need help 07/02/2010 02:07 PM CDT
was wondering where i can get the best store bought pike?? ive got round 30 str and 30 stam.....was also lookin for the best ht i can get with these stats....aim is kirkdeezy and email is stevekirkb@bellsouth.net help would be greatly appreciated
Re: need help 07/02/2010 02:38 PM CDT
I've always used a gold-tipped lance for pike training, but I never truly cared enough to find out which was best.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Weapon:Gold-tipped_lance

I will continue to get blunter on this topic until people get the message or my posts contain enough profanity to be removed. - Armifer
Re: need help 07/02/2010 03:53 PM CDT
If you're serious about heavy thrown, you may eventually want to invest in a throwing hammer. Spears can lodge in your quarry, and if the creature runs away, you'll lose your spear.

That being said, if you want a store-bought pike, I recommend the golden tasseled spear from Therenborough.

GOLDEN TASSELED SPEAR
Damage: heavy/low/low
Balance/Power: fairly/fairly
Weight: 40 stones

The gold-tipped lance from Steelclaw Clan is one-handed, but that convenience will cost you extra money, more weight, and less balance.

GOLD-TIPPED LANCE
Damage: heavy/none/fair
Balance/Power: poorly/fairly
Weight: 50 stones

The javelin from Shard is another one-handed option. The weight and balance are better than the golden tasseled spear, but it only does fair puncture damage.

JAVELIN
Damage: fair/poor/low
Balance/Power: reasonably/fairly
Weight: 35 stones

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: need help 07/02/2010 04:58 PM CDT
I'm a fan of the ngalio from Leth Deriel as far as pikes go. It's fair/mod/low fair/fair @ 45 stones. It's also HT, though there are far better options to fill that function, I wouldn't choose it for that aspect.

Upsides are that it's one-handed and fits in normal containers (no need for a strap or harness/tube, just toss it in your backpack) and that they can be customized at the shop when purchasing.

Downsides are the price (around 7.5 plat, depending on style) and its stats don't play to the strengths of the typical pike combo (but this downside will be going away eventually).

Ogdaro
Re: need help 07/03/2010 02:25 PM CDT
>>I'm a fan of the ngalio from Leth Deriel as far as pikes go.

This is what I used as well. I started with the Aersy Pike which was like Great/low/low or something I can't remember, but I find the ngalio both more versatile and easier to hit with.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: need help 07/03/2010 08:40 PM CDT
Lightweight forged javelins are a decent choice. 30-stone spears with reasonable balance are also a good choice. There are some decent heavy puncture spears out there as well. I happen to forge them, a few can be purchased. If you talk to ciressa, she may still have a few of mine, probably selling for less than a plat. If not, post here, I'll make you whatever it is you want (provided it's possible for me to do...Can get you a god-like puncture lance if you can put the shaft on it for me).
Re: need help 07/04/2010 03:20 PM CDT
5 gold each and I'm pretty sure I still have a couple.

===
Oleveir says, "One must be careful around the angry ODS women."