PM CST
For the record, a player can make a spear reasonably close to the tyrium spear mentioned here with a forge factor of about 150 (barb) and the right mix. A forge factor of 150 takes what...about 5 weeks of play assuming reasonable amounts of time invested, no AFK scripting, and proper stat distribution?

With a fancy material beyond anything the world has ever seen before, a newborn could probably achieve something comparable to that spear by beating the metal barehanded.

As for Ilithi...Croegar is more than willing to offer the city smiths lessons...