Decent melee pike? 12/12/2009 07:10 PM CST
I'm looking for a decent pike weapon for melee backtraining use. I'm not much interested how well it functions as a thrown weapon because I use hammers for HT, so I'm looking to maximize the melee capability. Storebought would be best probably since I think there's a short supply of good pike forgers, but its an option if someone is willing.

FrS is also an option for me, but I think that spell make halberds instead of pikes? I forget which it is.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: Decent melee pike? 12/14/2009 05:34 PM CST
What would make the pike "decent"? There aren't a whole lot of options that fit that description. As far as I know, I am the only forger for those weapons and let me tell you, its been a long freaking road with very little reward at the end of the line. Javelins cap at mod puncture, spears at heavy, and pikes at severe. Pikes proper can't even be forged at less than 88 stones. Construction isn't exactly prime on pike-class weapons either. Pikes proper cap at Average Strength, spears and javelins at If you are looking to dance with things, just forget this weapon class all together. If you're aiming to impale things, I can get you a heavy puncture spear, mod puncture javelin, or severe pike. I don't charge for my work. FsS makes M/l/l spear-style pikes if I recall.
Re: Decent melee pike? 12/14/2009 06:50 PM CST
<<If you are looking to dance with things, just forget this weapon class all together.

Just backtraining and I'm just looking for more damage to speed up exp.

<<If you're aiming to impale things, I can get you a heavy puncture spear, mod puncture javelin, or severe pike.

Severe pike sounds good to me even at 88 stones. I can swing around blunt weapons almost that heavy with no issues. Where can I get a hold of you?

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: Decent melee pike? 12/26/2009 09:51 AM CST
Evran,

I just picked this up at the fest (in case it closes down, I just picked one up for you) and I like it a lot for a pike weapon. It seesm to hit pretty hard and isn't too heavy.

A thick-shafted white ironwood boar spear with a barbed bronze point is a heavy thrown and pike melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
heavy puncture damage
low slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the spear is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the boar spear is somewhat flimsy, and is in pristine condition.

You are certain that the boar spear weighs exactly 40 stones.
You are certain that the boar spear is worth exactly 6000 lirums.

- Terra
Re: Decent melee pike? 12/26/2009 01:16 PM CST
<<I just picked this up at the fest (in case it closes down, I just picked one up for you) and I like it a lot for a pike weapon. It seesm to hit pretty hard and isn't too heavy.

Hmm, that's the same appraisal as the storebought spear I currently have, although the look is nice on it. I'll track you down sometime instead of buying my own, since I don't want you stuck with an extra one.

I did manage to get the khuj-that's-a-pike-not-a-halberd before they stopped selling it, and although it hits like a beast, its incredibly fatiguing because of its weight and so its going on the shelf for a while until I can get STR/STA higher.

A slender steel khuj with a mottled leather-wrapped grip is a pike pole-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
low puncture damage
severe slice damage
heavy impact damage

You are certain that the khuj is poorly balanced and is well suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the slender khuj is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

The slender khuj is made with metal.
You are certain that the slender khuj weighs exactly 143 stones.
You are certain that the slender khuj is worth exactly 10000 lirums.

-Evran

* Prophet Hotoke Fuku-Nyorai snuck out of the shadow he was hiding in.
Re: Decent melee pike? 12/26/2009 04:21 PM CST
Those pike-khujes are pretty ridiculous on weight. I still had mine shelved with 70 strength and 60 stamina. I haven't tried it lately though. I'll have to give it a shot.
Re: Decent melee pike? 12/26/2009 04:25 PM CST
Yeah, you might want to shelf that for awhile. I just tried it again with 99 strength, 99 discipline, 75 stamina and it quickly tanked my fatigue pool. Maybe with 99 stamina...

Also, the performance was lackluster. I'm sticking with the 80 stone great puncture pikes for now.
Re: Decent melee pike? 12/26/2009 06:23 PM CST
<<Yeah, you might want to shelf that for awhile. I just tried it again with 99 strength, 99 discipline, 75 stamina and it quickly tanked my fatigue pool. Maybe with 99 stamina...

That's good to know. I won't bother trying to get my str/sta to higher levels just for this any time soon then.

That said, using a capped Lilt I can just manage it now, so I'm in a fortunate position to be able to use it with less than capped stats. My biggest issue is that I'm backtraining it, and where I'm using it I need a capped Rage to be able to hit with it. So I have to decide between moving to a lower hunting area, being able to hit in a better hunting area, or not collapsing from fatigue.

If I can get it to a point where I don't need to use Rage to be able to hit in my ideal hunting area, then I'll be set. No need to worry about the STR/STA training. At least until the combat changes anyway...

-Evran

* Prophet Hotoke Fuku-Nyorai snuck out of the shadow he was hiding in.
Re: Decent melee pike? 12/26/2009 10:28 PM CST
This is exactly why I'm a fan of the lighter pikes until you get to roughly 30/30 on str/sta and at least 150 in the skill.

Also got the khuj from this fest, and last fest. Seems alot like the Ratha Paladin shop standards, cool stats but not really useable due to weight/fatigue issues.

Alexii points at a Velakan slaver and shouts, "Another one! Don't let it get away!"
Re: Decent melee pike? 12/28/2009 12:07 PM CST
For what it's worth, I think it was a mistake. I remember when it came out last year, someone had mentioned that they copied the old khuj template on accident instead of the new one.

I would so love to have a better looking Khuj too...

Gonif,

Are you suggesting that a spell be written specifically to allow necromancers to move into an area protected by holy magic for the purpose of constructing a vulture heart candy trail for Khurek to follow?

-Totenus
Re: Decent melee pike? 12/30/2009 08:07 AM CST
if anyone happens to want to get rid of their khuj pike, let me know. 115 stones means nothing to me. I frequently use one of my own 138-stone pikes, and one of Xixist's dev mattocks.
Re: Decent melee pike? 12/30/2009 01:19 PM CST
But can you use the rusty prison bar from the improv weapon shop!?! It's only a 300 stone QS...

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: Decent melee pike? 01/07/2010 06:03 PM CST
I made and used a 500-stone javelin more than once. Barbarian berserks mean NO weapon ever tanks your fatigue unless it can do so with a single swing (charging with a 500 stone weapon...even in stone STILL remains a bad plan).
Re: Decent melee pike? 07/02/2010 02:08 PM CDT
i would like to talk to you if youre still around my aim is kirkdeezy and my email is stevekirkb@bellsouth.net
Re: Decent melee pike? 07/02/2010 02:17 PM CDT
I use the short hunting spear from Arthe Dale for pike training. It's a terrible pike, but it fits inside stuff and teaches the skill adequately.

The best HT is an argument you're going to have to sort for yourself. I tend to stick to throwing hammers myself.